Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Is there a way to use the palm contact information (ringtone and picture) with Goodlink?

Goodlink takes over doesn't seem to use this information.
    It would be nice to have the picture callerid and different ringtone for specific callers.

thanks.
    With Goodlink installed on the 700p, I can no longer use custom ringtones. The ringtones are now set up in the Palm contact application instead of the Favorites page. Since Goodlink overlays that application with their own, they no longer work.

Goodguy?!!
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Since GoodLink doesn't use the Palm native datastores, there isn't a way to use the ringtones or pictures.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Since GoodLink doesn't use the Palm native datastores, there isn't a way to use the ringtones or pictures.
    Does Good have any plans to allow us to choose what GoodLink takes over?
    It would be nice if I could have GoodLink take over email only and use the Palm apps for everything else.

Also, Outlook has a picture field so GL should be able to use that.

I know there is another thread about this, but that seemed to be more from a 700w view and turned into a GL bashing thread by a few posters and I'm not bashing Good at all. I've been using this for a few years and I think it's the best thing to happen to Palm.. Now people who want push mail have a better option than BlackBerry :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Sounds like a deal breaker...guess my 700p's are going back home to Kansas Back to Good on my 650
    Simpsonized
    It is my understanding we may be looking at using the native datastores, but there has been nothing definitive.
    Will that be for all Treo's or just the Palm based ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse
    Will that be for all Treo's or just the Palm based ones?
    Do not know.
    between this & not being able to lookup a contact in SMS, i think I'm done with good.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree-Oh
    between this & not being able to lookup a contact in SMS, i think I'm done with good.
    Unfortunately, I may do the same.. I have constant reboots with Good and then did a hard reset. I'm trying Chatter which has pretty good Push and I get to keep the rest of the features of the Treo.. contact pictures, custom ringtones, etc.

I may try reinstalling Good, but for now, I'm not missing much by not having it.
    i may try deleting the contacts portion of goodlink. the process is in the good FAQ. actually, that would solve a couple of my issues. i'll try that.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    does that allow the use of the specific picture and ringtone from the Palm database?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Yes surge, if you delete the GoodContacts "stub" program, it will free your palm contacts app from the clutches of Good. The internal database is still there and untouched.

note that you'll have to keep it up to date separately - GoodLink won't sync it for you. However, with the new version of VersaMail that comes with the 700p, you can sync Calendar and Contacts (as well as mail) against an Exchange server with ActiveSync, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I do this so I can have the internal Palm stuff go to my home Exchange and Good go to the office... I'll be upset if they start using internal DBs for Good!
    where do I get active sync?
    i think i may have the best of both worlds! i did this:

http://www.chaddickerson.com/blog/20...-with-goodlink

and now i have the native palm contacts DB "AND" I can still get to the Good contacts app to lookup ppl in corporate directory. (the way the good FAQ read, i thought i would lose that function)

it's working so far, but more testing to be done.
    Woo Hoo! Works for me!
    Simpsonized
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

and now i have the native palm contacts DB "AND" I can still get to the Good contacts app to lookup ppl in corporate directory. (the way the good FAQ read, i thought i would lose that function)

Works here!! I'm now back to using Good.
    Hopefully Good won't crash my phone anymore since I did a full reinstall.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

That's exactly what I described above, but in a slightly more easy to understand form.

You can do the same with the Calendar if you want... And you don't need FileZ to do it either... The palm launcher's "delete" function can remove the Good apps, you just need to know a little bit about how Palm apps work ("ROM "vs. RAM/flash apps that is). If you put a file into the flash filesystem of current palms, and name it identical to something that's in "ROM," the device will use the file in flash instead of the one in "ROM." The datebook/etc are stored in "ROM," while Good installs to internal flash/"ram". Now, in the filesystem the file is called "whatever.prc." But internal to the Palm there's a database, and THAT is where the filename needs to match. So you can call it "foobarbaz.prc" but have it internally represent "Contacts". When you do this, you "overwrite" the built-in Contact app and make it inaccessible to the user.

This is what Good does.

Also, the .prc files they throw in there are NOT full applications, which is why deleting them doesn't hurt functionality. They are "stubs" - think of it like a shortcut/alias. They simply fire up the main Goodlink program, but start it pointed at a given location (mail/contacts/whatever). So if you want an original palm app back, and don't mind having to hit "good launcher" then navigate to the Good version to get at it, you can delete the appropriate stub and then you have access to both again.

It would be cool if Good had an option to keep both, so you could assign "Good Contacts" to a hard key but still retain access to your normal contact DB in the device. This would be easy enough - they'd just need to write different stubs that had a different set of names on them.

They probably don't do this because there are too many morons in the world who wouldn't be able to understand that their phone has two different contact lists, and that while one lives in Exchange (and is thus safe across resets), the other lives on the palm and has to be sync'ed to remain safe...

But for power users like myself, it would be handy. Even if they released the PRC files as unofficial hacks or something. Hell, if I knew more about prcs I could probably do it, it can't be much more than changing one or two strings in each file... hint-hint

oh yeah, you can save those prc files too. copy them to a SD card (or just use Good's backup facility) and you can put them back later if you want. In fact, I've found that you sometimes have to put them back if you want an OTA pushed upgrade to work properly. This may have been changed with newer versions; the last time I had issues with it was around 4.0 or 4.5.
    So from reading this, the link points to the 650 "how to" that basically shows you how to use your palm internal contacts db INSTEAD of the GL contacts, right?

Is it possible to use both? I'd like it to look and see if they are in either one and then display my caller id and contact info. Or even better is look to the palm one and if it's in there stop looking.

Wasn't the ability to assign a custom ringtone if you had it as a favorite available on the 650?

Thanks

Josh
    Palm moved the custom ringtone from the Favorites page to the Contacts page on the TREO 700p. GL overlays the Contact db with its own. Both Palm and GL contacts are still on the phone. You are simply removing the GL stub so the Treo uses the palm contact information (which contains the ringtone information).

You cannot search both. It's either one and if you want ringtones then it has to be the palm contacts.
    Simpsonized