Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay
    I must have the wrong files and/or settings -- runs really sloooooooow & locks up.
    Mine locked up until I read the install instructions on the Palm site and checked the following:
    "Use Double Buffering"

----

I just tried unchecking it and it still worked so it may have just been a coincidence that it started working.. try checking it and seeing if that helps.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to make it so Opera doesn't ask you each time if it is okay for it to access the network?

I find that to be kind of a pain.

Thanks

J
    your answer was about 12 posts prior...

Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    i'm just saying the speed report .. err never mind I love Opera!! I'll leave it at that.

And if you guys haven't done so, go get the j9secpol.prc from any of the posts in my signature so you're not prompted with the internet permission pop-up when loading Opera.
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz
    Just installed it. Not impressed really. Sorta buggy, terrible interface, and huge lag before it even starts loading. I'm glad actually because I'd like the default web browser to be the best.
    Same here. Pages just look terrible when formatted by Opera. It's faster than Blazer though.
  5.    #25  
    What you are calling a lag is Opera loading your page in. Opera does not make you watch while the page is loading, it does the loading, then renders the page.

If your default browser is running faster than Opera, then you did something wrong on the install or there is something wrong with your phone. Our company purchased the 700 for most of our employees and about six or seven of us put the browser on the phone and 100% of the phones ran significantly faster than the default Blazer.

I'm not saying this to make you mad, but seriously, you may have a buggy phone, because in a normal situation, it would be next to impossible for blazer to run faster than opera.
    Just to pic-ify the settings, here's what you have to do. Make sure you set the high-resolution coordinates checkbox, it makes a huge difference.

http://tinyurl.com/ewnru
    http://tinyurl.com/g5unk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  7.    #27  
    Nice job Funkster...great point on the settings.
    I have had all the TREO's and never messed with Blazer. Do you keep both Blazer and Opera mini on the phone and what decides which browser is going to be used?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Just to pic-ify the settings, here's what you have to do. Make sure you set the high-resolution coordinates checkbox, it makes a huge difference.
    Thanks for that, g-funkster!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Hey, this Opera *is* pretty damn fast! Now, is there an easy way to get my Blazer bookmarks imported in?

/crosses fingers
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I was having problems with Opera until I uninstalled FieldPlus. Now it works awesome. Check other apps you are running for incompatibility.
    You know if you use google to search for a site, google will pre render it for you and typically downloading from google's servers is faster than downloading from opera's servers. The only downside is you won't be able to use forms in the google rendered version.
    Just spent an hour or so on Opera mini. Faster than Blazer yes, but I like the look of Blazers pages better. Maybe I am just use to them. I also had to sign in to my email accounts when I would leave the application and get back in. Blazer keeps me signed on in yahoo mobile, sprintpcs, gmail and yahoo long version under a different ID. Couldn't use two ID's in Opera for yahoo. Which ever one was last signed showed up in both the mobile and long version.

I also had a couple of freeze points when I tried to stop a page that was loading. Had to reset.

On the plus side, if you are paying for data usage, it does seem to be more efficient. Same Blazer page use more kb's.

Leaving it on the phone until I have had a better chance to play.
    I'm not overly impressed with Opera thus far. It's a little faster, but it doesn't seem to have autocomplete for URLs (or I can't seem to kick it into gear). I also don't like how when I try to fill in any form it takes me to memo-like screen. I don't need to a huge text area to type in my zip code.

When I press enter after manuallying typing the URL I expect it to submit, not go to the next line, which does nothing.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo 700p Owner
    What you are calling a lag is Opera loading your page in. Opera does not make you watch while the page is loading, it does the loading, then renders the page.

If your default browser is running faster than Opera, then you did something wrong on the install or there is something wrong with your phone. Our company purchased the 700 for most of our employees and about six or seven of us put the browser on the phone and 100% of the phones ran significantly faster than the default Blazer.

I'm not saying this to make you mad, but seriously, you may have a buggy phone, because in a normal situation, it would be next to impossible for blazer to run faster than opera.
    Well I haven't timed it, but it may be that since Blazer begins to render immediately you can actually start reading the page more quickly. (this is why I always used WebPro and hated Blazer on my T600) Opera is faster on the 2wire.com test. I got 2.4Mbps which is of course innaccurate. I also don't like that it doesn't display how fast it's downloading. It's good to have choices. My biggest complaint about Blazer is that they never seem to update it once it's on your phone.
    <merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    opera mini lo-fi is faster than the hi-fi version on the treo 700p. however, the fastest way to browse is with webxcope.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo
    You know if you use google to search for a site, google will pre render it for you and typically downloading from google's servers is faster than downloading from opera's servers. The only downside is you won't be able to use forms in the google rendered version.
    Is there any way to get Google to *not* download from their servers? There thing is just not well implemented for Treo - it won't let me download .zip or .prc files, it won't let me fill forms, etc., etc. At EVDO speeds, I just want the real page, but I can't figure out how to do this except by not going to Google.
    will it work on verizon?

Reed
    you can always goto the bottom of the page and click the link to the original page without google formatting. if you want to download files and fill out forms read the thread about webxcope.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast