Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Really like the Treo and always get the newest model out. The 700p is a beautiful design, nice to use, good feature set to move up with. The only problem I am having has become a personal peeve I'm sure, but wanted to find out how many others have had similar results.

Had a 600: very good construction on the keyboard.

Moved up to a 650: had to go through two units to get a keyboard that didn't have a mushy key somewhere.

Now on my THIRD 700p: the first one had mushy keys on the left side; the second had a very squeaky on/off key; the one I have now has three or four keys on the right side that either squeak, creak, or make little crackling sounds. Statistically this seems improbable. All are Verizon and my local store manager is aggravated at me because I've returned two of his units. And I am aggravated at Palm for lousy quality control.

All the above fits in the nuisance category because keys are always functional. Still, a $500+ device should be better built, IMHO.

end rant
    Assembled in Taiwan. Mine is fine. I had two bad phones with loose internal parts when the TREO 600 came out (assembled in Mexico). I have a dream. Can we assemble phones here.
    Mine does that creak as well. It is driving me batty. Ordered it through corporate so can not take it back to replace it. It is the same as yours with the right side. Mine are pretty much bottom row... Menu to space. Second row
    m to c
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm tree
    Really like the Treo and always get the newest model out. The 700p is a beautiful design, nice to use, good feature set to move up with. The only problem I am having has become a personal peeve I'm sure, but wanted to find out how many others have had similar results.

Had a 600: very good construction on the keyboard.

Moved up to a 650: had to go through two units to get a keyboard that didn't have a mushy key somewhere.

Now on my THIRD 700p: the first one had mushy keys on the left side; the second had a very squeaky on/off key; the one I have now has three or four keys on the right side that either squeak, creak, or make little crackling sounds. Statistically this seems improbable. All are Verizon and my local store manager is aggravated at me because I've returned two of his units. And I am aggravated at Palm for lousy quality control.

All the above fits in the nuisance category because keys are always functional. Still, a $500+ device should be better built, IMHO.

end rant
    My shift key is total mush, but it works. I'm debating exchanging it, but I think I'm gonna wait to see if anything else fails on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Assembled in Taiwan. Mine is fine. I had two bad phones with loose internal parts when the TREO 600 came out (assembled in Mexico). I have a dream. Can we assemble phones here.
    Like those "well built" GM cars
    yep I get that same annoying squeak in the power key. plus I am not sure of the diff but I liked the t650 keys better they seemed to be more pointy
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Course of Action 1. I could negotiate with Verizon to see how many they would be willing to send me.
    Pro: Might finally get a good one
    Con: Might never get a good one
    Con: All of them might be worse than what I have now

Course of Action 2. Find instructions via Google and take the sucker apart to see if I can fix it.
    Pro: Might work
    Con: Might @#$%& the thing up totally

Course of Action 3. Hire somebody to do the above.
    Con: Who?

Course of Action 4. Live with it.
    Pro: Might get used to it
    Con: That sucks
    my bottom right keys all had that squeaky noise (menu, alt, enter, ., space). One day it fell off the side of my bed and the keys stoped squeaking. I guess something shifted postion's and slide into where it was supposed to be. Just try tossing your treo at the wall and see if that works.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Hatch, you're brilliant! UFB!

I got the idea to rub the keyboard real hard with my thumb. After wiping out some of my tasks I realized it would be cool to remove the battery.

With the Treo under anesthesia, I proceeded to operate. Rubbing both up and down, sideways, circular, etc. and then testing for squeaks each time, I found that the problems could be cured, then brought back again, depending on direction and frequency. Continuing the scientific experiment, I was able to get consistent results with a strong top-to-bottom rub, ELIMINATING ALL the squeaks!

Please spread this news around. Verizon will be happy. Palm will be happy. Most important, Treo users will be happy.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Good news...worth a bump.
    I did that too Palm_tree, but it just made my other keys start creaking. Mayby I should drop it ;-)
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I realized this morning. They need to be spanked. Remove the battery, as usual. Whap the device firmly, keyboard down, into your hand [as in clapping].
    You've seen similar moves by smokers tapping a new pack of cigarettes several times. Voilą! The squeaks are greatly diminished. The menu key seems to be permanently cured, but the on/off, mail, and home keys are recalcitrant. We'll see how long it takes for them to break in.