Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Any gotcha's going back to the 650? Frustrated minds want to know....
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Going back was easy. I had previously renamed my old backup folder for the 650 because I did a clean install on the 700. Just renamed the 700 backup and made the old 650 folder backup again and synched using the newer desktop. It works fine, took a minute.
    Yup, I just went back & agree, no problems (no need to uninstall PC software, just backup / rename the 700p folder.

I loved the 700p for the most part. I was happy with the usability polish added and with the EVDO (mostly the getting calls while connected rather than losing them to -> voicemail).

However, I found that I couldn't live with the handsfree connection dropping in the car (Prius). I didn't have any way to force it to reconnect while driving and this is one of my few "must have" things. Verizon has a 15 day return policy and this was day 15 for me.

I'll happily repurchase the 700p again when the bluetooth / prius connection doesn't get dropped - I suspect it's related to some of the other glitches, we'll see. Awaiting a patch ...
    I went back to the 650 today, jsut can not figure out how to get my SMS database back onto the 650 from the 700p :-/
    I went back to the 650 also. I'll give Palm a few months to fix the battery problems, speed problems, BT problems and camera problems. It will also take a while for the third-party app developers to fix their compatibility problems.
    I doubt the battery is an actual "problem", the new radio with EVDO is going to use more battery by nature, but everything else, agreed and then some.
    I must live a charmed life. The 700p is more machine than the 650 ever could be. I couldn't imagine going back to, what?, 23 MB of storage? The camera is garbage -- though I used it a lot, trying to work around it's limitations. And I'm downloading files onto my 700p that I could never do on my dial-up. Of course, that's probably why I'm so satisified: the machine exceeds my expectations, which are actually quite simple. Versamail works fine for me. I turn off my phone regularly, so most programs I use are not affected by it. As is, the 700p is a better product for me. With some fixes from the folks at Palm, I imagine it will only get better. The 650 is old technology now. It's not going to get stronger.
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Palm V > Vx > Clie Peg T615C > T3 > Clie TH55 > T3 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p & T3
    Strange - you must not do much surfing.

The speedup should sell the phone in and of itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoskater
    I know the 700p has it's advantages over it's preceder and I like the new features. I just can't sit around and wait... I need my faster, more stable 650 to live/work with.

Btw, the only 3 applications I have installed on my 700p right now are Chattermail, Volumecare, and a Texas Hold Em game! I keep getting popups about not having enough free storage... except for the fact I have 51MB free. Now I'm also getting SMS failure. Oh yeah and my battery life is 20% of what I get on my 650. I know I can hard reset the phone, but even without my necessary applications (verichat, working email) the phone still needs fixing!

I know it may not be Palms fault that certain apps aren't fully supported yet, but you'd think in the wide world of business that Palm would do things a little differently. ESPECIALLY after the "early release" of the 650 and all the problems that caused. I don't mind waiting for some updates and buying the phone for cheaper later on.

you have a bum unit - just get a replacement - I know because thats what I had and I got a new one with great performance. Cheers
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    you have a bum unit - just get a replacement - I know because thats what I had and I got a new one with great performance. Cheers
    Great performance but still slower than a 650? What are you benchmarks?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brvheart
    I doubt the battery is an actual "problem", the new radio with EVDO is going to use more battery by nature, but everything else, agreed and then some.
    Then the capacity of the included battery should have been increased to accommodate.

I bought the extended Seidio battery and am tweaking my prefs and apps to get the most life out of my Treo 700p. Dimming my backlight a bit, changing the way Chatter checks for mail, installing KB Lights Off...

Still, I'd like the battery to be much better on this device. Under no circumstances should it be dead by 5 PM. I have to charge 'er up every single night or it's unusable the next day. Compare that to other phones that can go a few days...
    I actually bought the 650 just a few weeks ago, but the extra memory and EVDO were tempting enough that I bought a 700p as well. I am keeping the 700p. I found the 650 to be much more unstable. Mine reset and locked up on a daily basis. The 700p has noticeable lag switching between apps, but otherwise, has been better than the 650 in every way.

If you are finding the 700p unstable, wait for software developers to update their apps. Unfortunately, some of these apps are pushing the boundaries of the dated Palm OS.
    The 650 should never reset if you configure the software correctly.
  14.    #34  
    My 700p resets and locks up every single day... it got worse and wrose and I couldn't take it. My 650 is very stable with the updated firmware and supported software. More power to the ppl who are getting good usage (or at least are happy or dont notice the problems) with the 700p.
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    I am awfully tempted to go back to my trusty 650. The bluetooth problems alone outweigh any minor advantages the 700p has over the 650. Plus a reset with almost every incoming SMS.

I'll probably ESN swap back to my 650 but keep my 700p in hopes that these problems are eventually resolved (if not I will sell it).
    Funny--Over the weekend I had persuaded myself to get the 700p to replace my 14-month old 650....This afternoon, I even called Palm about it, but when the time came I just said "naah..."

I'd love to have the faster internet, but I can't justify $300 or so for the Palm right now. It's a luxury, not a must-have or productivity item for me. So I switched back, even before I switched!
    I appreciate this thread, since my renewal date with Verizon is coming up next week. I would really like faster internet speed and not having calls going to VM while on the 'net. But, the reality is that it's not like I use this all day - probably a total of a half hour a day. Otherwise, my 650 works really well (maybe a reset every couple of weeks), so I'm leaning toward keeping it.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Then the capacity of the included battery should have been increased to accommodate.

I bought the extended Seidio battery and am tweaking my prefs and apps to get the most life out of my Treo 700p. Dimming my backlight a bit, changing the way Chatter checks for mail, installing KB Lights Off...

Still, I'd like the battery to be much better on this device. Under no circumstances should it be dead by 5 PM. I have to charge 'er up every single night or it's unusable the next day. Compare that to other phones that can go a few days...
    I actually tried a 3rd 700p and get a rocket, it is awsome this time around. I too got the 2400 mAH extended battery and seems to make the phone as the 650 stock battery was. I agree that the battery life is not par for this device, but for all that it can do I am willing to use the Seidio battery and move past it and be happy for what I have now . I did not tweak anything except for the auto off, dim etc and dimmed the screen slightly, other than that I left everything the way that it was.
    I am going from a 600 so it is a no-brainer for me. Most of the problems I had have been worked out by either software upgrades or work-arounds. The biggest differnce for me besides the internet speed is the increased memory. I have about 100 applications many with conduits that need to be in main memory and plenty of data, and was always struggling to keep 2-3 MB free. Now I keep everything except games in main memory and I always have over 30 MB free. I am confident that Palm will eventually address any major issues (speed vs. 650?) with an update. I now I have a relatively stable device which I absolutely love.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Quote Originally Posted by brvheart
    I actually tried a 3rd 700p and get a rocket, it is awsome this time around. I too got the 2400 mAH extended battery and seems to make the phone as the 650 stock battery was. I agree that the battery life is not par for this device, but for all that it can do I am willing to use the Seidio battery and move past it and be happy for what I have now . I did not tweak anything except for the auto off, dim etc and dimmed the screen slightly, other than that I left everything the way that it was.
    Did you ever run those benchmarks? Still interested to see what a fast 700p scores and if there's a way to identify them from the slow ones.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast