Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, I've had my Treo 700p since the 23rd of May and and really not impressed enough to Justify the price and upgrade from the 650. Palm did impress me with the 600 -> 650 but as of right now (no updates) I'm not thrilled with the 700p. I'm not going to list all the pros/cons since they've been posted 6 billion times here (I counted). Just wanted to say that, until Palm releases a few fixes/updates/firmware/whatever... I'm sticking with my 650.

It's just sad to see my GF who is a new 650 owner being more productive and quicker than I am (avid palm user) on my New 700p. I have maybe 3 apps installed right now and still get VERY RANDOM resets. This is BS... so off to Kentucky my 700 goes!

I am the kind of guy who has everything new before most of thte others, but I seriously don't have time for the 700p right now. And I hate windows with a passion so LOL @ 700w. I'm just gonna go buy a nice bottle of wine when I get refunded.

/end rant
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    You're not the first and certainly won't be the last. At least Palm has a great return policy.
    Sadly, I'm with you. Got my 700 on Friday. Saturday evening I ESN swapped back to the 650. Verichat not working, PTunes skipping and my Chatter e-mail alerts being flakey were too much of a loss of core functionality for me. It didn't really seem slower to me, however--about the same, despite the complaints of many others. I still have the 700, pending any resolution to the above issues before next week, when I will otherwise regretfully return it.

Like you, I am also one of those guys who always wants the latest and greatest. While the 700 may be the latest, so far unsold on the greatest part.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoskater
    Well, I've had my Treo 700p since the 23rd of May and and really not impressed enough to Justify the price and upgrade from the 650. Palm did impress me with the 600 -> 650 but as of right now (no updates) I'm not thrilled with the 700p. I'm not going to list all the pros/cons since they've been posted 6 billion times here (I counted). Just wanted to say that, until Palm releases a few fixes/updates/firmware/whatever... I'm sticking with my 650.

It's just sad to see my GF who is a new 650 owner being more productive and quicker than I am (avid palm user) on my New 700p. I have maybe 3 apps installed right now and still get VERY RANDOM resets. This is BS... so off to Kentucky my 700 goes!

I am the kind of guy who has everything new before most of thte others, but I seriously don't have time for the 700p right now. And I hate windows with a passion so LOL @ 700w. I'm just gonna go buy a nice bottle of wine when I get refunded.

/end rant
    Why don't you give the software developers a couple of weeks to update their products for the 700p. It's not Palm's fault that certain apps don't work.

I'm about 99% sure that you are getting resets because you installed software that's not compatible with the 700p.
    Thinking about it too. So far testing is not looking good. Glad I only bought 2.
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    no way I could go back to the 650.....it's slow speed drove me nuts. already love the streaming capbility too much.
    Firmwares will straighten much other stuff out.
    Too bad the firmware updates are months away. I'll try the 700p again in a few months after Palm gets around to fixing how incredibly slow it is.
    I have issues with my sprint 700p but I also had issues with my 650, so I am going to keep the 700. Afterall, all I ended up paying for it is $24 (by the time I sold the 375 for my old 650+150 credit from sprint+100 discount from palm)
    Treoing & Loving it
    I commend you for doing this. Hopefully it will send a message to Palm since they clearly don't care about their Palm OS customers anymore. 18 months for some very minor changes (in terms of the R&D required). I expect that I'll be keeping my 700p because I do really like the added speed that Ev-DO provides (when I have a good signal), and I'm hoping that I can get AmEx to reimburse me for my 650 thanks to its defective headset jack and my AmEx's extended warranty coverage.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  10.    #10  
    I know the 700p has it's advantages over it's preceder and I like the new features. I just can't sit around and wait... I need my faster, more stable 650 to live/work with.

Btw, the only 3 applications I have installed on my 700p right now are Chattermail, Volumecare, and a Texas Hold Em game! I keep getting popups about not having enough free storage... except for the fact I have 51MB free. Now I'm also getting SMS failure. Oh yeah and my battery life is 20% of what I get on my 650. I know I can hard reset the phone, but even without my necessary applications (verichat, working email) the phone still needs fixing!

I know it may not be Palms fault that certain apps aren't fully supported yet, but you'd think in the wide world of business that Palm would do things a little differently. ESPECIALLY after the "early release" of the 650 and all the problems that caused. I don't mind waiting for some updates and buying the phone for cheaper later on.
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    It seems that when Palm releases a new device these days, the first several months are always a pseudo beta testing period for early adopters! Eventually, Palm will release updates for the 700p, but I agree it would be nice if palm would release devices with most the bugs already cleaned out...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    i guess i'm one of the lucky ones then, only one reset in the last 9 days, this thing is rock solid and i have 40+ apps installed on it,i'll be keeping mine. i'll be patient and wait for developers to catch up. pockettunes works great(i use it everyday) and the same goes for snappermail, and since i paided $200 for the 700p, that makes it even better.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Unless I can get my EVDO plan for free like the web plan on my 650 (free data/email/sms unlimted) I'm returning it and going back to the 650. I ahd been told it would carry over. But not when I went to activate the phone!
    I am keeping my 700. It has been rock solid and WAY better than the 650 was back at the beginning. No 10 second delays dialing from favorites (man that was PAINFUL on the 650 when it came out). You have to accept a certain level of bs at the beginning of any launch. If you are not prepared to deal with it, or find it unacceptable, send it back. I am very happy with EVDO browsing and streaming. My 700 is more stable than my 650 ever was even with all of the updates that the 650 had. I have had 2 spontaneous resets in a week. pTunes skipping is annoying but not a deal breaker for me. Kinoma plugin in Blazer has been rock solid for streaming. I love this thing and there is no way I am going back to painfully slow web browsing on the 650.
    Yeah, I'll live with the minor bugs since I know they'll eventually improve them with firmware updates. There is no going back to the 650. That's not going to happen.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    No going back for me either; it took me a few days, but now this thing is working pretty damn well and I am happy with it. All told I got it for $200, and I'll probably sell my 650 for the same amount. My Sprint monthly is much better now too.

The extra memory is very nice. The EVDO speeds are appreciated. And after all the time and energy I put into getting it "jussst right," I'm not about to undo all of that.
    This thread is extremely refreshing. I've been an early adopter of most technologies that I own including the past several generations of the Treo. For the first time though, I don't feel like I HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW. The extra speed as was pointed out above would definitely be welcome but quite frankly the added cost (both hardware and service) and the technological challenges have me thinking I'd rather apply the money towards a new UMPC (did I say I was an early adopter?). At least I can have that thing connect to my 650 for no additional cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoskater

/end rant
    I was only a little "Tempted"
    But I will stay with the 700P, I just want EVDO in West Texas but it will not happen before the end of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mansouan
    This thread is extremely refreshing. I've been an early adopter of most technologies that I own including the past several generations of the Treo. For the first time though, I don't feel like I HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW. The extra speed as was pointed out above would definitely be welcome but quite frankly the added cost (both hardware and service) and the technological challenges have me thinking I'd rather apply the money towards a new UMPC (did I say I was an early adopter?). At least I can have that thing connect to my 650 for no additional cost.
    I appreciate the pros and the cons - especially the lack of rancor in this thread. Too often, people want to be affirmed in the decision that they've made and flame folks who disagree. I've got the luxury of another month before my Verizon contract yields a big discount, so keep the opinions coming.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
  20.    #20  
    Yeah, I don't mind hearing others' opinions. Everyones situation is different (batch of phones, computers, software, usage, etc. etc.) so not everyones gonna be having all the exact same problems. Anyways, I kind of felt like an ***** for paying full price for this thing so thats also part of the reason I'm returning it (otherwise I'd get a replacement). So maybe in a few weeks, or months, or however long I miss the 700p - I will order another one for a lot cheaper and hopefully with less bugs and more software support

I understand that with such a powerful device (not to mention a NEW one), you're bound to have problems. Thats why I've decided to wait.

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast