Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In a word, Excellent! Put Opera Mini on my 700p and at first, I was hacked off. The browser was lightning fast, but large pages would get broken up into three or four pages and I did not like that.

I didn't realize that the IBM Java settings were set to allow only 1MB per page...anyway, I moved that setting to allow 32MB per page and WOW! Smokes blazer...shames blazer...crushes blazer...throw in another adjective if you like!

Checked my speed report at http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed and while blazer was rendering at 250k (totally unacceptable for EVDO)...opera was cruising at a minimum of 650k and at times unmeasurable speeds. Not to mention, Opera Mini is free and is just looks a heck of a lot better than Blazer.
    Last edited by Treo 700p Owner; 06/06/2006 at 03:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo 700p Owner
    In a word,Excellent! Checked my speed report at http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed and while blazer was rendering at 250k...
    D'oh! those speed results do not represent your speeds, Opera operates under Proxy, so you're seeing results from Opera's servers. That said, I use Opera as my primary browser on the 700p because it's still very fast and renders very well imo
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Installing now, thanks for the heads up, Treo 700p Owner!
    Posting from my 700 now using opera and it is blazing fast
    I didn't realize that the IBM Java settings were set to allow only 1MB per page...anyway, I moved that setting to allow 32MB per page and WOW! Smokes blazer...shames blazer...crushes blazer...throw in another adjective if you like!
    how did u do that I have no setting to change in IBM java except install on some page ???
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas718
    how did u do that I have no setting to change in IBM java except install on some page ???
    System Preferences...last item
  7.    #7  
    ...the fact is, it's lightning fast. I couldn't care less about proxy or whatever else you are referring to...the bottom line is that is smokes the blazer browser and renders a much nicer finished product per page. I don't care how it arrives at that!
    is there any way to make it the default browser? it doesn't seem to be an option in prefs.
    I agree. I would use blazer a lot more if were the default browser. This seems to be a huge omission. Almost a deal killer because most sites I frequent are linked from emails, through the use of genius, or bookmarks in Initiate.
    ...the fact is, it's lightning fast. I couldn't care less about proxy or whatever else you are referring to...the bottom line is that is smokes the blazer browser and renders a much nicer finished product per page. I don't care how it arrives at that!
    i'm just saying the speed report .. err never mind I love Opera!! I'll leave it at that.

And if you guys haven't done so, go get the j9secpol.prc from any of the posts in my signature so you're not prompted with the internet permission pop-up when loading Opera.
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    I just downloaded IBM Java and Opera on my 700P and it just freezes on me. Any special tricks to get it to work?
    Mine is crashing often and loading pages very slowly. I notice that under the IBM Java menu I don't have opera listed as a program. I installed from a .prc file from the opera website and couldn't locate any .jad or .jar files as the OP and even the opera website implies exist.
    Are you guys running the same Java application listed under the 650 on the palm site? If not, where did you get it?
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Could someone link to the files necessary to run this program. I'm having a hard time trying to find the correct ones to install.
    I must have the wrong files and/or settings -- runs really sloooooooow & locks up.
    Quote Originally Posted by camhabib
    Could someone link to the files necessary to run this program. I'm having a hard time trying to find the correct ones to install.
    Those who want to install java, follow the instructions in the following post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...87&postcount=3
    do you even need java to run this thing? i couldn't find the jar/jad files anywhere only found a prc file
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo
    do you even need java to run this thing? i couldn't find the jar/jad files anywhere only found a prc file
    yes, they are a special breed of prcs that require java.
  19.    #19  
    Here are a few links for you to get your opera browser set up…

Opera Mini 2.0 Download (make sure you clarify that you have a treo (650 will be fine) so you get the advanced version)

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/

IBM Java Download is required, get it here (when you download the java app, go into the settings and make sure that you set it to allow the maximum amount of mb per page and opera will work very nicely…

http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/

All of this stuff is free.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Just installed it. Not impressed really. Sorta buggy, terrible interface, and huge lag before it even starts loading. I'm glad actually because I'd like the default web browser to be the best.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast