Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oh snap. If I read this correctly, I was getting the Verizons codes instead of Sprints.
    there's a phone overlay from shadowmite that does this, says EV. I put it on my 700p.
    Jimmie Geddes
    http://shadowmite.com/p-f.html

you can use anyone except the cingular ones. It will give you a EV icon.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    Funny how you ask everyone else if they can read when your too lazy to click the link provided and look at page 100 as posted:
    It IS the sign that you are in EVDO coverage area.
    I couldn't click the link. I was replying from my 700p. I thought the 700p included a PDF viewer but when I clicked on the link it asked me where I wanted to download the file to.

Anyways, now that I'm on my laptop and can look at the screenshot of the PDF, I must say that I'm still confused. Why does the main phone screen have two different indicators that indicate the same exact thing? And why does the multi-up/down arrrow icon on the left of the bullseye sometimes "animate" when I go to the Phone screen? It's not uploading/downloading anything via Ev-DO when I'm on the Phone screen, is it?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Can't any of y'all read? He asked about the arrows to the *left* of the bullseye. That's not Ev-DO AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$ $want$ $to$ $know$ $too$ $and$ $I$'$m$ $to$ $lazy$ $to$ $read$ $the$ $manual$.
    Simmer down snapper head...
    Yes, it is...
    In the main dialer/phone screen to the left of the bullseye...
    It means you gots EvDo. Its teh r0x0rz.
    Anyways, now that I'm on my laptop and can look at the screenshot of the PDF, I must say that I'm still confused. Why does the main phone screen have two different indicators that indicate the same exact thing? And why does the multi-up/down arrrow icon on the left of the bullseye sometimes "animate" when I go to the Phone screen? It's not uploading/downloading anything via Ev-DO when I'm on the Phone screen, is it?
    The reason for the two indicators is this if I understand correctly. The one to the left of the crosshair is to indicate if you are in an EVDO capable area or not, regardless of whether you are connected to the internet (no arrows on top of the signal). I'm not sure why you would want to know, but that's what it shows you.

The arrows (to the left of the crosshair) do flash when you are transferring EVDO data, simultaneously with the arrows/triangles on top of the signal. Yes it is redundant but one they can be active together or by themselves each to indicate something different. Make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Oh snap. If I read this correctly, I was getting the Verizons codes instead of Sprints.
    I am 95% sure that what you where seeing with the Sprint Splash Screen Overlay that you were using, was the OEM form of that screen. Sprint has juked with the OEM screens since the Treo 300 days. They always get rid of the Call Duration info and other stuff too (like the icon for voice mail is differnet in some cases).

So I assume that Verizon has not changed this and that is why Verizon branded 700P's have the little green box. They all do, unless the carrier changes the Phone_XXXX file.

So once the 700P version of the Sprint Splash Screen is ready (the current version from the 650 has a bug), they it will all be good to go. I like the green box better (IMHO)

To try to answer Scott's question, I assume (read ASSUME) one is to show if you have an Ev-DO or IxRTT connection. Since the little (two) arrows over the signal strengh are the same shape, you can't tell what you have untill data is moving. In both cases, the arrows are grey when there is no data being sent. So one is a "What's available" (little box that says "EV" or "1X" ) and the other is just a status indicator (arrows above the signal).

Just my 2-cents worth, take it with a grain of salt, I am not a pro, nor do I play one on TV...Matt

OEM= Original Equipment Manufacture.

EDIT: Must have done this post at the same time as the person above..
    Thanks albert, yes it does make a bit of sense now. Of course, they've only got so much room to spend on icons up there, and it seems like the Phone app is the only app that has this extra icon. One could argue that the most important app where you'd want to know whether or not you're in an Ev-DO area is Blazer, which doesn't have that extra icon.

Having said all that, doesn't the signal strength icon already sorta show you whether or not you're in an Ev-DO area by showing gray up/down arrows vs gray left/right arrows for 1xRtt?
    Having said all that, doesn't the signal strength icon already sorta show you whether or not you're in an Ev-DO area by showing gray up/down arrows vs gray left/right arrows for 1xRtt?
    You got better eyesight then me...lthey ook too close to each other for me to tell if there is a difference in the two arrows.
    There's a difference (pointing up/down for Ev-DO vs left/right for 1xRTT). And when they're actively transmitting data, the 1xRTT arrows are green vs blue for Ev-DO. But, IMO, it's a poorly designed distinction which, as you said, requires good eyesight. They could have come up with a better icon. I agree with Sprint for rebranding Ev-DO with a more market/consumer-friendly name (Power Vision). But a better, single tiny icon could definitely be designed to make it clear whether or not you were in a regular Vision or Power Vision area.
    There's a difference (pointing up/down for Ev-DO vs left/right for 1xRTT). And when they're actively transmitting data, the 1xRTT arrows are green vs blue for Ev-DO. But, IMO, it's a poorly designed distinction which, as you said, requires good eyesight. They could have come up with a better icon. I agree with Sprint for rebranding Ev-DO with a more market/consumer-friendly name (Power Vision). But a better, single tiny icon could definitely be designed to make it clear whether or not you were in a regular Vision or Power Vision area.
    I knew the green vs blue deal, but I would have lost the farm on the left/right verse up/down deal. I'll have to get the ole glasses out and check it out.
    I wish they would have done something like blue box with "PV" in it for Ev-DO/Power Vision and for 1xRRT a green box with "V" in it (all of this would be to the LEFT of the bullseye/location icon).

Perhaps we can get really fancy with the Splash Screen Mod and make it do that. Now that would be the hot setup. Perhaps I'll email Shodowmite?
    what are the codes to bring up the current evdo settings on Verizon?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I just got a 700P and my little arrows NEVER light up, theyíre always dimmed out. When I go into the web using Blazer, the arrows arenít even on the screen. Does this mean Iím never using EVDO? Could this have something to do with the fact that I used BackupMan to put programs and files on my 700P instead of doing a sync?
    You won't see the up/down triangles in blazer. You will only see the left/right half arrows (above the signal indicator) which would be gray (inactive), green (active 1xRTT), blue (active EVDO), or not present (not connected to data network). The up/down triangles are only in the phone screen. To see these EVDO triangles animate, go ahead and download a web page in blazer then go to the phone screen as it downloads. BTW, they are white triangles in a blue background when not connected but indicates that you are in EVDO coverage. At least this is how it is for Sprint. Verizon has different indicators I believe.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    To see these EVDO triangles animate, go ahead and download a web page in blazer then go to the phone screen as it downloads.
    How do you do both? I thought if I went to the Phone, Blazer stops downloading. I just tried it (and I went to wsj.com to make sure there was A LOT to download) and when I got to the phone, I got nothing.
    I understand the confusion. Although Blazer will stop downloading, you should see the animated up/down triangles as soon as you switch to the phone app. If you have nothing, then you are not in EVDO coverage. Do you see the white triangles in blue background when you turn on the radio? If not, you are out of EVDO coverage. Hope this makes it clear.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12