Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...but, is the Treo 700p really that big an improvement over the 650 that current 650 users should find some way to chuck there old units and jump on the bandwagon?

I mean, I get it for new, previously PDA phone deprived folk. It makes sense if you don't have one to get the latest and greatest. But 650-700p? Pretty much the same basic footprint, layout, same processor, same screen etc..

O.K., it has

-Slightly improved interface, but not remarkably so
    -better memory, but you can put stuff on a big card.
    -EV-DO, but I've played with the Power Vision network. It's not noticeably faster than the regular network. I hit the web and get the answers I need, or download my e-mail at about the same speed (I ran both phones side by side in the store).
    -Better camera. Well, actually, the lense quality is the same (which is really quite good), just the resolution is higher so you can print bigger photos. But, who prints off their phone (we all e-mail pics)? If I am going to print pics, I'll use my 4.1megapixel camera.

To me, the improvements are not worth the price of a new phone, especially when you can't get half the value out of the old one to help pay for it.

To be fair, I am biased. I don't care about anything beyond internet and e-mail that EV-DO has to offer (no TV, no radio, no can opener). I also have not had any of the problems some 650 users have had (poor reception, poor voice quality). Sure, the unit reboots every now and again when versamail or some other app acts up, but the 700p will too (mark my words).

Is it cool? Oh yeah! Would I buy it if I had the bucks and no PDA phone? Maybe, if I could afford it. But, if I already had a 650 (and I do)? Not without an amazing deal (Like I sell my phone for $300 and get a new one for $399). It's really not the monumental jump in quality and performance that the 600 to the 650 was.

Just my 650 cents.
    Better than $650 dollars. Nice summary.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    The funny thing is that when 650 first came out, many 600 owners thought the 650 was not that big an improvement over 600 either....
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Better than $650 dollars. Nice summary.
    Nice summary of things that have been said here about 30 million times by others.
    [QUOTE=pelikan3]...but, is the Treo 700p really that big an improvement over the 650 that current 650 users should find some way to chuck there old units and jump on the bandwagon?QUOTE]

Now than some of you have had a few days to play with your new 700p, BE REAL..., how much better is it than the 650? Beyond the EV-DO speeds, what justifies the over $500 price tag. Is this device really doing something that your 650 couldn't do? This is the question i have been fighting with for the past couple of weeks. If someone can HONESTLY say it's "so much better than the 650" that i must have one, and prove to me why i must dump my 650 for the 700p, I might consider it. But leaving out things like wi-fi makes it very difficult to shell out so much money for pratically the same device as the 650.
    [QUOTE=Predator-1]
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3
    ...but, is the Treo 700p really that big an improvement over the 650 that current 650 users should find some way to chuck there old units and jump on the bandwagon?QUOTE]

Now than some of you have had a few days to play with your new 700p, BE REAL..., how much better is it than the 650? Beyond the EV-DO speeds, what justifies the over $500 price tag. Is this device really doing something that your 650 couldn't do? This is the question i have been fighting with for the past couple of weeks. If someone can HONESTLY say it's "so much better than the 650" that i must have one, and prove to me why i must dump my 650 for the 700p, I might consider it. But leaving out things like wi-fi makes it very difficult to shell out so much money for pratically the same device as the 650.
    Its my first Treo. My wife got the 650 a few days before me. My internet is way faster and I have a lot more ram, but you're right, not that many differences. I would consider the evdo a big difference though.
    everyone uses their treos differently... just because you're not a heavy data or multimedia user it doesn't mean the next person isn't... while wma/wmv streaming might not mean much to a user like you it means alot to a user like me... If all I did was email & light browsing I wouldn't even consider getting rid of my 650...
    Last edited by R1_Rydah; 06/07/2006 at 12:58 AM.
    My 2 cents: I didn't feel that the 650 was enough of an upgrade to warrant $650 either. So I didn't - but that's just me. You did however. Now I feel the 700P upgrade from the 600 is reasonably worth $650. Again, that's just me. I can understand that you feel the upgrade from the 650 is not worth it. I wouldn't either, like you. But other people in your situation DID. So that's just our opinion then. So we should leave it at that. But we can also talk about it some more. That's just me though. Others might think differently.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Yes, everyone uses them differently, I am glad I went from the 650 to the 700. The EV-DO is real nice and I went from having <2 megs free to 44 megs and yes I do have a 2 gig card, there is only so much you can put on the card, the other stuff ends up in memory and I tried real hard to keep memory free. These things are a big bonus, plus the not crashing as much, maybe the memory helped with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnic
    Yes, everyone uses them differently, I am glad I went from the 650 to the 700. The EV-DO is real nice and I went from having <2 megs free to 44 megs and yes I do have a 2 gig card, there is only so much you can put on the card, the other stuff ends up in memory and I tried real hard to keep memory free. These things are a big bonus, plus the not crashing as much, maybe the memory helped with that.
    Well you should be happy that you feel you made the right decision. After all, YOU're the only one responsible for it. Kudos...
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    From what I read, opinions were wanted and I told what I thought were benefits. If a person were to buy it and hate the thing like some on these boards it would have been better not to buy it, some are waiting and asking questions, I am just giving my opinion of the device and how I feel wanting to help others make an informed choice.
    And so did I. I wasn't being sarcastic - did it sound like that? Apologies. I actually agree with you. So it's all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3
    -EV-DO, but I've played with the Power Vision network. It's not noticeably faster than the regular network. I hit the web and get the answers I need, or download my e-mail at about the same speed (I ran both phones side by side in the store).
    That sounds like either you weren't in an EVDO area or the 700P just doesn't take advantage of EVDOs 5x greater speed. On WM5.0 devices, I find the difference in speed to be significant even with casual inspection.
    Whether it's worth it or not is largely dependent on the subject's amount of disposable income.

The EVDO speed boost is extremely noticeable when paired via USB to a laptop. Perhaps not so much so when you're just surfing the web... but downloading bunches of data, or playing WoW (no, I don't play that game anymore, I'm just saying...) is not entirely possible. And the upgrade is especially nice if your employer is footing the cell phone bill -- makes the $40 PAM plan much more acceptable.

But, from surfing on the phone... Xiino on the 650 made surfing pretty darn fast and convenient, IMHO (except when the proxy server in japan went down).

Personally, last year I "upgraded" from a 650 to the PPC-6700... then immediately regretted it as the 6700 was unstable and had the generally crappy taste of windows throughout. Sure, surfing and tethering at EVDO speeds was nice, but as a phone, I think it was a horrible experience. But I had already given my old 650 to my sister as a gift, didn't feel right to ask for it back.

So going from the PPC-6700 to 700p was entirely worth it. If I still had my 650 though, I probably wouldn't have made the switch so quickly.
    for crying out loud, if you can afford it and you want/need it, get it and stop the b1tching.

i don't really care if anyone else is upgrading or not. read the specs and forum discussions, then MAKE UP YOUR OWN mind about upgrading.

geesh, this isn't rocket science or live-or-die decision..

my two pennies.
    There's always going to be "useless" posts of people either talking themselves into the latest and greatest or out of the latest and greatest..... :/
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    Nice summary of things that have been said here about 30 million times by others.
    Another disillusioned customer trying to commiserate with like-minded enthusiasts and you mock him. Another Palm **** boy is hatched, disappointing Lou.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    My 2 cents: I didn't feel that the 650 was enough of an upgrade to warrant $650 either. So I didn't - but that's just me. You did however. Now I feel the 700P upgrade from the 600 is reasonably worth $650. Again, that's just me. I can understand that you feel the upgrade from the 650 is not worth it. I wouldn't either, like you. But other people in your situation DID. So that's just our opinion then. So we should leave it at that. But we can also talk about it some more. That's just me though. Others might think differently.
    Is this Haggar or are you a Unitarian?
    I think a better question to have asked, pelikan3, is "is the 700p an innovation". Many people will be happy to put down $600 for a non-innovative product. Others won't. But all that aside,

I beesech you (oh board) is the 700p an innovation?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    To be honest, I'm less concerned with the new user accessible memory than with the new ROM memory. It's true that one could always duplicate the user accessible memory with an SD card. But the cache memory in ROM was pretty meager on the 650. As a result, a lot of the time you'd open Blazer and it would tell you there wasn't enough memory to open the page you were looking for. Then, I'd try to open my Tom Tom GPS, and it wouldn't have enough memory to run. An SD card doesn't fix that. DB Cache was a decent software solution, clearing out the cache periodically, but it makes you wait about a minute while you're either booting up or waiting to enter a memory intensive program. And it requires you to reset the device all the time to trigger a cache clear.

With the 700, all of this is gone. There is always enough space for any program to open. There's even enough to create a multi-megabyte cache in blazer so that when backing up through pages, they're reloading instantly from memory, not slowly from the Web. That, combined with EVDO, makes web surfing a totally different experience on the 700. If you don't care about web surfing, though, and you don't have any other large memory applications (like Tom Tom), then there's nothing that useful about a 700 compared to a 650.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast