Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    MobiVoip seems to be glad to take you money, but there is hardly an service provided.

I made one call yesterday and it was choppy as hell.

I was in full evdo coverage.

I have tried all day today...can't make a single call.

Either their server is now blocked by Sprint, or they can't even run their servers correctly.

In either case, it's not good. The whole thing seems a bit dodgy.

Anyone having success?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    The issue is the outbound speeds. You need almost 100kbps to get any kind of quality. I don't think EVDO can sustain that.

Joe
  3.    #3  
    If that was so, why would they even offer it?

I though you could to voip on less than 100k outbound stream...
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I don't know about mobivoip, but I used jajah today and it was awesome as far as quality and price:

www.jajah.com/mini

You get a free 5 minute call within the us and canada to test it out, after that many calls are under 2 cents a minute. I would think you would need to try it using evdo since they call shortly after you hit the send key, although there is an option for some sort of dealy I believe.
    flash in the pan scam, man!
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    I don't know about mobivoip, but I used jajah today and it was awesome as far as quality and price:

www.jajah.com/mini

You get a free 5 minute call within the us and canada to test it out, after that many calls are under 2 cents a minute. I would think you would need to try it using evdo since they call shortly after you hit the send key, although there is an option for some sort of dealy I believe.
    this doesnt work on the Treo? it only works on desktop.
  7.    #7  
    Seems to be working so-so now...maybe it was just a glitch.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    The issue is the outbound speeds. You need almost 100kbps to get any kind of quality. I don't think EVDO can sustain that.

Joe

It's not just a matter of speed, although you do need a minimum speed. The other main issue is latency, and the version of EVDO that the Treo 700p supports (revision 0), has too high a latency and to low an uplink speed to be effective. Once a future Treo comes out that supports Revision A (which should be deployed (Revision A that is, not a new Treo) by Sprint and Verizon and actually available for consumers by next year), VOIP should be totally possible. Before then, one could do some very low-quality internet-telephony application, but it would probably be reminiscent of that type of PC software back from 1995!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    It's not just a matter of speed, although you do need a minimum speed. The other main issue is latency, and the version of EVDO that the Treo 700p supports (revision 0), has too high a latency and to low an uplink speed to be effective. Once a future Treo comes out that supports Revision A (which should be deployed (Revision A that is, not a new Treo) by Sprint and Verizon and actually available for consumers by next year), VOIP should be totally possible. Before then, one could do some very low-quality internet-telephony application, but it would probably be reminiscent of that type of PC software back from 1995!
    The only question is why am I able to run Skype (high speed version) on my 6700 over EvDO and have a high quality conversation on both ends?

Only answers there are (and EvDO revision 0 is not one of them):

1) MobiVOIP is not compressing very well/still needs more work

2) Palm OS/Treo 700P does not handle EvDO very well (at this point).

I actually think it's a combination of both and time will tell. But it's not the network...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burnBabyburn
    Actually, the main site, www.jajah.com didn't work on the Treo, but the mini site worked great on my 700p. I had EVDO working if that made any difference, although it shouldn't since all you are doing is navigating to the website, you are not using high data speeds to carry the conversation.

I was exceptionally happy with it.
    Personally I don't like the subscription based format of the MobiVOIP at all...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    MobiVoIP is by the same folks who are working on Causerie. They're currently trying to get their apps to be 700p compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    MobiVoip seems to be glad to take you money, but there is hardly an service provided.

I made one call yesterday and it was choppy as hell.

I was in full evdo coverage.

I have tried all day today...can't make a single call.

Either their server is now blocked by Sprint, or they can't even run their servers correctly.

In either case, it's not good. The whole thing seems a bit dodgy.

Anyone having success?
    Mike, we have many users who are using the software successfully on Wifi and BT.

For EVDO, it depends on your carrier connection.

What are your bandwidth speeds on EVDO? You can browse http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed from your blazer to learn more about the speeds you are getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97

Joe
    EVDO can definitely get better speeds. The problem is upload speed which gets flaky as it still uses 1xrtt speeds. Depending on how many users using upload bandwidth - the quality will differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by burnBabyburn
    Yes, mobiVoIP is the first application for Palm running VoIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Right to dot.

However, I presume that current 700p network components can handle EVDO Rev A without any upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    The only question is why am I able to run Skype (high speed version) on my 6700 over EvDO and have a high quality conversation on both ends?

Only answers there are (and EvDO revision 0 is not one of them):

1) MobiVOIP is not compressing very well/still needs more work

2) Palm OS/Treo 700P does not handle EvDO very well (at this point).

I actually think it's a combination of both and time will tell. But it's not the network...
    Skype runs fine on EVDO (not always) and so shall mobiVoIP. EVDO (rev 0) is flaky in upload speeds which should go away when carriers deploy EVDO Rev A.

mobiVOIP uses GSM codec which compresses as good as Skype (ilibc). Both require ~15kbs (one way). We are working on other codecs which should work better and require only 10kbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Personally I don't like the subscription based format of the MobiVOIP at all...
    Gaurav: mobiVoIP pays carriers for calls and so we charge customers.

For enterprise customers, yes, we do offer builds which can talk to their corporate VoIP server directly and hence not subscription based. Since mobiVoIP supports GSM and G711 codec at this point, the corporate VoIP servers should support them.
    Not to dis mobivoip or skype, but for us USA based users, these are not that usefull for cheap LD.

There are many dial-around services out there that'll give you very cheap international calls without all the hassels, iffy quality. You dial an access #, it recognizes your phone #, prompts you to dial a tel. number. Depending on how you set up your speed dials, it means, at most, 1-2 extra key strokes.

I've used stanacard with good results from my homephone. But there are many others comparable.

Now, if mobivoip also had a PC client as well, like Skype, THAT would be interesting and remove my annoyance of Palm wrt WM5.

HINT HINT....
    Quote Originally Posted by causerie
    Skype runs fine on EVDO (not always) and so shall mobiVoIP. EVDO (rev 0) is flaky in upload speeds which should go away when carriers deploy EVDO Rev A.

mobiVOIP uses GSM codec which compresses as good as Skype (ilibc). Both require ~15kbs (one way). We are working on other codecs which should work better and require only 10kbs.
    Will revision A require new hardware or will the 700p be able to take advantage of it?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast