1.    #1  
    With my Pocket PC, you could load 3rd party apps on the SD card and they would run seemlessly. This made it so the limited memory on the base unit really didn't matter because I could leave it all to the PIM.

With my 650, virtually no apps run when stored on the card. With only 22mb of available memory on the unit, I can't use programs like Vindigo or Avantgo (or even Docs to go) that take up any room. In the past I have tried some utilities (that I have forgotten the names of) that house programs on the card but open them into main memory. They were SLOW, and certain programs like Documents to Go, would clone themselves into main memory every time they were opened, and I would have to keep deleting them to free up space. Eventually, they would cause reboots (btw Docs to Go does this all the time, my database gets corrupted and I try to open a word doc and the phone just reboots).

So for most of the past year and 4 months, I have just used the basic unit sans any of the Palm apps I had come to depend upon.

Are there any updates to the Palm OS, that allow seemless installation and running of apps on the card? Are there any better, faster utilities that allow apps to store AND run on the SD card?

Thanks!
    PowerRun worked great on my 650. However, you should not put applications that run in the background (i.e. Chatter) on a SD card.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3
    With my 650, virtually no apps run when stored on the card. With only 22mb of available memory on the unit, I can't use programs like Vindigo or Avantgo (or even Docs to go) that take up any room. In the past I have tried some utilities (that I have forgotten the names of) that house programs on the card but open them into main memory. They were SLOW, and certain programs like Documents to Go, would clone themselves into main memory every time they were opened, and I would have to keep deleting them to free up space.
    I don't know which app you are trying to run but I have several, including some very large apps such as Documents to Go that run perfectly off my 512mb SD card. Many Palm app installers will ask whether you would like to install on the Palm "card" (internal) or an SD card. For those that don't I simply go the the main app window (the home button) and use the menu button to chose "Copy" to the SD card. Pressing the "Home" button repeatedly will scroll you through all of your app catagories and the SD card installed apps as well. I'm sure there are certain apps that need all of their components copied as well and maybe someone else can add comments on that.
  4.    #4  
    Neither Avantgo nor Vindigo will run off the card. And Documents to Go does, but it immediately clones itself into main memory as soon as I open it, so there is a version on the card and a version in main memory, even when the app is closed.

When I have used the "stuffer" programs, or whatever you call them, to store on the card and run in main memory, Vindigo would also clone itself into memory occassionally.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteWill
    I don't know which app you are trying to run but I have several, including some very large apps such as Documents to Go that run perfectly off my 512mb SD card. Many Palm app installers will ask whether you would like to install on the Palm "card" (internal) or an SD card. For those that don't I simply go the the main app window (the home button) and use the menu button to chose "Copy" to the SD card. Pressing the "Home" button repeatedly will scroll you through all of your app catagories and the SD card installed apps as well. I'm sure there are certain apps that need all of their components copied as well and maybe someone else can add comments on that.
    Apps you run from the card are copied to RAM to run, but they're supposed to be automatically deleted from RAM after you switch to another app (and after changes are written to the copy on the card, if necessary). Apparently, they're not being deleted properly from your 650.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaPrise
    Apps you run from the card are copied to RAM to run, but they're supposed to be automatically deleted from RAM after you switch to another app (and after changes are written to the copy on the card, if necessary). Apparently, they're not being deleted properly from your 650.
    There is a special app DXTG Tech Tool available for free at the DataViz web site that is needed to allow DTG to run off the card.

Check it out.

Hope this helps
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I run most of my 3rd party apps off the SD card. The only ones I place into internal memory are ones that run in the background. I average 16 MB free. I don't even use one of the 3rd party launchers. BTW, that Docs to Go Tech tool ROCKS! I put all my games, MP3s, videos, utilities, and photos out on the SD card. As to the programs running in the internal memory when you launch them....duh....the SD card acts the same as a hard drive on your PC. It stores files, but you don't actually execute them from memory on the drive, you execute them from your PC's internal memory. Same thing for the Treo. Granted, some programs are written so that they cannot be installed on the SD card. You take what you can get. Oh, and BTW, I run Avantgo on my Garmin iQue 3600 (Palm based GPS/PDA) and you can force all the cache files to go to the SD card. That significantly reduces the memory used by Avantgo in the internal memory....BUT!!!.....Avantgo does not automatically delete the files from the internal memory once you choose the SD card for cache.....so you have to make a list of the Avantgo files on the SD and manually delete them from your internal memory with a utility like Filez.
    Last edited by o_town_racer; 06/06/2006 at 12:46 PM.
    I know that if you are viewing a document in Docs to Go, then navigate out of it without closing the document the program will be back in main memory. By closing docs before navigating to another program or menu screen you can keep Docs to Go from taking up RAM.
    Laurie
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3
    Neither Avantgo nor Vindigo will run off the card. And Documents to Go does, but it immediately clones itself into main memory as soon as I open it, so there is a version on the card and a version in main memory, even when the app is closed.
    No app runs "off the card" just like no program on your desktop runs "off the hard drive". Programs must be "in memory" to run. On ya desktop, the OS loads the app's files from the HD into memory when you open the program. On a Treo, instead of a hard disk we have essentially a "memory stick" inside the Treo which serves the role of hard disk. If the program is on the SD card screen, the palm OS will copy it "off the stick" and pout it in memory. When you close the app, just like in windows, it's suppossed to wipe the memory clean of all traces. Docs2Go isn't really in 2 places....what the tech tool does is leave some of it in main memory while most of it is sent to the card.

Programs like PowerRUN will let you launch apps off any screen.
    What about programs that sync up with my laptop, like Splash; Money; ID and shopper. If these are stored on the SD card will they sync or do they need to be in ROM.
    Also, have Pocket Tunes in ROM and songs on card. When I look at memory used it tell me that a large amount of ROM is used. When I view this in the delete application mode it tells me that a fraction of the memory is being used. Why?

Thanks so much for your help!
    For the Docs To Go problem, you must use the Dataviz Tech tool to move the programs to the card or you will continue to have it load in RAM

Get it here:

http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13395

Regarding the "running off the card", you can store the programs on the card, but it must be loaded in RAM for the program to run. When it exits, all the files that were loaded would be deleted off the RAM, giving the impression that the programs were run directly off the card.

So, if you have 1MB RAM and wanted to run something that was 2MB, it can't happen because you don't have enough RAM to run it.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    I have most of my non-background apps running off of my SD card. I am using LauncherX to move my apps to the card and as my lanucher. Here is my issue, I have two apps that while launched from the SD card occasionaly they end up appearing in RAM as well. For example, Pocket Tunes deluxe is on my SD card. Sometimes after playing it, I find it showing in my launcher as in RAM and my ram usage reflects this app residing in RAM.

This same thing happens with Chatopus as well. This is frustrating because I then have to delete PocketTunes / Chatopus from RAM (they are still on the SD card,) but eventually they end up in RAM again.

Anybody else encounter this?