Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Which email application uses the least mount of resources on the Palm. Also, does IMAP require more overhead than POP3
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I would think the versamail email app, would use the least amount of resources since it is built into the ROM (on Sprint). I have heard that IMAP is more efficient then POP,however, I don't use IMAP as it is not as universal.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I went from POP3 to IMAP and will never switch back, with IMAP + Chattermail you get Push -ability just like a blackberry and Chatter saves all your emails to your SD card, so it doesnt take up much memory and if you have a 700p you shouldnt be worried about running out of memory in my 650 i had 4 megs of ram left with all my apps installed in my 700p i have now 44 megs left ,also with IMAP whatever you change on any email client , automatically changes on the server, whatever emails i send from my treo, it goes to my send folder on the server wich can be seen my my PC with Outlook, and also the Trash folder,Draft,Inbox, everything is synchronized automatically, so any changes you make anywhere can will be updated to the server, Example: Your reading pop3 email on your treo, you delete it from your treo, if you check your outlook the email shows as new on your inbox , so you have to delete from your pc too, if you read it with an IMAP account when its read on your Treo its shows as read everywhere else, and also if you delete,or reply, you get the point. I hope because im tired of typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcfogel
    Which email application uses the least mount of resources on the Palm. ...
    Web-based e-mail (e.g., FastMail.fm through Blazer).

E-mail apps to consider:
    • Chatteremail - true push (you see e-mail as soon as it arrives), hard on your battery, regular updating/improving code, lots of features
    • SnapperMail - stable, nice UI, well-done, easier on your battery 'cause it checks mail on a schedule or when you press a button, code not updated/enhanced as frequently
    • VersaMail - built-in on the 700p, previous version were crap, jury is still out on 700p version

Quote Originally Posted by marcfogel
    ...does IMAP require more overhead than POP3
    IMAP is server-based only copying messages to the client as needed, POP3 moves messages to the client. You can set up POP3 to leave copies on the server...but then you might as well use IMAP.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I tried to make Versamail work because it's built in, but the deal-breaker for me is that with imap sub-folders, it has a limit on name length of about 15 characters. So 'Inbox.todo' is fine, but 'Inbox.Airline travel' is too big for Versamail. (It's not entirely consistent: I have a couple of 15-character folders that it sees, and another that it doesn't, and I have no idea why.)

This wouldn't have been surprising back in the 1980s, but it's hard to imagine why any supposedly modern app would have such a restriction in 2006. (It's also annoying that Versamail can only download mail from one account at a time, but I handle that by forwarding everything into my Fastmail imap account.)

I wanted to like Versamail, but I'm back to Snappermail, which worked very well for me for the last couple of years on my T600, and is even better on the 700p because of the speed increase.
    gMail through Blazer uses the least amount of RAM.

I think Chatter with an IMAP accout is the way to go. You can set it up to Synch a certain period of messages (such as 2 weeks) so that you don't eat up a lot of memory.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    I went from POP3 to IMAP and will never switch back, with IMAP + Chattermail you get Push -ability just like a blackberry and Chatter saves all your emails to your SD card, so it doesnt take up much memory and if you have a 700p you shouldnt be worried about running out of memory in my 650 i had 4 megs of ram left with all my apps installed in my 700p i have now 44 megs left ,also with IMAP whatever you change on any email client , automatically changes on the server, whatever emails i send from my treo, it goes to my send folder on the server wich can be seen my my PC with Outlook, and also the Trash folder,Draft,Inbox, everything is synchronized automatically, so any changes you make anywhere can will be updated to the server, Example: Your reading pop3 email on your treo, you delete it from your treo, if you check your outlook the email shows as new on your inbox , so you have to delete from your pc too, if you read it with an IMAP account when its read on your Treo its shows as read everywhere else, and also if you delete,or reply, you get the point. I hope because im tired of typing.
    I like Chatter with the SMS trigger. How do you get the sms message initiated.

Third party app?
    i dont use sms trigger, no need to, i used to use it with versamail and treohelper, but with chattermail i dont see a need to use this
    Nicole Ritchie.

Oh, I thought you said thinnest cd.