Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Hi there!

I have noticed that if I use my 700p as a phone for long periods of time (~2hrs) the unit gets hot, and I mean hot. So hot in fact that the LCD goes black! I can verify the screen is working because I can see the icons and everything else but it's all very dim. LCDs experience black spots when they get too hot and that's what is going on right now. With my Treo 600 I experienced the heat but not to this extreme, and the Screen would never go black as a result of the heat.

I was wondering if this is because I have a faulty unit that gets too darn hot. Anybody has experienced this also?

waldo15 out
    Sounds like yours is bad. I've noticed very slow performance and worse battery life than the 650, but no overheating like you're describing. Are you in a low-signal area where your phone has to fight to keep a connection?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    After long sessions of talking or streaming my treo heats up as well. But this has happened with all my Treo's and other CDMA phones. I haven't gotten the screen problems you mention.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I've had this happen a couple of times, but I also had it happen on my 650. It only happens to me when I use it at night when I have the screen very dim, so when the screen dims (to cool down?) it goes black. If I turn up the brightness a little I can see everything fine. A few minutes later everything will get bright again and I can set my brightness back to where I had it.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    all 8 of my 650's did that i think it does that automatically shut the screen off not to damage it, but i think its normal when the temps go down it goes back to normal mines useally goes back to normal within 5 mins after i hang up. but you have to be on the phone for a while for it to do that
    I got this on my 650 and now my 700 everytime I stream shoutcast and the LCD is on. Screen will also dim to the point where I can barely see the screen. But the 700 seems to get a lot warmer.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    My 650's screen goesblack when I leave it in direct sun, say if I am out at the island or something. But once, it cools down it is fine. Also, I think all cells do this, my friends does, and it is not a treo.
    I had this same problem with treo 650 & now 700 too!! what is the deal here? What a POS!It is not supposed to do this at all
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    I had this same problem with treo 650 & now 700 too!! what is the deal here? What a POS!It is not supposed to do this at all
    It is a fact of LCD.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo

did you return it?
    ~there is no spoon~
    This is NOT a fact of LCD - this thing gets hot! And refuses to charge (I have two batteries) - and LED will not light properly (even using Butler to reset) - this is not right.
    Charliec
    So exchange it!

And FWIW, a LiIon battery will not accept a charge if hot. It protection circuit will prevent it from accepting a cahrge until it cools down.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    Unfortunately, the thing acts like it cannot even see the chargers (I have three and have tried them all) - and when a fully charged battery is put in the Treo, it moves it to about 85% in 2-3 minutes and continues to drain and make the battery almost too hot to touch.

When the Treo is in the cradle with the battery in, the LED does not register charging, the battery in the right hand corner of LED shows it is charging, but all the while it is discharging quickly and heating up - even after hard reset.

Taking back to Sprint today.
    Last edited by charliec; 09/04/2006 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    Charliec
    I have found you are most prone to overheating issues when overclocking and using the phone for 1.5+ hours while in a case/holster of some type. I frequently take my Treo out of it's holster when I am on a long call, just for this reason.
    I experienced a similar issue to the one described here when I used PTunes Deluxe for an extended period of time, particularly when I was streaming music. I noticed early on though that the problem would happen with greater frequency if the Treo was in a case.
    i had someone come in with the same problem. Hot is not the word for the temperature of that battery when it was brought in. the screen blacked out too. I gave the person a new battery and havent heard back yet on whether or not it solved the issue.

*update* it resolved the over heating issue but the quote was "it still stinks for battery life compared to the 650"
    Last edited by labella320; 09/05/2006 at 01:58 PM.
    When the screen goes black, have you tried to increase the brightness using Option-P and pressing the 5-way toward the right? I have noticed sometimes (although I never thought of it as being a heat-issue) my screen will go dark, but it is just that the backlight brightness level seems to get confused. Raising the brightness bar using the method above will, after moving the brightness bar most of the way to the right, cause the light to come back on full again.

I do have my 700p (and 650) in Krusell Classic cases, which may add to the warmth of the unit. And I have noticed that when the units are on the charger, this darkness problem is more likely to occur.

Hope this helps.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I have this problem too and it is recreatable.

It happens when I do this:

Drop my phone in my seidio cradle so it's charging.

Start up ptunes and play music in the background.

Fire up TomTom and connect to my bluetooth gps.

It's sort of pushing the device to the maximum. Charging it, playing music, using bluetooth and running navigation.

The screen will go dim and it will appear to be not charging the battery. It will eventually come back on and start charging again, but it will flicker like this for the duration of the journey.

This doesn't happen at any other time and happens more during the day than at night although it has happened once or twice at night. It feels extremely hot when this happens. Maybe it's a failsafe.

My Treo operates perfectly for the most part other than that.
    Happened again last night. Was streaming the Steelers game via Orb & had it hooked up to the charger, after having made a phone call. Screen all the sudden went dim, but the KB lights were not affected. Pressed Option-P and hit right on the 5-way. After a few clicks, the backlight flickered up and stayed on a few mins, at the brightness level you would expect. But then it went dark again and I had to increase the brightness to get the light to come on again. So then, I took the 700p off the charger and out of the Krusell case. Within a few moments, viola! I could dim the screen to normal (about 1/3 of the way from the left) and view again.

This really seems to be some kind of failsafe, or possibly a symptom of the heat affecting the hardware. I didn't experience a flashing charge light during this bout, but I have seen it before. And come to think of it, it has happened during long (>30 min) phone calls with the 700p on the charger and using the BT headset, and the 700p in the Krusell classic case.

I guess I'll be taking it out of the case to charge it as a precaution from now on.

Has anyone contacted customer service about this "heat" problem? It would be interesting to hear what you have found out from them.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Just had this happen to my 700P after streaming some data for a long time....(before reading this thread) did a restart and it was fine. Phone was HOT....
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast