Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I am considering buying a 700P I was not even considering it at all because the 650 is actually just fine and I didnt want to pay for EVDO but then I got a great deal on EVDO and now I have to make the decision.. i need to make it quick and am not finding this information quickly searching around..

First of all I have these questions....

- since this is palm, i would assume theres no flash.. which means i couldn't go to sites like youtube or google video which makes uses of flash video..like i could with a windows treo ... right?

- do the following apps work properly on the 700p as of today - backupman, tomtom bluetooth, dir assistance, VolumCare (if they didnt fix the freakin volume issues yet) verichat, Kalemsoft NES Emulator, PDAnet. There are apps i use all the time and life would become harder not having them.

-Also does bluetooth and speaksphone work well yet?

- do they have freaking on board voice dialing yet....

I have always said I love the Treo because it is a masterbalance of subpar/medicore. It does many things kindddda ok-like which makes it very adaptable but it doesnt mean I dont yearn for a day when it does everything SOMEWHAT WELL! enough.... betas, builds, lemons and guineapigs... time to put out products that work out of the box.

If you know of other reasons I SHOULD get the 700p please tell me.. the only ones I can see are EVDO at the moment and maybe the 1.3 megapixel but im sure those pictures look pretty crappy anyway.
    same with the 700p....if it only worked the way we expect it to
    Well if Ev-DO and the camera don't interest you, there's probably not much reason to get a 700p, unless you can get a really good deal on it. The only major changes between the 700p and the 650 were Ev-DO, the camera, and more RAM. Otherwise there's not much different between the two devices. Having more RAM does lead to a generally faster experience, although I'm not sure if it being faster would make it worth the money.

The camera....from the pictures I've seen posted on TC, it seems that Palm has increased the resolution of the camera, but not the picture quality. My Samsung A900 is also 1.3MP, but it has much better picture quality IMO than the 700p. Although I will give the 700p a little bit of slack because Samsung has made tons of camera phones and by now, they know how to make a good camera phone, but Palm hasn't had so much experience (although that doesn't mean they couldn't have improved the picture quality a little bit or added a flash)

As far as your other questions (which could probably be answered by doing a search hint hint),

I don't have any experience with YouTube and PalmOS, but I don't think you'd be able to view Flash files on the Treo.

BT: Most people say the Bluetooth has greatly improved over the 650, although some people report having problems with certain Bluetooth headsets. There's an article on Palm somewhere that shows which BT headsets work with the 700p and which don't, although some have had different experiences with thier headsets.

Built in voice dialing? Oh how we wish it did....Palm has yet to add built in voice dialing, you'd need a third party solution.
    Last edited by Trevante; 06/06/2006 at 06:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    EVDO is the only thing that really interests me.. the only reason im even considering it is because i can get a great price now on a sero plan.

oh man.... i just noticed but WHY did they change their button layout AGAIN....

what is MENU doing in the lower right again... i hated that layout..... it was good with the 650... what on earth is home doing over where the screen off button is supposed to be... seriously... cmon CMON!
    I wouldnt' underestimate the value of more ram. Sure, it sucks paying for a new device to get something that could have been included in the first go-round, but that's life.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    well you know, if i could use my apps that i need and continue onward... that would be great.... but i got the Treo 600 the day it came out and the 650 the day it came out..and from those experiences...if i get this thing and it takes the typical 1-2 months to stop tweaking and freaking out and find a balance / get updates etc... i dunno.

k...maybe im better off with the 650. Im just wondering how stable ppl have really found the 700p and how rocky the transition has been.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I wouldnt' underestimate the value of more ram. Sure, it sucks paying for a new device to get something that could have been included in the first go-round, but that's life.
    But is more RAM really worth $400-700, especially considering he already has a working 650?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i would love the evdo.. i dont even use email on my treo because of its horrible verichat download times... so that would be a plus... i would love to know if voice/speakerphone quality has increased as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    But is more RAM really worth $400-700, especially considering he already has a working 650?
    Depends how he uses it. A lot of people had a crippled 650 because of hte lack of memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    well you know, if i could use my apps that i need and continue onward... that would be great.... but i got the Treo 600 the day it came out and the 650 the day it came out..and from those experiences...if i get this thing and it takes the typical 1-2 months to stop tweaking and freaking out and find a balance / get updates etc... i dunno.

k...maybe im better off with the 650. Im just wondering how stable ppl have really found the 700p and how rocky the transition has been.
    Well the difference this time is that they took a lot longer to test the device before they brought it to market. It doesn't mean that there won't be any bugs, but there should be a lot less.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...