Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I'm about to buy a 700P and I want all my data to transfer over. Is it as simple as just backing up the 600 on my computer as usual then plugging the 700P into the computer and hitting restore? Is there anything special I have to do? Thanks!
    I went through the process. Install the new 700p Palm Desktop over the 600's Palm Desktop. During installation it will ask you if you want to migrate just your contact, memo, calendar, todo, or also include all applications. i chose to just migrate core data and the palm 700p desktop installer kept the old apps in an "Old Apps" folder. If you do choose to install your old apps on the 700p, it will automatically move apps it knows to be incompatible into a seperate folder and not install them.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    About the only special thing you have to do is install the 700p software before you try to do a hot sync. The process was quick and smooth for me and, so far, the 700p does everything the 600 did, but better and quicker, and the display is a huge improvement.

About the only thing that didn't get copied over for me was my favorites buttons. Maybe there's a way to copy them over, but some were outdated anyway, and it wasn't that big a deal to to recreate them the way I want.

For those of us who (reluctantly) passed on the 650, the 600-to-700p upgrade produces a huge bang for the buck. (In my case, even more so because my never-repaired 2-1/2-year-old T600 lost its voice and started dropping every outgoing call while I was on a trip last week. Fortunately, my 700p was waiting for me in an unopened box when I got home. This has been a very happy upgrade experience.)
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    My 700P arrived 2 days ago but I've put in 30 hours at work in those 2 days and have not had a chance to convert from my 600 yet. (too pooped to pop)...

I was happy to find this thread. I will be doing the conversion tonight.

I am hoping that my licensed / registered apps will install without re-authorization as I have misplaced my codes.

Do you think that will be a problem???
    Regards - Randy

Factory Five Racing - Challenge Series - Car #7

Carriage House Custom Automotive
    Or there is the clean install route if the instructions in Post#2 fail to work:

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

It appears that Palm has built the clean install thought process to the 700P install routine -- but it doesn't appear they said why or be careful on what you restore.

You are best to do a fresh re-install of all 3rd party software on your new 700P -- old settings brought forward from a hotsync to the prior userid or a restore from a backup -- can give the new device fits.

Restore the PIM data -- then add new software one at a time via a fresh install -- run for a day or two with the new software before you add another. You can isolate problem software this way.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/15/2006 at 12:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Thanks Perry - as usual, you have been a big help!
    Regards - Randy

Factory Five Racing - Challenge Series - Car #7

Carriage House Custom Automotive
    "Clean Install" Clean Install" Clean Install"
    I went through this last weekend. Worked like a charm. No issues.
    Don't violate Perry's Golden Rule.
    It works.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    LOL

Hi Turbo!!