Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After one week of PERFECTION! The defication hit the rotary oscillator today!
    FIRST--Outbound SMS stopped working...Sprint (and Treo Central thread) declared it a national outage, yet my brother, wife and other friends (all on Sprint) had no problems sending SMS messages.
    NEXT-- Launcher X totally fried on me. I was running 1.2.2 and it was working great, then suddenly I started experiencing the home button restsets the Treo problem. Tried upgrading to 1.2.9 and the entire phone froze up. I had to do a warm reset and remove Launcher X.
    THEN--Started having the old 650-style phone just resets while you're looking at it...probably around 4 times within 2 hours. ##377 said either unknown app fatal error, and one time it said chattermail caused the reset.
    AND IF THAT'S NOT ENOUGH---I realized that I haven't heard the phone ring in hours...straight to voicemail. I tried calling myself...straight to voicemail.

VERY FRUSTRATED!

Does anyone have any ideas why it would suddenly go so wrong?
    welcome to the wonderful world of treos!!! PALM SUCKS! I have had a multitude of problems with all Treos starting witrh 300. One would assume that the problems would get less & less as new models are released but this is not the case. Just new bugs. I am convinced Palm is not concerned with bringing quality, cutting edge deivices to consumers. They want to bring the same sh!t they did from years back & not improve. I already have had random bluetooth problems, my signal strenght is out of whack, had to to 3 hard resets already because of unexplained problems. The camera is more MP but worse that the 650 as far as the lighting. Not even new ringtones. Evern with all the small updates with the different models, they at least gave us new ringtones. They are all eactly the same on the 700!!! The list goes on.
    The first one I got from Palm was a lemon. The second one I got from Sprint retnetions has been running perfectly, without any problems (minus an unfriendly 3rd party app I installed). I think it's a QA issue with units leaving the factory.

So my advice: return the lemon while you still can, and get another 700p. Can't be any worse than doing nothing.
    You guys making me nervous.....I always attributed my trouble free experience with soem other carrier having conducted the "beta program" and allt he quirks being worke dout before the GSM release....now with "the thing that is no longer called Hollywood", with GSM 1st out the gate, I am gonna have to hold off to stay off the bleeding edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    The first one I got from Palm was a lemon. The second one I got from Sprint retnetions has been running perfectly, without any problems (minus an unfriendly 3rd party app I installed). I think it's a QA issue with units leaving the factory.

So my advice: return the lemon while you still can, and get another 700p. Can't be any worse than doing nothing.

how did u return it - who did u call ?

I got it from Palm and I don't know where to return mine

I'm having strange problems with mine 700p. I had to call sprint CSR today and my treo disconnected me 3 times and after each disconnect froze and I had to restart it - I want to get it replaced but I don't know if I should take it to sprint store or call palm (if u have phone number plz provide).

Thanx
    If you bought it from Palm you return it to Palm.
    it would be nice to see a thread with treo problems that DON'T have any 3rd party applications installed. i bought a lifedrive when they first came out....had nothing but problems...until i took some of the 3rd party stuff off...then it was flawless.

i have not had any issues with my treo...YET...but i am pretty sure i will once i try to install something 3rd party.

Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    welcome to the wonderful world of treos!!! PALM SUCKS! I have had a multitude of problems with all Treos starting witrh 300. One would assume that the problems would get less & less as new models are released but this is not the case. Just new bugs. I am convinced Palm is not concerned with bringing quality, cutting edge deivices to consumers. They want to bring the same sh!t they did from years back & not improve. I already have had random bluetooth problems, my signal strenght is out of whack, had to to 3 hard resets already because of unexplained problems. The camera is more MP but worse that the 650 as far as the lighting. Not even new ringtones. Evern with all the small updates with the different models, they at least gave us new ringtones. They are all eactly the same on the 700!!! The list goes on.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt
    it would be nice to see a thread with treo problems that DON'T have any 3rd party applications installed. i bought a lifedrive when they first came out....had nothing but problems...until i took some of the 3rd party stuff off...then it was flawless.

i have not had any issues with my treo...YET...but i am pretty sure i will once i try to install something 3rd party.
    Why would they make a handheld with 120MB (Treo) or in the case of the Lifedrive 4GB and expect people NOT to put on 3rd party applications??? Just pictures and mp3's? I don't get your reply, and if I was one of the many dedicated software developers out there (yes I believe that there are some) I would be offended.

Now the funny part is while I'm typing this I just heard my 700P reset in the other room!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbeat
    NEXT-- Launcher X totally fried on me. I was running 1.2.2 and it was working great, then suddenly I started experiencing the home button restsets the Treo problem. Tried upgrading to 1.2.9 and the entire phone froze up. I had to do a warm reset and remove Launcher X.
    The LX problem is minimized with 1.2.9 but I did find an internal problem with LX and I am developing a fix for it as we speak. It will be ready for the official launch next week. All releases of LX currently available are Early Access for Treo's and will have a few "bumps" in the road until next week. Just stick in there with LX problems for a few days longer.

Jeff
    Why would they make a handheld with 120MB (Treo) or in the case of the Lifedrive 4GB and expect people NOT to put on 3rd party applications??? Just pictures and mp3's? I don't get your reply, and if I was one of the many dedicated software developers out there (yes I believe that there are some) I would be offended.
    The point is that you can't blame Palm 100% when the problems occur with 3rd party applications. Palm doesn't control how well the apps are written or how well they get along with each other. Of course they do control the API, but not the programs themselves.
    So then Palm should not allow you to install any software at all!!!! MAKE IT LIKE A BLACKBERRY THEN!! Come on that is one of the most asenine things I have heard all day. They claim it can do all these things & then say there are thousands of Palm software titles you can download to the Treo but then some of you people turn around & say it is our falt partly because of the software we download??? Yes it is Palm's fault 100% Am I missing something here?
    So two nights ago, my 700 died. After a HotSync, the screen would flash a blank white screen and the keypad would light up and then they'd go dark. It would keep doing this. It couldn't have been anything I did because even a hard reset would not recover my Treo. I had only been using it for two days! To make matters worse I was in the middle of an out-of-town business trip.

I was dreading my trip to the Sprint service center because I knew the phone was so brand new that a lot of stores don't have them. Or they were selling out as fast they were receiving them. Thank goodness the store I went to hadn't put out the only 700p they had as a demo yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pin0y_bear
    So two nights ago, my 700 died. After a HotSync, the screen would flash a blank white screen and the keypad would light up and then they'd go dark. It would keep doing this. It couldn't have been anything I did because even a hard reset would not recover my Treo. I had only been using it for two days! To make matters worse I was in the middle of an out-of-town business trip.

I was dreading my trip to the Sprint service center because I knew the phone was so brand new that a lot of stores don't have them. Or they were selling out as fast they were receiving them. Thank goodness the store I went to hadn't put out the only 700p they had as a demo yet.
    I'm not sure they're selling all that fast - the VZW store I went to last week had a bunch, the Q was the hot item there (people were paying full retail to get one); I was glad because it meant I got the p and can ditch my w.
    The two Sprint stores I went to before the one that replaced my phone were sold out. One of them sold the three they had in one day. Three doesn't seem like a lot but it shows they didn't ramp up their distribution before they made it available. I know a lot of people who have been waiting for the 700p and want to get them from a store vs. online from Palm like I did.
    Oh but I like the pain cause I keep coming back for more 300>600>650>700p
    i had to replace mines because of a busted earpiece speaker( the only problem i had with my treo) and i had called about 10 sprint stores in my area and they where all sold out except 1, i even went to one of the sprint stores and the tech was like "wow i never even touched one before" how funny the damn tech never touched one.and i was expecting this guy to service my phone
    So then Palm should not allow you to install any software at all!!!! MAKE IT LIKE A BLACKBERRY THEN!! Come on that is one of the most asenine things I have heard all day. They claim it can do all these things & then say there are thousands of Palm software titles you can download to the Treo but then some of you people turn around & say it is our falt partly because of the software we download??? Yes it is Palm's fault 100% Am I missing something here?
    To some degree, I agree with you.

With that said, the developers each have a different skill set so how can Palm have an OS that can account for thousands of developers with different skills, writing different applications that use the OS in a different way.

We can set the bar for POS pretty high and expect it to work with all apps but frankly I think there are probably just a few less diligent software designers out there who may have good ideas for apps but less than stellar code.

I think we can blame Palm for the small incremental changes they make for which they charge a full price.
    So to replace my treo I should go to my local sprint pcs ?
    I did buy my from palm.com will sprin honor that ?
    aslo do I have to wait until technician tries to fix it or should I say I want my treo to be replaced since is less then 2 weeks old ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas718
    So to replace my treo I should go to my local sprint pcs ?
    I did buy my from palm.com will sprin honor that ?
    aslo do I have to wait until technician tries to fix it or should I say I want my treo to be replaced since is less then 2 weeks old ?
    I bought mine from palm too. I was biting my lip when the Sprint tech support told me I should go through Palm to get my 700 replaced. If you go to Palm's website, all the links and phone numbers point back to Sprint.

Bring your phone to Sprint since it's so brand new even at the minimum there should be a 30 day warranty from them. It also has the Sprint logo on it. I think the $6/month for the replacement coverage is also worth it considering the thing is $650 before their discounts...

If they can't fix it, they should replace it. If they don't have any, ask them to find one for you at other stores. Ask for the manager if the rep doesn't want to be helpful. Then recommend they get in touch with the district manager to find you a new phone. They shouldn't release the phone if they're not prepared to service it or have enough in stock for replacements.
    I have had 8 replacements for my 650 and 1 for my 700p, this is what i found out to be the case when going to a sprint tech,99% of them dont know how to troubleshoot these PDA's let alone fix them or take them apart. So what they do they just give the approval to get a replaced , new one if you are withing the 14 days from when you bought it, or a refurbished if you have insurance and you had the phone for a while. But the problem is they will not replace the phone unless the clueless tech takes a look at it, but its ok because he will just tell you , he don't know whats wrong with it and replace it with a new one and they will send your old one back to Palm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast