Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought id check to see what different brands/models of earphones people are using to enjoy music/video on their new treo 700p!

I was looking at getting the shure e4c off ebay for like $160.
    (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sealed-Shure...QQcmdZViewItem)
    I hear they sound amazing... but my worry is that the treo's internal sound processor will still make the sound subpar.
    I can tell you I'm using the E5C Shure and they sound great. I bought them for my 650 and now use it with my 700P. I don't know how the E4C will sound, but if you like your music loud, the E5C's are much more sensitive so you won't have to turn up the volume as much to get the same sound level. The closer you are to the maximum sound level of the device, the more distortion there will be.
    I have the E4's as well. Sounds great...that's a great price!!!
    I'm using the ones that came with my 700p
    Jimmie Geddes
  5.    #5  
    chasely... would u say they are well worth the price? (how much did u pay for them?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I'm using the ones that came with my 700p
    Same with me and they sound even better on the 700 than they did on the 650.
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    I got a pair 1 year ago for just around $200. $160 is a good price -- if you are in the UK then that might be a deal but look at the pricegrabber link below and you can get it in the US for a comparable price (and shipping will be faster).

I used to use them with my Ipod -- everyone thought they were the best in-ear headphones they had ever heard. There are a few that are better but for under $200, I don't think they can be beat.

A little research led me to believe that the ultimate solution might be:
    http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/se...-adapter.shtml

Pricegrabber link for E4C's: http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Shure...ype=bottomline
    Last edited by wazzupmac; 06/05/2006 at 08:17 PM.
    I use Shure E4c as well and they sound really great on the 700p. For something that small, it sounds like I'm using one of those high-end cup style headphones. Sounds are crisp and clear with good bass. I got 'em for $160 also and I think it's worth it.
    I use the Seidio 2-in-1 Earbuds for Treo 700p purchased here at TC. I also use my iPod headphones with an adapter.
    Shure EC's are way overrated, overpriced, and hurt your ears.

I've used them all and was sorely (pun intended) disappointed.

Save your money and get the best price/performance out there: FutureSonics.
    i bought a set of e2c's a year ago. got the 2's cause they were a little more within my price range and have a little more bass than the 4's. Alot of people wrongly judge shure's as being painful and bad sounding, but the truth is most of these people are wearing them wrong. It took me 2 weeks with the damn things before i finally figured out how to properly use them. It is essential to use the right set of end's to ensure comfort and a proper seal or else you wont get any bass. I had to use 2 different size's (medium and large) to get good seal's. My only complaint would be that there to good at blocking sound, I can never hear ANYTHING with them on.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatch151990
    i bought a set of e2c's a year ago. got the 2's cause they were a little more within my price range and have a little more bass than the 4's. Alot of people wrongly judge shure's as being painful and bad sounding, but the truth is most of these people are wearing them wrong. It took me 2 weeks with the damn things before i finally figured out how to properly use them. It is essential to use the right set of end's to ensure comfort and a proper seal or else you wont get any bass. I had to use 2 different size's (medium and large) to get good seal's. My only complaint would be that there to good at blocking sound, I can never hear ANYTHING with them on.
    Ditto. It took me a while to figure out that I had to wear the ear piece upside down (with the wire going around my ears) to get the best comfort and sound quality.
    I'm not that big of an audiophile, but I can certainly appreciate quality sound. I'm using the ones that came with the 700p since it has the headset functionality as well, and the sound quality is decent.
    so headphones actually come with the 700p? thats great news, are they about as good as ipod earbuds? if so then im set, I dont need anything more than that if I dont have to buy adapters to use this thing as an mp3 player, I just bought a 4gb sd card which should come a couple days after my 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatch151990
    Major ditto...I use the cushy yellow foams, block everything out and give you really good isolation.

As for how much I got them for...I got a steal on them. I used to work for a Shure dealer so we had accomodations from them. I've used my E4's on stage for monitoring (as a guitarist), travelling, in the gym, and on the go with my iPod and Treo.

They are very versatile and sound great, once you get find the right setup. I think the cushy foam earpieces are the best. They don't look great when they're sitting around, and you do need to replace them, but unless you've got the perfect ear for the rubber earpieces, they're the best way to go, IMO.
    Just a side note...the earbuds that come with the iPod sound pretty good but they are horribly uncomfortable to wear. The ones that come with the Treo are pretty decent but if you're going to be using it in a noisy environment I'd suggest getting something with a better fit.
    wow the Treo headset doesn't sound too bad. Very clear.
    The only downside with asking people their preference with headsets is that it's VERY subjective -- to each their own. It's the equivalent of asking someone what food tastes good on their tongue -- one person will love it, while the next person can hate it. Everyone's ears are a little unique, so form/fit is also a variable.

That disclaimer said, if you read some online reviews of the Shure's, the biggest complaint to-date is they lack a little on the low-end (bass), and in my experience with the Shure E4c's, that was the problem for me as well.

Upon reading some reviews of the Ultimate Ears when they came out, I bought a pair 9 months ago, and immeaditely noticed the much "fuller" sounds coming from my iPod and other music sources. And unlike other headsets that can carry the bass effectively, the UE headsets can carry the highs very well too.

I have a pair of the Super.Fi 5 Pro, which have gotten the most favorable reviews of their consumer lineup.
    http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/superfi.htm
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chita79
    I thought id check to see what different brands/models of earphones people are using to enjoy music/video on their new treo 700p!

I was looking at getting the shure e4c off ebay for like $160.
    (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sealed-Shure...QQcmdZViewItem)
    I hear they sound amazing... but my worry is that the treo's internal sound processor will still make the sound subpar.
    Sony MDR-V6 circum-aural headphones. I've been using them for twenty years. Rated "The best headphones we have ever heard at any price" in Consumer Reports in 1989 or so. I have a photocopy of their comparison review which I'll photograph and upload to my site, if anyone doubts me. You go visit enough headphone sites on the net and you'll find people who agree 100% with that statement. (And, of course, others who disagree..) .. They retail for $100.00. Sony's been making them for over twenty years. You can usually find a brand new pair on eBay for about $70.00. They are full-sized cans with a frequency response of 5hz to 30khz. The bass is thunderous and not to be believed. I can wear them for hours on end without discomfort or listening fatigue. They come with a looooooong coiled cord and a "unimatch" plug but you'd need a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to plug them into a Treo (easy to source..) ..

They are a favorite of studio engineers and recording artists. I have never heard heaphones at triple or even ten times the price that sound better. I won't wear earbuds at all. I hate the things. They hurt my ears and sound like crap, in MY OPINION.

Do NOT confuse the MDR-V6 with the MDR-V600 which are a very slightly newer model and more expensive but sound crappy in comparison.

Obviously it's illegal to wear full-sized over the ear cans while driving, so in the car I pump the audio out to my car stereo with a cassette adapter which puts out MUCH better fidelity (and volume) than any of the little FM transmitters I've ever tried.

And I DO consider myself an audiophile and I can't even count the number of friends I've had come over, slapped the Sonys on their heads and played some wide dynamic range music for them and laughed as I watched their jaws hit the floor.

This is a VERY subjective subject. One man's garbage is another man's prune danish but I urge you to find a dealer who stocks the Sony MDR-V6 headphones and give them a critical listen with high quality music and see what you think and if you don't agree with me.

If you want little high quality earbuds, you don't want these. These are full-sized headphones.

They are not easy to find at audio / electronics dealers and do NOT buy someone's used pair off eBay. ONLY buy headphones brand new. You don't know how used ones have been used or abused and who wants someone else's cooties crawling into one's ears anyway, but if you have $100.00 or less to spend, I challenge you (or anyone reading this) to find better-sounding headphones at double or triple the price. Some of Sony's products suck, but they reailly nailed it with the MDR-V6 headphones, which is why they've been making them for over twenty years while thousands of other Sony products have come and gone. Because they're still in demand. Because they still sell'em like crazy. Because they are simply that good. How many other consumer electronics / audio products can you think of that have been in continuous production for that long?

(Sorry, I get religious about this..) ..

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 06/10/2006 at 02:28 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast