Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I'd like to try this IMAP stuff and have my Gmail emails forwarded to an IMAP account like fastmail. Only problem is that I receive alot of emails everyday (no not spam, but real emails I'd like to keep). Will I have problems with the free fastmail account? I understand that my emails would still be kept in my Gmail box even though they're forwarded to my fastmail account, but what happens if my fastmail account gets full? Does the free fastmail account have a limit? On the free fastmail account, it says that there are "Taglines on emails". What does that mean? Does fastmail insert ads or something in my mail forwarded from my Gmail account?

    Finally, I've seen lots of posts regarding Gmail and its "flakiness". I've never experienced any of this "flakiness" with Gmail and I've been using it since the invite only days of Gmail.

    If Gmail is so flakey, won't that flakiness also translate over to its forwarding feature / service and then affect my fastmail account?
  2. #2  
    I'm trying to remember, but I believe the free account has a 10MB limit. Once you reach it, it stops. They will send you and email notifying you that you're approaching the limit though.

    Should all be explained in the FAQ
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Ah ok, so if I reach that limit all I have to do is access fastmail on any web browser and manually clear my fastmail account? And all those emails are saved to my Gmail account anyway right?
  4. #4  
    And regarding taglines, when using the webmail version, if you respond within fastmail, it'll add a tagline to the bottom.

    You can't use fastmails smtp server with a seperate email client though. So, if you're using Chatter for instance, you'll have to use your gmail smtp server. (which you probably would anyways.)


    edit:
    Just want to clear this up a bit.

    The free fastmail account does not allow for using their smtp server with you email client. The paid version does.
    Last edited by Insertion; 06/08/2006 at 04:17 PM. Reason: clarification
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Ah ok, so if I reach that limit all I have to do is access fastmail on any web browser and manually clear my fastmail account? And all those emails are saved to my Gmail account anyway right?
    Thats correct, regarding fastmail. Can also be cleared with any email client, provided you use the purge or expunge feature.

    And when forwarding from gmail, make sure you check off the option to leave mail on server (from the gmail options menu.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Cool, thanks.
  7. #7  
    no prob.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8.    #8  
    Ok, got it all setup and have Gmail forwarding to my fastmail account now. Then I followed the instructions in the PDF file that came with Chatter on how to conifgure it for Gmail. I followed all the instructions except for the SMTP part. Instead of checking TLS, I checked SSL and put this in for my server: smtp.gmail.com:465

    I also have the auto syncing / email fetching turned off. The problem is, when I go to the menu and hit quicksync or quicksync all, my 700P resets.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Ok, got it all setup and have Gmail forwarding to my fastmail account now. Then I followed the instructions in the PDF file that came with Chatter on how to conifgure it for Gmail. I followed all the instructions except for the SMTP part. Instead of checking TLS, I checked SSL and put this in for my server: smtp.gmail.com:465

    I also have the auto syncing / email fetching turned off. The problem is, when I go to the menu and hit quicksync or quicksync all, my 700P resets.
    I'm using TLS, and not adding the port after the server. Also, do you have the Matrix SSL package?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10.    #10  
    I installed the ChatterMatrix.prc file. Is that the one?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I installed the ChatterMatrix.prc file. Is that the one?
    Yes. I had resets often when sending my gmails. The Matrix package (Thanx Marc!) fixed that.

    Other than that, maybe switch the settings to the ones I use?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12.    #12  
    Ok, switched it back to just smtp.gmail.com and put it back to TLS. When I tap on quicksync nothing happens. When I tap on quicksync all, I get this message, "No offline mailboxes to quicksync.". I just checked my fastmail inbox and there's a number of emails in there already. I didn't read them yet and I logged off of fastmail after that. Other than configuring Gmail to forward emails to my fastmail box, was there anything I had to configure in fastmail?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Ok, switched it back to just smtp.gmail.com and put it back to TLS. When I tap on quicksync nothing happens. When I tap on quicksync all, I get this message, "No offline mailboxes to quicksync.". I just checked my fastmail inbox and there's a number of emails in there already. I didn't read them yet and I logged off of fastmail after that. Other than configuring Gmail to forward emails to my fastmail box, was there anything I had to configure in fastmail?
    I haven't used fastmail in a long time. Luckily I still have the account set up (but offline) in Chatter. Just sent a test to my fastmail box, and got it fine with Quicksync.

    You have the server set up correct in Chatter?

    Server:mail.messagingengine.com
    Login: your name@fastmail.fm
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  14.    #14  
    Yeah, that's the same server I have for it. My login is for fastmail.us though.
  15. #15  
    When I started using Fastmail when I began using Chatter. Used the free service for a very short period of time and then up'd to a paid level. I have never had a problem or complaint with them. Ben
  16.    #16  
    Hmmm... If I'm gonna have to start paying for email service, then I think I'll just stick with Gmail and POP3.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Yeah, that's the same server I have for it. My login is for fastmail.us though.
    I'm lost. I can't think of anything else...probably some giant 5000 pound elephant of obviousness that I'm overlooking, but I can't think of it...

    Sorry. I'll post if I can think of anything else.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18.    #18  
    Could it be because it's just the trial version?
  19.    #19  
    Ok, while I try to figure out what's wrong, anyone know of an IMAP provider that has a one time fee to join besides FastMail's $14.95 one time deal?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Could it be because it's just the trial version?
    Of Chatter? No, unless the trial period has expired. But then you wouldn't be able to use it at all.

    Regarding email providers, I think fastmail is the only one I can think of that offers a one time fee. Everyone else will charge yearly.

    How about aim.com? They have free IMAP servers, not too sure of reliablity though...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions