1.    #1  
    I need some advice on migrating from the 600 to the 700p.

I have been a longtime Palm user (like most here) and have some apps that is time to go but they have key info in them. Thus, I am looking for a plan to migrate to the 700p.

Treo 600 apps:
    - Franklin Covey Planner 7.3 *
    - Pocket Quicken 2.03
    - Vindigo 2.75.1.2
    - Ptunes 3.0.6
    - CallFilter 1.3.1
    - Card Export 2.16.686 *
    - Zlauncher 5.0
    SD_Card
    - AvantGo 5.5
    - Adobe Reader 3.05 *
    - BibleR+ 3.51
    - Spider 1.38 *
    - SplashID 2.56 *
    - SplashShopper 2.55 *
    - TCPMP 0.71

* Apps that don't have to migrate to the Treo 700p.

So far I have not done anything but make calls and browse online with the 700p.

My biggest concern is getting contacts, memo notes and email over the 700p without a lot of old clutter.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    Palm Pilot-->Palm III-->Palm IIIc-->Palm 505-->Palm 515-->Sprint Treo 600--> soon: Sprint Treo 700P
  2.    #2  
    I did find a thread that addresses some of my concerns but not all.
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

I guess, I will try this:

Do a last hot sync with your 600 and then follow these clean install instructions:

1. Install the Treo 700p Desktop from it's CD -- it put's 700p conduits into place.

2. Hard Reset your 700p , creating a "just out of the box" 700p (unless it is just out of box)

3. Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold) ...Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea. (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)

4. Before you proceed, right click the Hotsync Manager icon in the program tray, choose Custom and check the action of your PIM conduits (Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Contacts); if any are set to "Handheld overwrites desktop", change them to either Synchronize or DT overwrites HH - otherwise, you will delete all the PIM data on the desktop.

5. Hot Sync the 700p to your userid.

You should have a clean Treo 700p with only your PIM data brought back from the 600.

Now install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 700p -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.)

When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up the way the 700p likes it.:-)

You should be good to go. (Do not HotSync the 600 to this userid again -- that will mess things up.)
    Palm Pilot-->Palm III-->Palm IIIc-->Palm 505-->Palm 515-->Sprint Treo 600--> soon: Sprint Treo 700P
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by K_FleXXX
    1. Install the Treo 700p Desktop from it's CD -- (it put's 700p conduits into place. but also disable the conduits to the FPS desktop)

2. Hard Reset your 700p , creating a "just out of the box" 700p (unless it is just out of box)

3. Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold) ...Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea. (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)

4. Before you proceed, right click the Hotsync Manager icon in the program tray, choose Custom and check the action of your PIM conduits (Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Contacts); if any are set to "Handheld overwrites desktop", change them to either Synchronize or DT overwrites HH - otherwise, you will delete all the PIM data on the desktop.

5. Hot Sync the 700p to your userid.

You should have a clean Treo 700p with only your PIM data brought back from the 600.

Well completed up to step 5; and that did not work
    Fails due to the new Treo will not get any PIM info as result of the new conduits point to the Palm Desktop (which does not have PIM info) and not the FPS desktop with all my contact, task, memo, etc.
    Last edited by K_FleXXX; 06/06/2006 at 11:18 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by K_FleXXX
    Well completed up to step 5; and that did not work
    Fails due to the new Treo will not get any PIM info as result of the new conduits point to the Palm Desktop (which does not have PIM info) and not the FPS desktop with all my contact, task, memo, etc.

PLAN B:
    1) Beam my PIM data (Contacts, Memos) from the 600 to the 700p. By selecting and beaming entire categories at a time; makes this much easier and quicker. You can create the associated category at the end of each beamed category.

2) Manually migrate data for FPS Tasks & Calendar to Palm's Tasks & Calendar via cut and paste via each desktop.

3) Install new 3rd party software (one at a time) onto the 700p and very each function corrrectly before adding the next app.
    Last edited by K_FleXXX; 06/06/2006 at 11:40 PM.