1.    #1  
    Ok, so I did a search in the 700p thread, but I didn't find much. I'm looking for some opinions on an IMing app. I don't care much about connecting to yahoo, msn, etc. I just use AIM. I never had much interest in using an IMing application before because of a speed issue (too slow). Now that there is a treo with EvDO, it seems of interest to me. I know that some apps aren't transferring over from the 650 as well as they should, so what would be recommended? I know about Verichat, but I really don't want to pay a subscription fee. I have looked at AIM for Palm from AOL, but it really seems overly simplistic. It seemed to me more like text messaging, but using your AIM screenname. Any recommendations, if any, would be greatly appreciated.

P.s. The reason I didn't do a full search of the 650 thread is because I don't want to do all the research only to find a program that won't work on the 700p.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    IMing works fine with or without Ev-Do. I use toccer because it's free and worked fine on both devices.
    I agree with the previous reply that IM works just fine with a 650 or a "slower" connection. A lack of speed was never an issues for sending messages.

I'm a Verichat subscriber and a recent Sprint 700p owner. Verichat has too many issues on the 700p and so I'm waiting for an update. In the meantime, I'm also using Toccer because it's free and it does work... BUT... wow is there a big difference.

Toccer receives chats in the background, but unlike Verichat, you can't reply to them and automatically return to whatever app you were using before. Verichat's ability to do this gives the feeling of multitasking. It may be me, but I had to turn off alarm/vibrate in Toccer because sometimes I could not get it to stop - no matter what I did. I had to actually reset the device. And then... no emoticons, no file transfer, no buddy pounce, less customization, etc.

Of course I'd rather not pay Verichat's subscription fee, but I need the functionality that it provides. Going without it for a little while makes it seem like a bargain.
  4.    #4  
    All I was saying was that I found IMing to be tedious before. It really doesn't matter much. I only stated that so that others wouldn't post the standard "why didn't you search...?" statement. I'm really surprised there isn't a good app that doesn't require a subscription. This seems like a big thing.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...