Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by evilhomer
    I drop my treo 650 all of the time ...all that happens is the battery pops out an shoots across the floor along with the cover and the card pops out ....I put everything back together and shes good to go ...I just actually ordered the 700p ..i'll be a bit more careful
    I learned the hard way. Same thing, battery cover & battery went flying. But when I put her back together, my 650's keyboard was no longer working. Luckily, I'd gotten insurance coverage a few days before it happened...and ordered my Vaja T65 case.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Or I could cannibalize HParson's phone and repair chiselmonkeys screen and my broken keyboard connector!?!
    Hey OnceUpon, I thought of the scenarios. You are naive if you believe any of what you are spouting.

- No one walks through Target with a birthday cake. It just does not happen. I've been to many Targets, many times (even the supersize ones) - you don't see it.

- The whole thing stinks of a sob story to sucker a cheap 700p or other Treo.

- And most telling, no post back from hparsons saying he did the deal, which means the guy could not prove and lied.

Next...
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    See...that's what you get for having kids!

I'll give him a picture of a 700p. What'll that get me?
    25 cents and a cup of decaf.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Hey OnceUpon, I thought of the scenarios. You are naive if you believe any of what you are spouting.

- No one walks through Target with a birthday cake. It just does not happen. I've been to many Targets, many times (even the supersize ones) - you don't see it.

- And most telling, no post back from hparsons saying he did the deal, which means the guy could not prove and lied.

Next...
    Mikec, I have to disagree with you. Target does have a cake decorating srvice with the Super Targets and since they are a special item you get from the bakery of course you would have to walk through the store. Sorry dude but his story seems very legit and I am one ofthe most skeptical around for this kind of story. I just don't see any holes in it.

Think about it, if he were making this up wouldn't he make up a little neighborhood bakery name no one would be able to verify?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    I would have dropped the cake.

If the kid didn't agree, I would immediately perform DNA testing...'cause any kid of mine would understand: technology > food.

Even if you didn't manage to save your phone, there's a chance it would've landed safely on the cake.
    Agreed, the child had no idea what the cake looked like and a cake can be replaced for $30 versus a $600 phone. Of course his wife would not agree.

Next...
    dude, lay off the cynic-ade. Why would he lie? Its not like the offer made by hparsons is a commonly made offer. Sometimes, people just walk through Target holding birthday cakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Mikec, I have to disagree with you. Target does have a cake decorating srvice with the Super Targets and since they are a special item you get from the bakery of course you would have to walk through the store. Sorry dude but his story seems very legit and I am one ofthe most skeptical around for this kind of story. I just don't see any holes in it.

Think about it, if he were making this up wouldn't he make up a little neighborhood bakery name no one would be able to verify?
    I understand you disagreeing; I know you are pretty skeptical too.

It reeks of BS to me.

Monkey-boy has a history that belies his intentions, example:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=58748

Just trying to scam a new phone on the cheap.

Not that there's anything wrong with that - just be honest about it instead of lying about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    dude, lay off the cynic-ade. Why would he lie? Its not like the offer made by hparsons is a commonly made offer. Sometimes, people just walk through Target holding birthday cakes.
    I'll lay off the reality glassess when the tardanic fools stop with their scamming posts.

I have no issue with hparsons offer - it was very nice.

And it if Chisler was for real, we would have heard from hparsons about it. Instead, silence.

Like I said, walking through Target, balancing a birthday cake (where's the shopping cart that most people would use) and feeling your phone slipping out of a case (that you know does not work) just sounds phony. Add to it his hitsory of post try to scam the insurance to gert new phones, etc., add all the more weight that it is BS, which bring down the overall TC community.
    I checked out the referenced thread and there was nothing really bad on there. It hasn't been that long since the original post and the offer, so why are people jumping on the OP?

It's not like it's one of those begging operations where someone puts up a site, writes a sad story and asks for money. OP's just asking for a good deal and linking to the relevant threads would've worked.

Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Sorry dude but his story seems very legit and I am one ofthe most skeptical around for this kind of story. I just don't see any holes in it.
    gman, accepting someone's claim without proof, a hard document, a phone number, anything? The 700p must have softened you.

I actually agree that the story is quite plausible, but does have one HUGE hole -- he never responded when the generous offer was made in reply.
    I understand you disagreeing; I know you are pretty skeptical too.

It reeks of BS to me.

Monkey-boy has a history that belies his intentions, example:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=58748

Just trying to scam a new phone on the cheap.

Not that there's anything wrong with that - just be honest about it instead of lying about it.
    Oh, I'm sure it's merely a coincidence that everytime a new Treo is released, he tries to find a way to upgrade his "broken" ones.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Oh, I'm sure it's merely a coincidence that everytime a new Treo is released, he tries to find a way to upgrade his "broken" ones.
    What?
    WOW... You guys are better then Scotland Yard!

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    I agree that hparsons gesture is extraordinarily generous and should be applauded.

Now to sound like a grinch, whatever happened to personal responsibility? Let's see:

a.) He already broke a phone TWICE this year alone.
    b.) Has a holster he knows doesn't work well.
    c.) Puts his expensive Treo in it anyway and it gets broken.

Anyone else see a pattern here? I'm sorry for this accident, but it was clearly his fault. Accept it and pay for the mistake or better yet, learn and stop doing it.

Sorry for the grinch comments, but really!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Mikec and Insertion, I had no idea of his earlier acts. That does now cause me to question this at least a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse
    WOW... You guys are better then Scotland Yard!
    Actually they are closer to the weeds that grow in Scotland Yard but they are pretty smart to uncover that...
    Well, I haven't heard back, either here or in my email, so I'm going to assume one of 5 things is going on:

1. He doesn't log on often enough to have seen the offer
    2. He doesn't have any pictures to send me
    3. He sent me an email, my SPAM filter blocked it, and he thinks I'm not responding
    4. He already figured out how to get another phone on his own
    5. It was a bogus story and he felt guilty about the offer and is being quiet

My 700P isn't here yet (I'm expecting it today), and I plan on keeping the 650 for a couple of weeks to make sure I'm keeping the 700P, so I guess the offer will stand until then.

Ironically, my wife talked to my son-in-law (the one that works for Sprint) and told him what I planned on doing with the 650. He said that if the guy doesn't take it, he DOES want it. Go figure. I thought he'd already have whatever phone he wanted.

I'll say this to some of the cynics on here. "Super" Targets do indeed have bakeries in them, and I've seen folks with cakes in them. Usually they have them in carts, but I'm the type of person to do something exactly as incredibly ... what's the right word ... dumbsappystupid? ... as what was described here. I'd probably save the cake without even thinking of the Treo, then expect to pick up the cover and battery like I usually do when I drop mine. Then, I'd have been as heartsick as he to see the screen broken.

I guess what touched me was the kid aspect (they're all grown now, but I raised four daughters, and have g-kids now, so I understand that), and the "Yeah, that could happen to me" type of luck as well.

Finally, the offer wasn't as generous as it sounds. I've had a series of Palm Pilots over the years, moved on to Hadera 330 and then the TG Pro, and even had a Sony Clie for a while. Then I got into Treos, and was hooked. No more two devices, and even though they had quirks, I liked them. However, this is how I "got into them":

• Treo 300 - I'm a Novell (and Microsoft) network engineer, and Novell GAVE me one, in conjunction with one of their vendors and T-Mobile.
    • Treo 270 - I didn't like T-Mobile's service, so I sold it to a co-worker (who already had T-Mobile, and liked it) for the exact price that the the 270 cost
    • Treo 600 - The 270 was not insured (I won't EVER do that again) and I dropped in a bowl of gumbo. I was talking on the thing with it tucked between my ear and shoulder, and pulled the gumbo off the counter. I almost dropped the gumbo and jerked my arm to catch it, and the phone fell in (now you see why I can believe a story like the cake story). It worked for 2 days and died. I convinced my wife to let me buy the 600.
    • Treo 650 - The 650 had been out a short time, and I really wanted one, but couldn't justify the extra expense. My wife left the bilge cover off our boat, and I put the 600 on one of the berths so I wouldn't drop it in the lake. During the course of sailing, the boat heeled a bit, the Treo went off the berth in the uncovered bilge area. Luckily I had insurance this time (I learned my lesson). I took it to the Sprint store where my son-in-law works. He told me it would take a couple of days, which seemed strange to me (I assumed he could just give me another one). 2 days later (which just happened to be 12/5, my birthday) he hands me a box and said "Your phone came in". I opened it up, and it had a 650 instead of the 600, and he said "happy birthday". I told him I couldn't let him do that for me (too much $$, and they had just gotten married). He said he finangled it with his boss as a "customer satisfaction replacement".
    • Treo 700P - I haven't received it yet, but customer retention is sending me the 700P for free (well, almost - $12 for shipping and $18 for the upgrade fee) in exchange for signing my wife and I both to new 2 year contracts, and to smooth over some previous issues I had with customer service.

So, in ALL of this, 300 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 700P, all I ever paid for was the 600. I just couldn't see myself getting the 700P for free, and then charging someone for the 650. I was actually LOOKING for a good excuse to give it away, and the above story came up. Sorry folks, not looking anymore, either he gets it, or my son-in-law. Sort of ironic, that my SiL may get back the same phone he gave me!

That said, if/when I hear back from the guy, I'll update what's happened. If not, I hope to be closing out this little offer in a couple of weeks. Ya'll take care now.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    [*]Treo 600 - The 270 was not insured (I won't EVER do that again) and I dropped in a bowl of gumbo. I was talking on the thing with it tucked between my ear and shoulder, and pulled the gumbo off the counter. I almost dropped the gumbo and jerked my arm to catch it, and the phone fell in (now you see why I can believe a story like the cake story). It worked for 2 days and died. I convinced my wife to let me buy the 600.[/list]
    That story sounds fishy to me!
    "Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay."
    i have an treo 650 for selll =) not 700P
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast