1.    #1  
    Hello,

I've been thinking about upgrading to a 700p through Sprint. I currently have a Treo 600 through Cingular.

I have tried to keep up with all these threads, but I have some questions the answers to which seem non-obvious to me. If you could help, I'd be greatly appreciative.

(1) Listening to music through a bluetooth phone headset -- I realize that the headsets are primarily intended for use with the phone. However, there has been software that allows me to listen to music through my wired phone-only headset on my 600. Is there anything like this with the bluetooth headsets? Or is it unfeasible because, for instance, perhaps the headset won't even listen to the Treo without a phone connection?

(2) Data speeds. On my 600 through Cingular, data creeps along both in my browser and through Avantgo. At best, it appears I'm talking at 19.6. If I'm desperate, I'm able to read email and what-not on it, but it's definitely not a pleasurable browsing experience. If there are images, forget about it -- just set the phone down, come back a few minutes later, and MAYBE the page has finished loading.

But I see references here to 650s talking at significantly higher speeds. I was under the impression that 600s and 650s had the same data limitations. Is this not the case? Or are Sprint 650s somehow special? Or are all 650s special, and I could get greatly improved data speeds if I convince Cingular retentions to give me a GSM 650 at a low price?

(3) As with all GSM phones, my 600 tends to cause highly unpleasant interference in speakers (including its own headset) everywhere I go. My understanding is that CDMA does not do this. What about EVDO? Do you notice issues with speakers while your phone is sending data via EVDO?

I appreciate any insights, comments, or suggestions you might have.

Thanks!
    Ratjer
    CDMA 600's and 650's have 1xRTT internet, which is faster than GPRS (you have GPRS). GSM 650's have EDGE, which is a step up from GPRS.... I think it's about 50-100 kilobits per second but I'm not positive. So any 650 or CDMA 600 should be a step up for data access for you.
    I am a very happy former Cingular customer who went to Sprint for the 600 CDMA 1 1/2 years ago and recently upgraded to the 700p. I'm also very familiar with the 650 as several others in my company have it (I was the early Treo adopter and held out for the 700). In general, I am thrilled with the 700p as an upgrade from the 600. Vs. the 650, I would say it is a tougher call though I would still upgrade for $200 - $300 to get the faster data / browsing.

On your questions:

1) no experience yet with BT
    2) 700p is markedly faster than the 600 was - I would say 3 - 5 times faster in my perceptions for use. I wouldn't say my feeling was that the 600 I had seemed as slow as you describe.
    3) I have had no such interference issues and EVDO seems to make no difference in that regard.

I would highly recommend the 700p and Sprint. I believe the coverage as a phone is much better than with GSM and the plan costs with data access are much more reasonable.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I just upgraded from a 600 myself. I have been a Verizon user all along. That being said, to answer your questions:

(1) Listening to music through a bluetooth phone headset -- This feature is NOT SUPPORTED BY 700p OUT OF THE BOX. Verizon's BT phones are very crippled, they only support Headset/handsfree modes and you can Hotsync using BT, but that's about it. If you pay $15 a month, you can dowload software that let's you sue your phone as a modem through BT. I remeber seeing software available in the Treonauts store that claimed to support BT stereo headsets, but then again is an add-on feature and as of now there are apps that run on the 700p without a problem but others are not working at all, is a bit of a gamble.

(2) Data speeds. With the 700p I have been getting 300kbps somewhat constantly regardless of my location. I live near Portland, OR and have not tried other locales yet. In the coming weeks I'll be traveling to Southern California and I'll try to see if I get faster speeds. But still, 300kbps kills your GPRS/EDGE connection anytime, and even Verizon's old 1xRTT...

(3) No interference problems whatsoever. I have used my phone very close to my Home stereo, laptop computer, etc and the speakers are not affected by my phone at all...

Hope this info helps.

waldo15 out
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR
    CDMA 600's and 650's have 1xRTT internet, which is faster than GPRS (you have GPRS). GSM 650's have EDGE, which is a step up from GPRS.... I think it's about 50-100 kilobits per second but I'm not positive. So any 650 or CDMA 600 should be a step up for data access for you.
    Thank you for the edification! I had no idea that I was stuck with such a slow device -- I'd have gotten the Sprint 600 to start with if I'd known about the speed difference between 1xRTT and GPRS!

Ratjer
  6.    #6  
    I'm very glad to hear that there are no interference problems with the EVDO.

I appear to be in a tiny minority of people who would like to listen to audio files through the same single speaker that I talk with on my telephone. I deplore the idea of carrying more items than necessary, which is part of why the convergence displayed in smartphones is so appealing. It seems a shame to ruin that by having to carry a phone headset and a music headset.

Has anyone noticed any issues with ports being blocked in Sprint's EVDO? Mail ports, for instance, or SSH ports, or whatever ports are required for remote desktop settings? Although I've never gotten around to using SSH on my 600 after two years, it is a feature that I desire. I seem to remember Sprint had some ports blocked way back when the 600 came out, but is that still the case?

Thanks again!
    Ratjer
  7. jjd
    Quote Originally Posted by ratjer
    Has anyone noticed any issues with ports being blocked in Sprint's EVDO? Mail ports, for instance, or SSH ports, or whatever ports are required for remote desktop settings? Although I've never gotten around to using SSH on my 600 after two years, it is a feature that I desire. I seem to remember Sprint had some ports blocked way back when the 600 came out, but is that still the case?
    I have used pssh on my Treo 700p for outgoing ssh connections. I haven't tried making incoming ssh connections. (Presumably you'd have to use the treo in PAM mode for this -- I don't know of any ssh servers that run on the Treo!)

I have been able to make outgoing SMTP connections as well as outgoing POP3 connections. Again -- haven't tried coming back in.

--Jim--
  8.    #8  
    Outgoing was my concern here with the ssh. Thanks for assuring me, JJD!

Ratjer

Quote Originally Posted by jjd
    I have used pssh on my Treo 700p for outgoing ssh connections. I haven't tried making incoming ssh connections. (Presumably you'd have to use the treo in PAM mode for this -- I don't know of any ssh servers that run on the Treo!)

I have been able to make outgoing SMTP connections as well as outgoing POP3 connections. Again -- haven't tried coming back in.

--Jim--