1.    #1  
    Any of you Palm developers interested in taking over maintenance of the Diddlebug project? There hasn't been much Diddlebug development for a while. But it is a project with a long and respected history. I exchanged some e-mail with the current maintainer. He doesn't even have a development environment on his computer any more, and I think would be willing to part with the responsibility.

With a few tweaks (notably vibrate support for alarms), Diddlebug would be the preferred graphic note program, in my opinion.

Dave
    Isn't this a bit sad? It's now almost 15 days, unless someone offered via PM or email...
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Agreed.... this is one of my MOST important apps. I'm frequently setting an alarm for X minutes from now to remember to do something or call someone, etc. I would gladly pay for getting the vibrate function to work. Jeff at gotreosoftware said he'd do this about a year ago, but I think has just been too caught up in other projects to get to it....
  4.    #4  
    It is sad to see a really nice project like this die. I haven't heard from any one about taking it over. I have no special status in this. I am not a developer. I just like this project, and wish Diddlebug was as useful for my Treo as it used to be for my other Palm devices.

If Jeff was willing before, maybe he could be enticed now.

Dave
    Definitely agree. There must be someone to keep this going. I am sure many would gladly pay (dearly) for an update.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thczv
    It is sad to see a really nice project like this die. I haven't heard from any one about taking it over. I have no special status in this. I am not a developer. I just like this project, and wish Diddlebug was as useful for my Treo as it used to be for my other Palm devices.

If Jeff was willing before, maybe he could be enticed now.

Dave
    Well, perhaps others who are interested could email him (info@gotreosoftware.com). He hasn't even been responding to my emails on this subject. Perhaps if he knew there were a market for it, he'd consider it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    Well, perhaps others who are interested could email him (info@gotreosoftware.com). He hasn't even been responding to my emails on this subject. Perhaps if he knew there were a market for it, he'd consider it.....
    FWIW: I just sent out an email to him.
    Hi all,

This is a freeware, right ?

Is it supposed to stay a freeware ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    Hi all,

This is a freeware, right ?

Is it supposed to stay a freeware ?
    It is freeware up until the present version, but I believe an update could easily be made into commercial software.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Shimon--

Diddlebug has been freeware, and open source, for years. The last update was in 2004. Here is the link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/diddlebug

I believe that the app is widely used, but has great potential to be devleoped into a commercial product. If you are thinking about taking it on, feel free to touch base and I'll be glad to share with you details of the current limitations and help with any beta (or alpha) testing. I've helped many developers with apps (including you!-- thanks for adding the alerts in 4cast!).
    First - I am not commiting to it yet - but want to check things.

How would one convert an open source project to a commercial one ?
    Do I change the name ?

I need to be sure of the legal point, but I am also worried about the (thousands ? more ?) current users flaming me down with "how dare you take something free and charge for it ?!?"

I must say - the more I think about it, the more this last point "scares" me off...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I think there's information on the sourceforge link above regarding the legalities-- you can certainly contact them if interested. As for the 2nd point, I hear ya, and that's a decision you'd have to obviously make. My thought is that Diddlebug could remain in as a free acces app. Your app would be "new," based on Diddlebug as a starting point, but with obvious enhanced value. So although people always complain, the fact is they'd have a choice: keep using Diddlebug, or use "4thoughts"- the new, much improved commercial app.....just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    First - I am not commiting to it yet - but want to check things.

How would one convert an open source project to a commercial one ?
    Do I change the name ?

I need to be sure of the legal point, but I am also worried about the (thousands ? more ?) current users flaming me down with "how dare you take something free and charge for it ?!?"

I must say - the more I think about it, the more this last point "scares" me off...
    I am not sure of the ramifications of taking GPL'd software commercial, but there *are* some according to an email I received from the creator of DiddleBug. The app is evidently intertwined with other projects, and I didn't understand exactly what restrictions this might place on future development. The nature of the GPL seems to place DiddleBug more in the *getting revenue from support* category although, I am not clear on these details either. More importantly though, at present, the author is not interested in personally developing DiddleBug further, but clearly expresses the willingness to help others further the development of the DiddleBug project. The commercial venture may not be feasable for him *at the present moment under the circumstances.* Part of the problem also seems to be that the availability of Treos in certain parts of Europe (in this case Austria) is limited, and the prospects are not looking all that well *at the moment* for Palm either, from his perspecive. When one considers that most Europeans have never even seen a Treo, it is understandable that Palm would clearly appear to be winding down to them (to many of us as well). I would suggest direct contact with the author (email on sourceforge) who was very straightforward with his current situation regarding DiddleBug. I am sure he will explain what is necessary to keep the project going and elaborate on the feasabilty of the commercial aspect to seriously interested developers.
    Last edited by copernicus; 07/06/2006 at 09:39 AM.
    Thanks !

I will try to contact him.
    Shimon Shnitzer