Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Quote Originally Posted by OnDemand

Your On Demand Directories (411) tiral is about to expire so go ahead and subscribe now.

Get unlimited access to On Demand Directories (411) for $2.99 per month.

Select the "Purchase" button now!
    • Directories (411) $2.99/month
    • Dictionary $1.99/month
    • TV Guide $2.99/month
    • Maps & Directions $2.99/month

Ouch! I don't think so! Especially when On Demand can suck up over 1.5 MB of memory.

How to delete On Demand (and free up over 5 MB of memory ): use ZLauncher or similar 3rd party app launcher and/or FileZ or similar to delete the following files (I had to remove 20 separate files!): everything starting with "OD" (OD*) and everything starting with "On Demand" (On Demand*) -- note: weather, news, and sports should remain free...so you might want to keep it for those...your call. Personally, I've got better uses for that 5+ MB.

So, let's compile a list of freeware and shareware (reasonable price without a monthly subscription) utilities to replace the On Demand greedware -- i.e., if you dont feel like shelling out $12/month for these features, here are some alternatives. I'm not looking for a laundry list of everyone's favorite apps, just the best of the breed alternatives to On Demand.

Official Off Demand List

If you've got a favorite freeware or shareware app that fits one of these categories, please post to this thread and include: name, category, price, where to get it, and status for 700p.
    Last edited by 4spammers; 06/26/2006 at 07:00 PM.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I think News, Weather, and Sports will remain free (they are free on Handmark Express). However here are otherways to get news.

My Treo (built in app) has a news tab.

Avantgo now supports RSS and is free. This is a great way to read news on the treo.

I am also trying QuickNews (not free) which is also a realy nice RSS reader that supports podcasts and allows you to store info on the card.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    www.udigtv.com

Works well in wide page mode on blazer as a tv guide replacement
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Bookmark mobile.wunderground.com for free weather in PDA format. Looks good in Blazer.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Well, that will free up a bunch of memory when it expires and I delete it
    Some free if-you-don't-mind-java alternatives, just in case , see signature.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Don't forget Mapquest.com/pda for maps and directions. I was wondering when that shoe was gonna drop. I think there are alternatives for all of those services, although I must admit that they are awfully convenient with the On Demand app. Yep it's a memory hog, too. I also had a lot of trouble with it early on, but it seems to have stabilized for some reason.
    Genius ( $10 shareware from http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/genius-more.php ) is a useful utility that replaces the PalmOS Find function. It works a little like bookmark keywords or quick searches in FireFox - it comes with plugins for some of these categories (google local, google directions, answers.com, wunderground, wikipedia, etc.) and has downloads for many more plugins. You can select text in any program and activate Genius, or you can just type in a new search within it, and it sends Blazer straight to the results page.

Note - I don't have any kind of vested interest; just heard about it from my brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by redadz
    Genius is a useful utility that replaces the PalmOS Find function... with plugins for some of these categories... (google local, google directions, answers.com, wunderground, wikipedia, etc...].
    I wanted to like Genius but I noticed that all the searches go through their website first, then get redirected, which adds to the amount of time it takes to pull up the information but also irks my privacy strings.

I went as far as creating a redirector program on my server web server, then I hacked the Genius executable to access that instead But I ended up deciding against keeping it after the trial.
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    the new agendus (v11) will offer 411 services
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    I wanted to like Genius but I noticed that all the searches go through their website first, then get redirected, which adds to the amount of time it takes to pull up the information but also irks my privacy strings.
    g-funkster, I'm not sure that I understand this comment. All Genius does is provide a UI to capture some data that it crams into a URL and passes the URL to the browser. So, instead of going to the USPS web site, typing in the package tracking number, mashing the "track" button, then getting the results, Genius just submits the appropriate URL string including the tracking number that you entered in the Genius UI to USPS web site (not some intermediary server), and immediately displays the results.

It does not pass the data through any intermediate web site, it just forms the query URL and passes it directly to the browser.

This is the Genius Plugin that I made to look up airplane N-numbers (tail numbers):

<Category>Information</Category>
    <Name>AircraftID</Name>
    <Priority>20</Priority>
    <Find1>Tail No?</Find1>
    <Url>http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=<REPLACE1></Url>

As you can see, it just takes the string that I typed in as a response to "Tail No?" and puts it into the URL where <REPLACE1> is.

It's a lot faster than loading up at least 2 web pages in the browser (one to specify the search and one to view the results). Really all that Genius is is a smart bookmark utility that allows you to specisy up to 2 "variables" to pass into the bookmark URL.
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalazs
    g-funkster, I'm not sure that I understand this comment. All Genius does is provide a UI to capture some data that it crams into a URL and passes the URL to the browser.
    OMG, super my bad! I was incorrectly thinking about Widefind (it's what occurred to me when I read 'replaces the PalmOS Find function'). My apologies.
    I'm tired of them trying to nickel and dime us every little feature.... I'm already paying $130+/month, and they want another 2.99 to lookup an address... f-em.....
    damn, I had no idea this was trial software, thought it was included with the Treo and my data plan, ouch!

o well, thanks for links to the alternatives!
    1 | 2
    Have you guys seen the insane about of memory it eats up too? I deleted at least 30 files last night and cleared up at least 5-10 megs of ram. Doesn't seem like the most efficient use of space especially for that type of basic information readily available elsewhere.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    And now it's deleted...and it gave me 7% more memory.

I just hope it doesn't "come back" again after hotsyncing...

No offense, but who would pay for this stuff (On Demand)?

I wasn't sure I was keeping it even when I thought it came included with my plan. I think I would rather have the extra memory even if all of the features remained free.

Go figure...
    Blazer w/ EVDO connection w/ mobile browser formatted news sites would be free.

Anyway, anyone have a list of the exact files I can delete to get rid of OnDemand from RAM?
  18.    #19  
    The list of files and size can vary depending on which On Demand services you've used.

Basically, it's all files starting with "OD" or "On Demand" ... sort alphabetically in a file manager and it's easy to select and delete in bulk.
    Motorola Startac &rarr; Samsung SCH-8500 &rarr; SonyEricsson T608 &rarr; Treo 650 &rarr; Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I used ZLauncher's file manager program and sorted alphabetically by "creator." It was then easy to see the OnDemand content and application(s).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast