1.    #1  
    I've used Palms since 2000 and they have all had an IR transmitter/receiver. Maybe it's just me, but other than a brief stint with an IR keyboard, I never get to use the feature. Would like to hear from other users about the their uses. Just spent over 5 big ones on the new 700p and I want to use every ounce of it .

wil
    As a Sprint Rep I use it 3-4 times a week to beam my business card, trial backup programs, web links, and shareware etc. to new Treo Customers.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    there is a program called noviiremote that let you use your Palm as a remote control for TV, DVD....
    and of course you can hotsync with your laptop if you don't want to carry the big cradle on a bussiness trip
    I actually beamed a couple of important contact categories from my TX right when I got the 700p to get me up and running without installing any software. But I otherwise agree, it's pretty useless. IR hotsyncs are VERY slow. In 10 years of using a Palm, I've used the IR about 20 times and never was it a necessity. I'd gladly trade the IR for WiFi!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I use thr Ir to load files (wavs midis) into my 650 that wouldn't hotsync in
    the occasional givin a freebie away to a friend.
    range is too short to use as a remote control. by the time the IR works I can reach the tv
    I sometimes sit with my wife and I beam my calendar items to her Treo.

OK. I did this once. Just as a proof of concept because she's so non-geek. And I doubt I'll do it again. It's clunky.
    If you have a printer with an IR port (like my older HP 2200 laserjet) it can be VERY handy -- just beam a memo or photo to the printer to print it! The Windows PPC's I looked at didn't even have that without an add-on program.

I've also found it handy for beaming small files between my older Zaurus Linux PDA and my treo. Easier and faster than swapping SD cards or something. And just knowing that I *can* beam my business card to anyone, I don't have to remember to bring any attachments or anything.

I wouldn't rate it as more important than the ability to use SD cards though :-) especially now that most drugstores have machines you can pop your SD card into to print photos -- I haven't seen any that let you IR beam the photo to them.
    I read this thread and thought, well hmm, my 600 had IR, but I'm pretty sure my 650 didn't and I don't think my 700p does. I could never get the 650's IR to work. So I tried beaming between the two (650 and 700p) about two inches apart and it didn't work. Then I thought, well, hm, let me actually make them touch -- and I could beam between the two. It worked. I was shocked about two things: that I had IR all this time on the 650, and that I literally had to have the two IR ports touching in order for them to detect each other. (I'm talking about IR here only...bluetooth on the 700p doesn't have that problem, nor on the 650).
    Quote Originally Posted by ddahorton
    I read this thread and thought, well hmm, my 600 had IR, but I'm pretty sure my 650 didn't and I don't think my 700p does. I could never get the 650's IR to work. So I tried beaming between the two (650 and 700p) about two inches apart and it didn't work. Then I thought, well, hm, let me actually make them touch -- and I could beam between the two. It worked. I was shocked about two things: that I had IR all this time on the 650, and that I literally had to have the two IR ports touching in order for them to detect each other. (I'm talking about IR here only...bluetooth on the 700p doesn't have that problem, nor on the 650).

They don't have to touch, it just may take a few seconds for them to establish a link. This is for all palm devices.
    Palm Pilot-->Palm III-->Palm IIIc-->Palm 505-->Palm 515-->Sprint Treo 600--> soon: Sprint Treo 700P
    I think nowadays, bluetooth is the new IR. Most devices come with BT so sending stuff is not only easier ( no lining up ) it's faster, and can be done from farther away. I doubt IR will be around in PDA/smartphone form for long.
    Visit my smartphone website :
    Smartphone Reviews
    Reviews & news on all smartphones - including the Treo line.
    Sure, I use DA a lot to find addresses and add them to my contacts. Then I IR them to my Magellan GPS in my car to get there. Great for trying out ney restaurants
    The problem with the IR port on most Palm devices is that it is a weak and poor range. In fact, one of the great distinguishing features of Sony Clies was the fact that Sony almost always integrated CIR (consumer IR) which made the devices fanastic as IR remote replacemnts for your TV etc. CIR make apps liek Noviiremote, Omniremote much more useful.

Palm in comparison always seems to make thing less than adequate on purpose it seems!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions