Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    I would have thought someone would have found this bug in Sprint's network.

    If you force EVDO mode on the 700P, you will not receive incoming SMS messages (you can still send).

    This causes big problems with apps that use SMS, like Messaging, Verichat and Causerie, to name a few.

    If you allow the Treo to be in automatic mode (both 1xRTT and EVDO) SMS works fine both ways.

    This is a major oversight by Sprint...maybe this first 700P "bug" that is really a much bigger issue.
    .
  2. #2  
    or incoming phone calls either!
  3. #3  
    Is that true? No incoming calls?
  4. #4  
    Yes, really.
    I read it elsewhere in this forum & then just tried it for myself to be sure.
    Straight to vmail.

    The DO in EVDO stands for data only.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bonron
    Is that true? No incoming calls?

    Yes this is true you will not get incoming call or sms if you force evdo.

    You can try it buy forcing your phone into EVDO and then send yourself an SMS. You will not get it.

    If you force your phone to do EVDO only and then shut the phone of and turn the phone back on you will nottice you will have no reception (there will be no bars next to the reception tower).

    give it a try and you will see.
  6. #6  
    I am guessing that you are joking about "DO" standing for Data Only in EVDO.
    <s></s>
  7. #7  
    EVolution Data Optimized
  8. #8  
    How exactly do you 'force' EVDO? I thought it was only available if there was EVDO coverage in the area.
  9.    #9  
    From the dial pad "##EVDO will get you to the screen to force evdo.

    I highly recommend against it.

    It'sp probably causing all sorts of problems with tech support with folks that do that.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    I would have thought someone would have found this bug in Sprint's network.
    ...
    This is a major oversight by Sprint...maybe this first 700P "bug" that is really a much bigger issue.
    .
    It's not considered a bug if it isn't a feature Sprint supports or promotes. The ## codes are not found in any manual and most Sprint employees don't know about them. Sprint doesn't use EVDO for the voice portion yet, and EV-DO can be Data Optimized OR Data Only depending on where you read it, with the next generation EVDO Revision A (or EV-DV which will not be released by Sprint if I remember correct, DV = Data Voice) allowing voice and data.

    Why would you force EVDO mode? You have to understand that the treo has two radios, EVDO radio which is STRICTLY for data and the 1xrtt radio which is used for voice and data backup if you are not in an EVDO area.

    People are always complaining about bugs, broken things, a bad network when they are using functions that aren't released or supported yet.
  11. #11  
    Why would you need to "force" EVDO anyway?

    Using the automatic mode, I'm getting calls, high speed and SMS.

    I'm missing something...
  12. #12  
    This seems to be an issue on Verizon as well. Apparently if you force 1X it doesn't happen.

    Sam
  13.    #13  
    How can this not be a bug?

    Forcing EVDO is valid in certain coverage areas.

    Sprint SMS is broken, period.

    It sould work on EVDO both ways, not one way.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    How can this not be a bug?

    Forcing EVDO is valid in certain coverage areas.

    Sprint SMS is broken, period.

    It sould work on EVDO both ways, not one way.
    How is forcing EVDO valid in certain coverage areas?
    What Sprint offers to its users for data is EVDO in areas where there is EVDO coverage, and 1xrtt for areas where there isn't.

    By forcing EVDO, you are telling the phone not to use the 1xrtt radio, therefore turning off incoming calls, text messages and voicemail notifications.

    Sprint SMS is not broken. Sprint never said you can force EVDO, how to do it or that it is a current feature. Just because you have discovered a way to do it doesn't mean it's supposed to work that way.

    It's simple. Turn off the 1xrtt radio by forcing EVDO and you can't receive anything that comes in on 1xrtt. What's not to understand?
  15. #15  
    That makes sense. Forcing EVDO is the same as turning off the 1xRTT radio. I know that the same thing is true on the 6700.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    How is forcing EVDO valid in certain coverage areas?
    What Sprint offers to its users for data is EVDO in areas where there is EVDO coverage, and 1xrtt for areas where there isn't.

    By forcing EVDO, you are telling the phone not to use the 1xrtt radio, therefore turning off incoming calls, text messages and voicemail notifications.

    Sprint SMS is not broken. Sprint never said you can force EVDO, how to do it or that it is a current feature. Just because you have discovered a way to do it doesn't mean it's supposed to work that way.

    It's simple. Turn off the 1xrtt radio by forcing EVDO and you can't receive anything that comes in on 1xrtt. What's not to understand?
    "By forcing EVDO, you are telling the phone not to use the 1xrtt radio, therefore turning off incoming calls, text messages and voicemail notifications"
    Yep...that's the problem...it should not work that way, as it's presented as the next gen high speed network for phones. The fact that it turns it into a one-way device is really lame.

    You're right, it's not SMS that's broken - it's Sprint's EVDO implementation, which is much bigger.
  17. #17  
    I thought that EVDO rev.0 (which is the only one currently available) didn't have the capacity for data and voice? That won't be an option unitl EVDO rev.A is released because it has the capacity for VOIP provided by the carriers.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    "By forcing EVDO, you are telling the phone not to use the 1xrtt radio, therefore turning off incoming calls, text messages and voicemail notifications"
    Yep...that's the problem...it should not work that way, as it's presented as the next gen high speed network for phones. The fact that it turns it into a one-way device is really lame.

    You're right, it's not SMS that's broken - it's Sprint's EVDO implementation, which is much bigger.
    Maybe you can help me understand, and I'm not being sarcastic here. Why would you need to force EVDO? Maybe that will help me figure out your point of view?
    My understanding is if you are in an EVDO area, it will always use EVDO. What positive effect does forcing it have for you that you would want to force it?


    I was going to say the implementation isn't broken, this is the capability of EVDO for Sprint and Verizon and anyone else who implements EVDO - Sprint was going to start with Revision A (data and calls simultaneously on EVDO) but had to come to market with EVDO since Verizon had already released it.
  19. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #19  
    Sprint's implementation is not broken. It isn't lame. It is a limit of the technology. EvDO is DATA ONLY. Calls are not data, SMS are not data. They both use the current 1xRTT line. The fact is, if you force the 1xRTT radio off you cant get calls whether you are using data or not, you have baiscally disabled the phone and SMS portion of the phone. There is no reason that I can see to force EvDO, except maybe if you are in a patchy service area and when EvDO work it is faster or some crap, even then it doesn't make a lot of sense because the browser can switch between the two on the fly.
  20. #20  
    Sounds like there's no reason to have the "force" option available. If there's a benefit, I can't see it and if it wasn't there, this thread/issue would not exist.

    To that extent (an unecessary and confusing option to force EVDO) Sprint's implementation may be lame.

    Just don't use the option.

    Again... I could be missing something...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions