1.    #1  
    Anybody having issues with Versamail checking your Gmail account? Versamail will download my huge backlog of e-mail (around 3000) from Gmail in chunks (a couple hundred, or under a hundred) every time I hit "get" but never downloads all the mail available on the web. After 400-700 e-mails it is like the server or Versamail gets tired .

It will check for new e-mail and show that it is downloading it but it won't show up in my inbox. Or it will check and not find any new e-mail. Sometimes I can check for more mail after a break and it will find more of the back logged e-mails. It never gets all the mail to date though. I've deleted mailboxes and started fresh a few different times in Versmail to try to solve the problem but it has not helped.

The same thing seems to be happening in Chatter too, at least when I get it to run long enough without crashing.

Can anybody help me? I would love to get POP e-mail up and running on my Treo but have to solve this bug first.

Michael
    I wonder if it's a technical limitation. 400-700 emails is a bit hard to navigate already. I haven't had any issues with grabbing all messages that succeeds my POP-activation in GMail.
    Why would you want all that email taking up memory on your phone? I only keep the last week's worth of my Gmail on mine. If I need something older, I access Gmail through the web.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    Why would you want all that email taking up memory on your phone? I only keep the last week's worth of my Gmail on mine. If I need something older, I access Gmail through the web.
    Related to my question. Once you pull in a gmail with versamail and delete it from the palm pilot, but not gmail, is there an option I am missing to retrieve an e-mail again with versamial?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    gmail has POP options to retrieve mail from "now on", or start from the beginning (all of the inbox). I sounds like you chose the latter.

I just wish there was a way to delete mail when I POP. Even though I have Versamail set to do this, the mail stays in my gmail inbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by cresny
    gmail has POP options to retrieve mail from "now on", or start from the beginning (all of the inbox). I sounds like you chose the latter.

I just wish there was a way to delete mail when I POP. Even though I have Versamail set to do this, the mail stays in my gmail inbox.
    I'm having the same issue. I turned on that same feature, and it still doesn't delete it from my gmail inbox.........

-t
    Treo 700p -->> 755p
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the suggestions. I set Gmail to give me only messages from now on with POP. Things seemed to be going well after a few test messages came through fine. I just checked my e-mail with versamail again though and it says there are two more new messages and the progress bar shows that it downloads them but they do not show up anywhere in the mailbox. The messages are there as I see them with Gmail but not displaying or being downloaded by versamail.

RICHINMJ:
    I believe that once you retrieve a gmail message with versamail you cannot get it again as versamail keeps track of what you have gotten already and deleted. I could be wrong.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I have always found gmails pop access to be flakey. I have gmail forward mail (and keep a copy) to my sprint account. This is nice because then i can delete mail at will and always know there is a copy in my gmail account.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Why does versamail sync messages I send from gmail (from a computer) as a new recieved message on my treo? Am I missing something with this? Why wouldnt it sync it with the sent items?
    Gmail pop via versamail has been buggy for me even on the 650.. i juust use the web
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    I am having the same problems with my treo and gmail. Im curious, has anyone found a good email program to use with gmail on your 700p?

I am trying to use versamail also but its annoying that it has to connect every 15 min. Id rather just go online and check. Please someone find a good program for us
    The browser is so fast, I just go straight to the web version of gmail. The only problem I am having is that I can't get it to go to simple html version; I have to change it each time. (Anyuone have any suggestion?) But the advantage is that once I delete a message it is deleted everywhere, just as on the web. I have found the mobile version of gmail useless in general; I use the standard version.
    Laissez Faire
    SnapperMail + FastMail has been the perfect combination for me. FastMail gathers mail from all of my gmail accounts, HotMail, etc. into one place. I use Snapper to IMAP from two accounts: FastMail & work. Snapper is way nicer than using web-based e-mail. Simple and very effective.

I ran into Wersamail's limitations too. That's why I'm using SnapperMail.

Other folks swear by ChatterEmail. Either Chatter or Snapper will get you to leave Wersamail and never look back.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by gobigblue
    Why does versamail sync messages I send from gmail (from a computer) as a new recieved message on my treo? Am I missing something with this? Why wouldnt it sync it with the sent items?
    It isn't only VersaMail. I use SnapperMail to retrieve my Gmail, and messages I send from Gmail using my PC arrive in my SnapperMail inbox along with any messages in my Gmail inbox. I think it has to do with the way Gmail sorts and stores e-mail, rather than how the Palm mail app handles it.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    SnapperMail + FastMail has been the perfect combination for me. FastMail gathers mail from all of my gmail accounts, HotMail, etc. into one place. I use Snapper to IMAP from two accounts: FastMail & work. Snapper is way nicer than using web-based e-mail. Simple and very effective.

I ran into Wersamail's limitations too. That's why I'm using SnapperMail.

Other folks swear by ChatterEmail. Either Chatter or Snapper will get you to leave Wersamail and never look back.

Quick question on FastMail/IMAP: When you delete a message on your Treo that FastMail acquired from your gMail account, does FastMail delete the copy on your gMail account also? I basically would like to keep sending to my Yahoo and Gmail account and have fastmail setup to manage mail on my Treo. Thanks.
    The problem here, imo, is gmail related. Because of gmail's unique conversational bundling of emails, most email clients will have issues with gmail, including the desktop-based email client.

I no longer use versamail to check my gmail account. I forward all my gmail emails to my yahoo account and access them that way. Yahoo mail works great with versamail.
    I guess you could say I have the opposite problem. Versamail logs in to Gmail without issuing an error but never downloads any messages. I know POP3 access is working on Gmail because I successfully retrieve my mail using my PC. Both PC and T700p are configured to leave the mail on the server. Could Gmail be preventing me from downloading a duplicate copy?
    I'm using Gmail via VersaMail and it works great. But I did have one message that was repeatedly downloaded, even if I kept deleting it on the handheld. Finally, when it was past my Versamail threshold for how old msgs should be to be downloaded, it got even more annoying.... it would act like there were new msgs, and start downloading that old msg, and then abort with a note to me about how it was older than the threshold setting.

Lesson.... if you have a problem where the same email is repeatedly downloaded, you should id it and deal with it before it gets too old. In my case, I forwarded the conversation to another account, and deleted the converstaion on gmail. Unfortunately, I didn't pay proper attn to the fact that the conversation actually contained multiple "threads", so I think I lost some of it. Not critical, but something to watch out for.

But even if I get that kind of rare problem, I love the Versamail and Gmail combo. I still only get mail on demand, though, because I don't trust the stability if it is set to regularly sync mail, and I don't like the Treo freezing every x mins.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I've been using VersaMail on the 700p, and I think it sucks compared with Snapper Mail.