Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    The developer of myTunesRSS just came out with version 2.0, which actually gives you links to individual mp3's, or M3U's. Basically it's a server that sits on your machine and synchs with your iTunes library and then serves a web interface that lets you access playlists, individual songs, etc.

The only thing is, I can't quite get it to work! I mean, I can get the server working and access it on my Treo 700P via Blazer, when I click on the link to the M3U, I get a window that goes over the lower half of Blazers with a play/pause button, a previous track and a next track button. There's also a button that says Open Pocket Tunes. When I hit the play button, nothing happenns, although Blazer's status bar says "Redrawing" and the title bar for this other window says "Reconnecting." Clicking on OK just brings me back to the web page in Blazer, and clicking on Open Pocket Tunes brings me to Pocket Tunes where a similar "Reconnecting" message is displayed, but that's it.

This program looks like a great option for those of us with very large libraries (or really anything much over 4GB, the current max SD card size) who want to have access to all that content wherever we are. I'm sure someone here can figure out why it's not connecting properly?

Here's the link to the software: http://www.codewave.de/products/mytunesrss/
    Last edited by dvdmon; 06/07/2006 at 10:11 PM.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    So you have to have iTunes? And you need Pocket Tunes Deluxe to do what you're wanting to do. (though I'm not fully up on if the 700p Blazer imbedded player should work or not)
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    So you have to have iTunes? And you need Pocket Tunes Deluxe to do what you're wanting to do. (though I'm not fully up on if the 700p Blazer imbedded player should work or not)
    I Have PTunes Deluxe. And yes, you have to have iTunes.

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Just a thought. Have you tried getting the m3u link to work from another computer? If you can, and the m3u won't play on that computer either, then one thing you can try is rightclick on the link to the m3u and save it as a text file. Then open up the text file and analyze the url. Another thing to try is to manually load the url into ptunes, and bypass blazer altogether.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I've tried the M3U link on a PC as I mentioned, and it works fine. Unfortunately Blazer doesn't let you copy a link's url, so I had to do that on the PC, then sent it over to my Treo and opened it directly in PTunes. This got me a little farther - after displaying "Reconnecting..." it very quickly displayed something else very quickly (too quick to read it), and then displayed "Buffering..." But then nothing happens after that. So it could be the initial problem is that Blazer can't handle certain characters? Or could the URL be too long? Here is the url I copied:

Code:
    http://72.196.216.51:8080/mytunesrss/createM3U/authHash=A9594212F20E8A977893BBE00ECF11590CC8E386/track=5E559332DFD1BACA/Elliott_Smith_-_Pictures_of_Me.m3u
    But even so, it seems Ptunes is not able to get at the file even directly. One possibility is that this server requires a password, so I wonder if PTunes is choking on this??

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'm not convinced that its an issue with Blazer or ptunes. Another question. Is the file you're trying to stream in mp3 format?

[edit] also, have you tried the same scenario on other streams (not associated with your home system) In blazer, try this one: http://207.111.193.3:9000
    Last edited by Micael; 06/08/2006 at 12:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Yep, it's MP3. I don't use any other file format. I also just tried that url both in blazer and directly in Ptunes and it worked immediately and flawlessly in both...

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    then it sounds like, since it works from for a PC connect, myTunesRSS is taking issues with Blazer/Ptunes. If that combo works flawlessly on other stream servers, myTunesRSS is about all thats left to suspect.
    I just installed mytunesRSS a few minutes ago and then found this thread trying to get it to work with my 650. Looking in the mytunes forums, it looks like they need some Treo development help badly. I hope this discussion can find its way over there, since it does look like the way they deliver the URL is the issue here.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ocell, have you actually tried using it with your Treo 650? I just wanted to be sure the problem wasn't limited to the 700P...

Yes, I have. It comes up as buffering, and then never plays anything.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocell
    I hope this discussion can find its way over there, since it does look like the way they deliver the URL is the issue here.
    Ocell, I don't know if it will help, but you can post the url of this thread over in their discussion group, if you want.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, guys, I think you may like this - at least 700P owners. I got an email from Normsoft (makers of pTunes) and they are trying to troubleshoot the issue, but suggested that I try pTunes 3.1.3 (I'm using the latest, 3.1.5), which doesn't have a change they made to playlists. I did this, went to blazer, went to my server, clicked on an M3U link, and instead of bringing up pTunes, it brought up Kinoma... and Kinoma played the song! Well, that's a good sign, I thought, so I tried to get pTunes reassociated but for whatever reason couldn't. So then I was able to copy and paste the url of the link into pTunes directly and when I did this, the same thing happened - just got to "Buffering..." and that was it.

So, it seems that the issue may have to do with how Blazer hands off the url to pTunes or just pTunes not being able to handle the url properly.

On a side note, I also just discoverred another very promising method of transferring stuff from iTunes - a program called mOcean which syncs your iTunes playlists with your Treo and has an interface that looks very similar to an iPod's. I'm about to install it and try it out, but maybe some combo between mOcean and myRSSTunes with pTunes (or Kinoma before pTunes gets it figured out) will allow me to ditch my iPod for most of what I use it for...

dvdmon...I'm seeing the exact same issue using pTunes Deluxe 3.1.5. It is my opinion that pTunes Deluxe 3.1.5 does not support streaming media as it says it does. Try typing the URL in your PC browser, then try to type it into your Blazer browser:

http://winmedcdn.cbsig.net/infinity_WZGC-FM

When opened on my PC, Windows Media Player opens up and plays it correctly.
    When opened in Blazer, Kinoma opens up and plays it correctly.
    When I open pTunes and open an Internet Audio stream, type in the URL, it goes to "Reconnecting...", then "Buffering..." then it hangs forever.

Now I'd be fine with Kinoma playing it as it does a great job, but you can't play media in "background" mode and so the screen is always on and the battery drain is significant. If I could get it to play in pTunes, all would be well.

Has anyone else out there gotten myTunesRSS streams (or any other streaming audio source for that matter) to play in pTunes, and if so, please post a URL that does work...
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I went back and forth with Normsoft about this for quite a while. They finally were able to repeat the issue on their own and couldn't figure out why it was happening so the last I heard they were sending it to there programmers to look at. This was a couple weeks ago and haven't heard anything since...

thanks for the info...keep me posted if you hear anything back.