Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The biggest problem is that the 700p is worse than the 650 in some areas. The 700p runs a lot slower and can't run all of the same programs as the 650. Those programs will probably be updated before too long, but the speed problem will be there for a while.
    The biggest difference between the 600 and the 650 was the screen rez.
    The biggest difference between the 650 and the 700 is EVDO.
    If you don't live in an EVDO area or don't want to pay VZW's high cost, there's no reason to upgrade from the 650.
    [QUOTE=pelikan3
    Is it cool? Oh yeah! Would I buy it if I had the bucks and no PDA phone? Maybe, if I could afford it. But, if I already had a 650 (and I do)? Not without an amazing deal (Like I sell my phone for $300 and get a new one for $399). It's really not the monumental jump in quality and performance that the 600 to the 650 was.

Just my 650 cents.[/QUOTE]

How about if you were able to calll the Retentions department (or whatever they want to call themselves) and get the phone for $150 like I did and not have to give them back my 650 like some other have had to. Since I can get the new phone, get it set up, then sell my 650 for the same $150 or more, I will have a brand new phone with the minor improvements you point out at no cost to me and I am now again within a warranty period (I bought the 650 when they came 1st came out).

How cool is that?
    jamesalexander (at) compuserve.com
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    The funny thing is that when 650 first came out, many 600 owners thought the 650 was not that big an improvement over 600 either....
    And, depending upon what they were using it for, they were right. The short battery life, and lack of a removable battery were what stayed my hand back then.
  5.    #25  
    It's called discourse. People do it sometimes just to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by xfer
    for crying out loud, if you can afford it and you want/need it, get it and stop the b1tching.

i don't really care if anyone else is upgrading or not. read the specs and forum discussions, then MAKE UP YOUR OWN mind about upgrading.

geesh, this isn't rocket science or live-or-die decision..

my two pennies.
    The interesting thing about these posts is that the 650 upgrade to 700P is really just a matter of personal taste. People who frequent these types of forums are so used to using others to evaluate products prior to making a purchase for themselves that when there is no consensus people get stuck in the mud over the same issues.

At this point it should be clear, for current 650 users, the 700P IS NOT A CLEAR UPGRADE. Those on the fence should use the device before making the purchase.

As I said in a different thread, for 600 users the 700P is the clear upgrade that many of us wanted for a while. If I owned a 650 there is no way I would get the 700P unless I needed the web for business or I could get it at a depply discounted price.
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    At this point it should be clear, for current 650 users, the 700P IS NOT A CLEAR UPGRADE. Those on the fence should use the device before making the purchase.

As I said in a different thread, for 600 users the 700P is the clear upgrade that many of us wanted for a while. If I owned a 650 there is no way I would get the 700P unless I needed the web for business or I could get it at a depply discounted price.
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    The interesting thing about these posts is that the 650 upgrade to 700P is really just a matter of personal taste. People who frequent these types of forums are so used to using others to evaluate products prior to making a purchase for themselves that when there is no consensus people get stuck in the mud over the same issues.

Of course, it is all a matter of personal taste, as you pointed out
    If it had GPS and wifi. it would be a perfect device.

Data speed makes a huge difference in user experience and what you can do and is hard to understand unless u actually use it.

I do worry though that the palm os is getting dated tho with some limits on use of media and other files. they either need to upgrade the OS or just use windows
    I'm returning it and buying some wine
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky
    If it had GPS and wifi. it would be a perfect device.

Data speed makes a huge difference in user experience and what you can do and is hard to understand unless u actually use it.

I do worry though that the palm os is getting dated tho with some limits on use of media and other files. they either need to upgrade the OS or just use windows
    Now THERE is the true blasphemer. He will be stoned to death around here for this suggestion alone.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoskater
    I'm returning it and buying some wine
    But whine here is free!! Keep the Treo, read the whine.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12