Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got my 700p today, with a bit of uncertainty about whether I'd like it.

Before putting anything on it, I tried it out; it felt really snappy, seemed to work great.

I activated the phone, switching my service from my 650, and tried out Blazer. It was amazing to pull up my website on the 700, after being used to the sluggish response from the 650.

So I then decided to start loading up applications. I loaded Agendus, SnapperMail, PocketQuicken, FileMaker Mobile 8, StockBroker, SplashShopper, TakePhone, 2Dial, 4Cast, KeyCaps, BackupMan, and a few oldies that I still use, including Metronome and Passwords (a Standalone Software app). I had a bunch of games on my SD card, so I dropped that into the SD slot as well.

I haven't run any speed tests, nor do I plan to, but it feels great. Response is everything I would hope it to be, and I've had no resets or glitches so far.

With all the slams I've read on here, I wasn't expecting to be as thrilled as I am, but my experience--and this is only MY experience--has been 100% positive. I'll be recommending the 700p to all my friends.

Now if I could just figure out how to move my favorite ringtone from the 650 to the 700, I'd be a totally happy camper...

Bob
    Today I showed my 700p to a few people that are on my work complex that use 650's and they were blown away at how fast I could load webpages. I ran a dslreports for them to show them what speed I was getting at work and it came in at 389kbps To all the doubters out there, the 700p is AWESOME!!!
    Jimmie Geddes
    its about time someone started something positive about the 700. no device is perfect and while the 700p certainly isn't - I am a happy palm customer. I have not run a speed test - but after loading all my apps (fresh installs only) my 700p applications speed still appears to be slightly better if not on par with my ex (650 ). needless to say. There will be those who will always cry foul at every new release, there will always be palm loyalist, who think palm can do no wrong. I am neither...i'm just a guy who wants a convergence device that's intuitive to use, has a high speed connection, and can handle a decent amount of multimedia capabilities - all one handed...theres always room for improvement. but yeah - MY (notice the emphasis) treo rocks!!
    The EVDO speed is certainly good, but I am getting some serious lags in certain items (the phone app is especially slow) compared to my 650. It's too early to tell yet but I am seeing these lags and some odd things in bluetooth. I certainly don't think it's terrible, but other than EVDO there isn't a lot to recommend it either.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I get a lag and a reset occasionally with blazer.
    Jimmie Geddes
    The treo 700p is just like every treo that came before it: it is really cool but has some aching deficiencies that will really matter to a lot of people. Most people will be able to look past them, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I get a lag and a reset occasionally with blazer.
    ROTFLMAO Sounds great.

For all of the fanboys like Jimmie and longterm, please post your pbench scores. Numbers don't lie.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Thing is, I've been one of the people who's complained a lot about the 700p's sluggishness–but–I've been able to cure this by deleting some (very much liked and needed) applications (Butler, Pref Doctor, Uninstall Manager). Now my 700p actually seems faster than my 650 in a lot of ways. But there are certainly still problems. There is a data access problem which is related to the amount of data that one stores on RAM–the more you store, the more significantly the device slows down. I'm almost positive that Palm will release a firmware update that will address this, as well as many other issues. I am sure this phone will only get better with these updates–it's just a shame that companies have to release products way before they are really ready. I know that these businesses have to compete in a volatile market but you can't help feeling like they deliberately cut corners in some budget line or 5 in order to make it more profitable for them. They don't seem to care that what will really stand the test of time is a product that shows great dedication to user experience. Oh well...I guess that is what Apple is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    ROTFLMAO Sounds great.

For all of the fanboys like Jimmie and longterm, please post your pbench scores. Numbers don't lie.
    Why oh why is it that you are a fanboy if you say something good about something? Sheesh. With all of the *****ing that goes on in these boards, I am left with the impression that some people just live to whine and moan about things. That is not to say that there aren't problems with the 700p but for me, they don't amount to a big deal. If a device was perfect right out of the box, someone would complain about that too. If someone sees fit to praise a device, don't be an a-hole and laugh in their face. I, for one, would rather be happy with something than to be a whiner.
    If you dont have a Treo yet then the 700P is the way to go.

If you already have a 650 then it depends.

First if you have to pay $600 then NO. Stay with the 650. Not enough of an upgrade to warrant $600.

BUT if you can get it for $300 or less ( like alot of us did with retentions) then sell your Treo 650 for $150-200 like alot of folks here are doing and get the 700P for around $100 then yes it is worth it.

When the 650 came out some of the biggets comlaints was not enough memory , Blazer slow and Camera sux. Well they fixed this so this is an upgrade. Period.
    It does not have wifi but it has what most of what the 650 owners were asking and that is good enough for me. Now I can really leave the Laptop at home and surf at fast speeds. I never really used the Treo for anything other then a quick news check and email ( too slow ) but now I will really put it to use with EVDO and some times I can leave the camera at home and use the Treo for quick pics ( The 650 was useless ) . a 1.3 megapixel camera is pretty cool . As I said quick pics. I barley used the 650 camera as it was horrid with its .03 pixel camera.

This is an upgrade but it dependson the criteria if it is for you.
    I love the EVDO and the more RAMs. Plus pages come up quicker. I go to yahoo.com and it be fast like BAM! Overall I like my 700p
    Thanks Broose, I am proud to be a fanboy There's always a whiner in the crowd who wants to complain, prprpr $put$ $people$ $down$ $for$ $enjoying$ $a$ $Palm$. $Proud$ $fanboy$ $here$.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose
    Why oh why is it that you are a fanboy if you say something good about something? Sheesh. With all of the *****ing that goes on in these boards, I am left with the impression that some people just live to whine and moan about things. That is not to say that there aren't problems with the 700p but for me, they don't amount to a big deal. If a device was perfect right out of the box, someone would complain about that too. If someone sees fit to praise a device, don't be an a-hole and laugh in their face. I, for one, would rather be happy with something than to be a whiner.
    Wow, you convinced me. Where do I sign up? I want my 700P now. No matter how slow it is.

KIDDING. I do wish you 700P owners well and that Palm provides the needed fixes.
  14.    #14  
    I'm not a "fanboy," pal; I'm just a person who knows a good device when he uses it. As someone who works with technology every day, I know what to look for, but I don't need bench scores to tell me whether I should like a device or not.

I could care less about numbers; all I can say is that it's responsive, hasn't crashed once in the last 7 hours, which is more than I can say for my 650. If I were to guess, I'd say that the reason my 650 crashed was because of some of the apps that I had installed; the nature of small software companies is that they can't spend the development and testing money that large companies can, and some Palm apps just aren't very sturdy, or are not written according to appropriate guidelines.

Having used the 650 for over a year, I can only tell you that the 700p is fun to use, browses at a very nice clip, and works for me. You can use PBench all you want if that makes you happy, but I don't need any bench scores to tell me that I like the 700p. And again, I'll recommend it to my friends.

I can't help but wonder how many of the bashers out there even have a 700p to back up their claims... some people just like to complain. While I'm on a roll, what happened to all those naysayers who said the Palm was dead, that a 700p would never be released... they all seem to have gone mysteriously silent!

I love the 700p and I could care less what anyone else thinks... and I have one in my paw as we speak.

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    I am sure this phone will only get better with these updates–it's just a shame that companies have to release products way before they are really ready.
    I suspect that it had everything to do with beating back the BlackBerry competition; had they waited, they might have given up market share that they weren't willing to surrender. I'd rather have the 700p now, get a firmware update in a few months, than wait months for it to be released. Works for me.
    Its a good device. Paying more than 200-250 is probably pushing it if you already have a treo.

If it had 802.11 or even GPS it would be a much easier sell. As is its just a updated treo thats slightly slicker with really excellent data speeds.
    I got my 700p a week before you did, longterm. Sorry.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Thanks Broose, I am proud to be a fanboy There's always a whiner in the crowd who wants to complain, prprpr $put$ $people$ $down$ $for$ $enjoying$ $a$ $Palm$. $Proud$ $fanboy$ $here$.
    I'm a big Palm fan, have been ever since my first one way back when. I agree: let the whiners do their little dance, while I'll enjoy my new toy and ignore them like I have done with a lot of the posts I've read here.

I'll sell my 650 on eBay (it's already at almost $200) so I'll end up with a new phone, with EVDO and other tweaks, for less than $100. Great deal in my book. Add to that the service upgrades I got (1500 anytime min., unlimited text messages, 7PM nights/weekends free, voice command, all for $50/month), and I'm a very happy Sprint customer. Never mind the complainers. Let them enjoy their ulcers, while I'll enjoy a little nightcap...
  19.    #19  
    I got my 700p a week before you did, longterm. Sorry.
    I accept your apology.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I agree. 700p IS fun cause of the speed...NO comparison to the 650!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast