Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I haven't seen any one say this yet ... but the phone seems to charge from the USB cable alone, something the 650 didn't do. The red light comes on and the battery indicator has a zig zag through it to indicate it's charging. Not sure if it's a drip (slow) charge. It works with both the 650 and 700 USB cables, meaning the phone is different, not the cable.

Bill
    I just noticed this too. I even get the traditional plugged-in beeo. Are you actually getting a charge, or is the Treo screwing up and just listing it as a charge?
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    This was one of the first things mentioned on Day0 of the 700p release, I dunno where the thread is, but everyone's really happy about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I just noticed this too. I even get the traditional plugged-in beeo. Are you actually getting a charge, or is the Treo screwing up and just listing it as a charge?
    It's definitely charging. Mine went from about 70 back up to 100 while I was adding apps last night.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Quote Originally Posted by bhodgins
    I haven't seen any one say this yet ... but the phone seems to charge from the USB cable alone, something the 650 didn't do. The red light comes on and the battery indicator has a zig zag through it to indicate it's charging. Not sure if it's a drip (slow) charge. It works with both the 650 and 700 USB cables, meaning the phone is different, not the cable.

Bill
    My 650 did, at least I always *thought* it did; if you look at the hotsync cable, you'll see that there's a power plug on the right. Worked on my PowerBook all the time... I think... now I'm not sure anymore...
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I was/am under the impression teh 700p is charging from teh USB cable. The E2 and the TX I have/had "trickle" charge through the USB cable and they have the same (Athena) connector as the 700p.
    OK -- Reviving an older thread to see if others have experienced Very SLOW charge via USB? I've seen these references to 'trickle charging' via USB, but my Treo 600 always seemed to charge as rapidly via USB as it did from the wall charger.

I've been traveling since getting the 700p and I have not used my wall charger at all. But charging by USB from 15-20% (full days use without charge) to 100% seems to take about 5-7 hours (with radio on, connected to PowerVision for Chatter push, minimal phone use, and no Bluetooth enabled). Anyone else seeing this?

Also, when the 700p runs down to 0 batter and shuts down, I seem to need a soft reset or battery disconnect to boot it back up--even after it's been connected by USB for a while. The 600 just came back to life once it was plugged in and charging for as little as a few seconds. Is this normal?

Can I get a different USB cable that charges faster? Obviously, I plan to get the Seidio Extended battery to help with battery duration issues in general and especially when using Chatter, but I'd like to get a full charge in a couple of hours at worst. Also, does anyone know if it is bad for the battery to constantly "trickle" charge?
    Yes, on the 700p charging via USB is much slower than charging via wall socket. But I'm just happy it charges via USB at all! It will be especially great if I decide to go with Sprint's PAM plan and use the phone to connect my laptop to the internet. I travel a lot so this will be great for all my airport time.
    It does charge from a USB, but it must be a powered USB port.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

mine does not charge using the hotsync cable that came with the 700. I don't see the red charge light go on. am I doing something wrong? I have a powered usb port.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm
    mine does not charge using the hotsync cable that came with the 700. I don't see the red charge light go on. am I doing something wrong? I have a powered usb port.
    By reading from several threads it looks like it does charge if you have a Verizon Treo 700p. It doesn't if it's Sprint.

Mine is a Verizon and it does charge with the USB cable. (It didn't for my Treo 650, also Verizon).
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    duh. I read right over the Verizon reference. I have Sprint.
    Thank you
    I have Sprint and my 700p trickle charges via the USB cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc
    By reading from several threads it looks like it does charge if you have a Verizon Treo 700p. It doesn't if it's Sprint.
    You misread something, or got bad info.
    The Sprint 700P DOES charge through a powered USB port. Mine is doing so as I'm typing this.
    A Palm employee answered this in another thread, which I can not find right now.
    I'll post a link when I do.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc

Mine is a Verizon and it does charge with the USB cable. (It didn't for my Treo 650, also Verizon).
    My Sprint 700p is charging just fine in a cradle plugged into a powered USB hub, without the charger cable plugged in.
    Apple iPhone, Apple Bluetooth
    I have Sprint and my 700p also appears to be charging via the USB cable.
    - Rich
    Treo 300
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    for what it's worth, when the 650 came out, I bought an extra hotsync cable on ebay. It would charge my 650 while connected to usb...the standard usb cable from the 650 box would not...so could it be a difference in the cable? Anyone with a 700 try to plug the new hotsync cable into their 650.

By the way, is the cable the same cable pin config? Can I still use the same ebay cable on the new 700p?

Sean
    Last edited by seanfl; 06/13/2006 at 03:07 PM.
    When it is trickle charging do you see the Red light on your 700 and the lightning bolt on the battery or are you just looking at the percentage going up after you have it attached to the USB .Just curious as mine does not show any sign of charging.
    ^Sprint 700P here. The red LED charge light comes on and the battery icon with lightning bolt is also there.

However, there were times when my charging indicators didn't show when I plug in the hotsync cable. hotsync wouldn't work either. I just unplug and replug for it to work.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfl
    for what it's worth, when the 650 came out, I bought an extra hotsync cable on ebay. It would charge my 650 while connected to usb...the standard usb cable from the 650 box would not...so could it be a difference in the cable? Anyone with a 700 try to plug the new hotsync cable into their 650.

By the way, is the cable the same cable pin config? Can I still use the same ebay cable on the new 700p?

Sean
    I never took the 700P's synch cable out of the box. I'm still using the 650's cable, and it's charging up just fine.

-Jack Handy, SNL-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast