Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to contact Palm for problems like that? I'm fairly sure it's a software problem with the camera, because I did have one attempt using the camera where the image was almost as good in low light as the image from my 650.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Its true it may be 1.3 mega pixels but its worthless unless you are in alot of light. hopefully they will update this.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, that's why I want to figure out how to contact over there... the more people complain about the camera, the more likely it is that we'll get it fixed in a reasonable period of time.
    The real problem is you've got a near $700 smartphone and the camera app is there like it's an afterthought. No controls, no settings, no flash, no image quality control, no white balance or anything. I mean a $200 Sanyo phone has better camera software on it than this phone does. If there was a decent camera utility in there you could increase the quality of your pics by 100% for a phone.
    ^^ my thoughts exactly, i would choke a dolphin for some whitebalance... my old Sanyo DID have better software :P
    By all means, find someone at Palm's email address and let's harrass him/her. Let our voices be heard!
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    this is absolute crap. what in the hell did palm do for 18 months??? What do these guys get paid for. they didn't fix any bugs in the 650 nor did they put much thought into the 700 either. I want that job!
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    what in the hell did palm do for 18 months???
    It can't be easy to make sure the green light only blinks when there is a message.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    What I'd like to know is why a third-party developer hasn't come out with an alternate camera app with more advanced controls. Could it be that hard to access the camera functions?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

exactly. we need to start a bounty for someone to hack the camera app so we can adjust the iris at least. I'll throw in $20!
    I agree pics are crap in medium to low light...but with some light this thing can take pretty decent pics!

I also noticed 1.3 megapixel pics are crap...period. So I take em at 640x480.

Also, with a little photoshop the pics can turn out pretty good, just put em through a sharpen filter. I resized the pics I took at 1.3 and sharpened them and they actually turn out pretty decent. Yea it's extra work but the end result makes it worth it.

EDIT:

Here's an example.

This was taken in LOW light (cloudy day) at 1.3 megapixels - I resized it and sharpened it...and it ain't too bad.

http://www.mixtapetorrent.com/files/champncaine.jpg
    1 | 2
    Another example:

This was taken at 640x480 in good light, & sharpened in photoshop

http://www.mixtapetorrent.com/files/champ.jpg

So my take on things is that yea for the price we're paying we should get a better camera...but overall I DO think it's an upgrade from the 650.
    1 | 2
  13.    #13  
    See, I consider it a downgrade because I can't usually use the 700p's camera inside anymore. With the light sensitivity of this camera, they should have built an LED flash into the Treo, because it's useless indoors otherwise. The 650 was surprisingly good at taking pictures in relatively low light situations.
    Exactly. it IS a downgrade. Most photos I took were indoors. This camera is utterly useless now. Even indoors with plenty of overhead light it is still too dark. I truely cannot beleive this!! How do we let more light into the lens? Through an app?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    The camera is useless anyway. I want a cameraless version.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    honestly,
    i believe i know why the imaging is poorer on the 700p with the bigger sensor...
    it's because...
    they are using the same size sensor but instead of having a certain number of receptors that pick up light and translate the data into a picture...they've overstuffed it with 1.3 million pixel receptors...
    kinda like stuffing sardines in a can...
    if you put 3-10 in a can you'll have nice fluffy undamaged sardines when you open up the can, versus stuffing 30 sardines in the same can...where you're going to get compressed flattened and damaged sardines...(gross analogy but i hope you get the point)...
    same principles in camera pixels...

and usually when you cram that many pixels into a small sensor, it translates to really poor low light photos and more noise issues....
    hope this helps...
    ~there is no spoon~
    thankx mush but can this be hacked via software??
    unfortunately not really unless you do some major R&D to develop
    and that wouldn't be cost effective for palm...

bear in mind however...
    650 photos will be great on screen poor in print

700p photos will be good to ok on screen, better if you use aftermarket software to enhance...and good in print
    ~there is no spoon~
    I wonder if the CameraTest for the 600/650 would work on the 700p and change the settings we need? If anyone tries this, please fully read the discussion thread as it can hose your camera.

D/L Link - http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-111.html?Cameratest
    Discussion on this App - http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=cameratest
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    I wonder if the CameraTest for the 600/650 would work on the 700p and change the settings we need? If anyone tries this, please fully read the discussion thread as it can hose your camera.

D/L Link - http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-111.html?Cameratest
    Discussion on this App - http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=cameratest
    i think this won't work only because i heard that the 700 camera does not have any functions that you can really tweak or play with...
    ~there is no spoon~
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast