1.    #1  
    I haven't any luck with using the tethered hack; I haven't connected a single time using bluetooth, and using a USB cable, my connection works, but fails after a few seconds.

So I thought perhaps I'd try out the Sprint PAM plan; the guy told me that I had to have an ISP to use it. Is that true?? For $40/month you still have to have an ISP, and then it's dial-up?? That's awful!

Can anyone tell me if that's true?

Also, if it's NOT true, what's the speed using PAM? I need something reliable, and so far, I've had no luck using the tethered-mode hack. I know lots of others have, but I haven't... sigh...
    What have you done so far in trying to tether?

here's what I did.

1. Download PRC
    2. Downloaded Resco Explorer from link in forum
    3. using Resco, copied PRC file to ROM.
    4. Reset
    5. Downloaded drivers from http://www.sprint.com/downloads, selected windows xp, chose "Sprint PCS Connection Manager for Phone as Modem/USB Cables", ran, did custom install, chose ONLY treo drivers.
    6. Modem was already installed on COM9 for me at this point, but if not, I would reboot and manually install the modem drivers on the same port that the treo uses in your system device list.
    7. Closed out hotsync app.
    8. Created DUN profile on my computer with #777 as the number.
    9. Disabled the WIFI card and connected to internet with phone. Worked great.

now I just need to set it up on the laptop
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackboxsocial
    What have you done so far in trying to tether?

here's what I did.

1. Download PRC
    2. Downloaded Resco Explorer from link in forum
    3. using Resco, copied PRC file to ROM.
    4. Reset
    5. Downloaded drivers from http://www.sprint.com/downloads, selected windows xp, chose "Sprint PCS Connection Manager for Phone as Modem/USB Cables", ran, did custom install, chose ONLY treo drivers.
    6. Modem was already installed on COM9 for me at this point, but if not, I would reboot and manually install the modem drivers on the same port that the treo uses in your system device list.
    7. Closed out hotsync app.
    8. Created DUN profile on my computer with #777 as the number.
    9. Disabled the WIFI card and connected to internet with phone. Worked great.

now I just need to set it up on the laptop
    I tried everything; I've installed the tethered hack, which didn't really seem to make any difference.

I'm on a Mac, so a lot of the stuff you did is not necessary here; I can switch between network connections very easily, so it's simple to turn off my wireless connection and try to connect w/ the Treo as modem.

However, it just isn't very reliable; sometimes it works, sometimes not, and never at a consistent speed. I don't know if perhaps it's the EV-DO service here in Nashville, which might explain why some users seem to be having great success while others aren't. At any rate, it's barely useable in its present state.
    I doubt an ISP's necessary, considering that's what the PAM option is essentially doing. The only instance of needing an ISP is potentially providing email service (both incoming and outgoing). Otherwise, standalone PAM should provide was an ISP does anyway.
    I haven't tried PAM with my Treo yet, but use an a900 all day long with PAM. You don't need a separate ISP.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pizenson
    I haven't tried PAM with my Treo yet, but use an a900 all day long with PAM. You don't need a separate ISP.
    Thanks for the response. In your opinion, would it be any more reliable than trying to use the hack, or is it the same?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    if u have lousy power vision service in your area to begin with, i dont know how getting PAM will all of a sudden get you better power vision service.
    Haha...sprint reps are idiots. Don't they even know that they ARE the ISP? Duh...
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755