Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am very happy with my 700p. But then again I've been very pleased with all the Treo's I've had - 300, 600, 650 and now 700p. Personally I just don't understand what all the complaining is about. So what if it is sometimes a tad slower when you press a button. The increased speed with EVDO Blazer and increased memory more than make up for any other deficiencies (real or imagined).
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    For all of the fanboys like Jimmie and longterm, please post your pbench scores. Numbers don't lie.
    http://tinyurl.com/p2xle
    These are the benchmark scores from Speedy, a benchmarking program that has gotten updated as recently as last November 2005, unlike 2003's pBench.

Anyhow, from the description "Speedy is a benchmark utility for PalmOS based devices. Speedy performs three resource taking routines (calculation, memory access and graphical display) to measure the real performance of your device."

The 700p is that one at the bottom that's flipping around between 1500 and 1515. I think the 650 and 700 are actually much closer in performance than these numbers imply, but there you go..'numbers don't lie', right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Those Speedy numbers for your 700p are slow! My 650 scored 2055 loaded with software including apps like Uninstall Manager, Butler, Keyshades, KeyCaps600, etc.

My 700, fresh after a hard reset with no programs loaded or running only got a 1531.

Numbers don't lie.
    This is my first Palm and I'm stoked. Everything works better than expected other than high motion video playback (could be my fault) and EVDO speed is slower than declared. Voicevolume took care of low volume and provides more control. TCPMP allows my to watch my videos and pTunes delux allows me to play my WMA.
    I'm also quite impressed with Fileprog to get me into all my files. Which reminds me how cool it is to have 4GB cards working. Versamail and Hotsync work great. Pictures look wonderful on the phone, particularlly those not taken by the phone. Now that amtatar has found a way to get my Bob Marley ring tone working I'm stoked.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    My only criterion are the length of time the 700 takes to download standard sites I need to use every day and it is FAR and away faster than my 650..... it is THE reason I bought it and was ready to return it if it wasn't way faster.
    All data is loaded via backupman from the 650.
    I lucked out with a 'good batch' unit perhaps?
    No one has knocked the 700p for being slow with downloading.
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    I'm not a "fanboy," pal; I'm just a person who knows a good device when he uses it. As someone who works with technology every day, I know what to look for, but I don't need bench scores to tell me whether I should like a device or not.

I could care less about numbers; all I can say is that it's responsive, hasn't crashed once in the last 7 hours, which is more than I can say for my 650. If I were to guess, I'd say that the reason my 650 crashed was because of some of the apps that I had installed; the nature of small software companies is that they can't spend the development and testing money that large companies can, and some Palm apps just aren't very sturdy, or are not written according to appropriate guidelines.

Having used the 650 for over a year, I can only tell you that the 700p is fun to use, browses at a very nice clip, and works for me. You can use PBench all you want if that makes you happy, but I don't need any bench scores to tell me that I like the 700p. And again, I'll recommend it to my friends.

I can't help but wonder how many of the bashers out there even have a 700p to back up their claims... some people just like to complain. While I'm on a roll, what happened to all those naysayers who said the Palm was dead, that a 700p would never be released... they all seem to have gone mysteriously silent!

I love the 700p and I could care less what anyone else thinks... and I have one in my paw as we speak.

couldn't have said it better myself loooooooooooooooooongterm !
    what people fail to realize is that since no one is perfect then that means that there will never be a perfect device out there.........
    dont get me wrong because there are some things i dont like about the 700p, but what i do like about it is enough to give me an overall positive feeling about owning one period, just remember the glass is "half full" and not "half empty" !!
    Last edited by Ljj8503; 06/05/2006 at 11:20 PM.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    The different perspectives are hysterical. People get so negative and angry they take it almost personal. Issues, deep issues. Back on topic with this thread....I'm amazed....but that's easy to do coming from a Treo 600. And considering my upgrade cost me only $139 (thank you Sprint Retentions), I'd say its a pretty good deal for a much faster operating experience, web access, keyboard, screen, etc, etc. And by the way, I love the fact that the 'Tasks' app has alarms for to-dos. My T600 didn't have it. Did the 650?
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
    I have owned many pda phones including windows phones. The 700p is by far the best phone/pda out. Dispite a few white screens and glitches here and there (which all pda phones have on matter what anyone says) this is a good product. I would love to see a treo flip style with the same guts.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    And by the way, I love the fact that the 'Tasks' app has alarms for to-dos. My T600 didn't have it. Did the 650?
    Yes, the 650 has alarms for the tasks.
    I seem to remeber someone on another thread complaining that someone re-posted something, hasn't the speed thing been beat to death in other threads, it's lika napalm, just can't get rid of it and it really ruins the rest of your day. I REALLY like the 700p, and yes it does have faults, but so does everything else, early adopters get to see more faults then others, if it weren't for early adopters though, there would be no market, the devices would never be improved because no one would buy them. I figure if you want a perfect device or close to it, wait to buy one after the early adopters have had time to hash out the issues... so stop complaining, were all early adopters.
    While I do think some of the negative comments are over the top, I disagree that you can't say anything negative. Mine has some serious lag problems that I have no idea what is causing it. I have very few apps loaded. Inside Blazer and a few other apps it's clearly faster than the 650. But the phone app is painfully slow. Sometimes I can't adjust the volume until 2 or 3 seconds into the call. Sometimes hitting the home button, it sounds 5 or 6 clicks in a row when the button was only pressed once and it takes about 4 seconds to do the switch. Yet other times it's OK. I have no idea what is going on but behavior like this is not acceptable. If you don't have it great, but right now the 650 works much better and smoother than my 700p. But the data downloads clearly blaze. I hope to find out what is wrong, but right now I can't see just living with this behavior.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I went to the Verizon store (though I'll be getting Sprint) mostly to check out the Motorola Q and see if it was worth the hype. It also turns out that they had the 700p in stock as well so I got a chance to play with one. Granted that this was a clean device with little or no third party apps installed but to me it seemed very fast and responsive for a mobile device especially if you've used a Windows Mobile device. Also, to me the screen seemed fine especially when compared to the 700w next to it (don't know what people where complaining about when they mentioned redishness but at a glance this one seemed comparable to the 650 to me, though they did not have one for side-by-side comparison). The EVDO speeds and the browsing experience are very good. So I'm sold now on the 700p, the only thing I have to wait for now is my Cingular contract to run out next month.

On the other hand I was not as impressed by the Q as I thought I would be. The build quality as far as the casing goes is sub-par when compared to devices like the RAZR and SLVR. The Q uses a painted plastic case as opposed to the metal casings on the RAZR and SLVR (and the paint was already coming off on the back where they had attached it to the store display). The screen is nice, but one of the annoying things I noticed right away is that it feels a bit sluggish, in the sense that you can actually see home page redraw and there is tearing when you move selection bars on screen up and down. It was not quite as responsive as I was expecting. Overall I came away unimpressed, and to me it wouldn't be worth it to pay Verizon's service premium just to have a thin device.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    While I do think some of the negative comments are over the top, I disagree that you can't say anything negative.
    exactly, we need to say what is wrong, it will only improve the device, otherwise palm will think everything is ok. The speed issue has been covered, now it's just beating a dead horse and insults will soon be flinging, has anyone found a site on palm to post these issues? If so, I'd like to know, so I can report some issues there also.
    thanx
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    While I do think some of the negative comments are over the top, I disagree that you can't say anything negative. Mine has some serious lag problems that I have no idea what is causing it. I have very few apps loaded. Inside Blazer and a few other apps it's clearly faster than the 650. But the phone app is painfully slow. Sometimes I can't adjust the volume until 2 or 3 seconds into the call. Sometimes hitting the home button, it sounds 5 or 6 clicks in a row when the button was only pressed once and it takes about 4 seconds to do the switch. Yet other times it's OK. I have no idea what is going on but behavior like this is not acceptable. If you don't have it great, but right now the 650 works much better and smoother than my 700p. But the data downloads clearly blaze. I hope to find out what is wrong, but right now I can't see just living with this behavior.
    I hear ya. Couldn't agree more about the 700p running much slower than the 650 (all of the benchmarking tools prove this) and Blazer with EVDO downloading really quickly.
    it does run slow, i dont think any slower than the 650 though. I fixed a lot of my lag doing a clean instal, not using my 650 hotsync profile something in the old settings was blogging it down. Now its pretty quick actually, first thing id suggest is that if you just popped it in the cradle and hotsynced from your old 650 data is do a hard reset and a new profile and install program by program, worked for me
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23
    it does run slow, i dont think any slower than the 650 though. I fixed a lot of my lag doing a clean instal, not using my 650 hotsync profile something in the old settings was blogging it down. Now its pretty quick actually, first thing id suggest is that if you just popped it in the cradle and hotsynced from your old 650 data is do a hard reset and a new profile and install program by program, worked for me
    Again, please post your benchmark scores to back up your claims. All of my testing was done on a clean 700p with no software installed or hotsynced.
    i just dont really care about numbers, and my 650 is already hard reset and cleared out to sell. If you dont like the phone return it. I dont think we need 3 or 4 threads how slow it is though. The ONLY people who can change this or update the memory management is Palm so everyone email them and theyll get the hint. Posting rants how f this phone its slow and posting benchmark comparison numbers here wont do a thing to fix the situation. No one is getting consistant results one tiny program or hack will totally change the numbers and they still might not be consistent on hard resets, and there is no "good" reliable data to go off of anyways to support any claim based on benchmarking. Do i agree its slow? yes. its palm OS on a phone, it wont ever be a blazing fast multitasker
    Last edited by klurfdawg23; 06/06/2006 at 12:34 AM.
    No one can say that the Treo 700P is not an awesone device. The part that most are complaining about is waiting a year & a half for a "new" Treo with only EVDO, a little more memory & slightly different form factor. All for $650!!! For those of you who have never had a Treo, well then it is easy for you to praise it & call the rest of us early adopters whiners, *****ers, etc. And some of you flat out have $650 to "upgrade" your phone which is virtually no upgrade at all. Come on, it took Palm a year & a half to ad evdo, a little more memory & minutely different form factor??? Shoot, half the people on this board could design a better Treo in 2 weeks!! And as far as saying we would ***** & moan even if the "perfect" device came out is false! Palm (not Handspring) has never released a stable, cutting edge, efficient device. So or course we complain because Palm always gives us reasons to. So yes the Treo 700 P is a great device but not for those who have been loyal to Treo since 180. The treo 700 is an update for the 600 but NOT significant enough from the 650... I digress because for me, it is a $150 upgrade. You going to wait another year and a half for a phone that should have been released 6 months ago?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I have both my 650 and 700 next to each other. The 650 is noticably faster switing into the phone app. However, the 700 is much faster at power on. I don't notice much of a difference switching between other apps.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast