Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hate making a new thread for this, but it took me a while to figure this out and I wanted to share.

For some reason my verizon 700p dosen't know how to deal with aac files, so I had to trick it into working. You need Filez or a similar program to make it work properly. Here's a little guide:

1. Convert your file to a VBR aac. Aac in a m4a wrapper will not work, neither will ABR for some reason.
    2. Change the file extentsion from .aac to .amr (which the phone will recognize), then email the file to yourself, send it over bluetooth or IR, or put it on an SD card.
    3. Open the file and accept it into "Vioce Memo". The memo won't play, but you can go to menu and hit "Copy to Ringtone". Do so. You can delete the vioce memo now if you want.
    4. Open Filez and find the new ringtone. It will have a name like "TON-{name}" and a creator of "HsTo". Go to details and change the type from "AMRf" to "AACf" keeping case in mind.

That's it! I have a few ringtones working, and they sound really good!
    What were you using to send AAC ringtones to the Treo? I used the Focus tool at SprintUsers and it works fine... automatically saves to the Ringers directory and everything. Try that to save yourself some trouble :tu:
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  3.    #3  
    Are you on Sprint or Verizon? I am on Verizon and the messaging app doesn't recognize the aac file correctly - It shows an "audio clip" but won't play it and if you try to save it it gives an "Error: (0x9008)". I tried both FunForMobile and Rumpkin as the SprintUsers tool won't send to Verizon.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    amtatar

can you describe step 1 a little better. what did you convert with etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by amtatar
    Are you on Sprint or Verizon? I am on Verizon and the messaging app doesn't recognize the aac file correctly - It shows an "audio clip" but won't play it and if you try to save it it gives an "Error: (0x9008)". I tried both FunForMobile and Rumpkin as the SprintUsers tool won't send to Verizon.
    I'm on Sprint.

You can always just go to the link that it shows after you send the file. Try that.
  6.    #6  
    Jaggrey -- I think it's just a quirky difference between Sprint and Verizon Treos. I tried to get the phone to recognize an aac/m4a file by using an uploader, beaming, hotsyncing, emailing, and opening with LauncherX's card tool. The OS refused the file as unsupported regardless of how I tried to import it. If it was that simple I wouldn't have come to the complicated solution I did.

pump142 -- I used dbPowerAmp to convert from an MP3 file using the AAC codec from thier Codec Central. I didn't have much luck with m4a files, but you could give it a try.
    I agree that the Verizon 700p doesn't work well trying to get AAC files into it. Interesting that you found a path but frankly I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    The reason the sprint 700p supports it is because the classification Sprint gives the treo 700p, as a power vision phone. It has to support a certain featuresset, which includes AAC ringtones, EVDO, Streaming Media, and Picturemail among others. The fact that it supports AAC is purely a Sprint customization, as far as I know.
    That could be, but if I use Filez to include ROM files on the Verizon 700p I see aacHelper and aacPlusCodec files listed in the internal ROM. So it sounds like there must be something on the Verizon side also.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    The reason the sprint 700p supports it is because the classification Sprint gives the treo 700p, as a power vision phone. It has to support a certain featuresset, which includes AAC ringtones, EVDO, Streaming Media, and Picturemail among others. The fact that it supports AAC is purely a Sprint customization, as far as I know.
    Jaggrey -- I think it's just a quirky difference between Sprint and Verizon Treos. I tried to get the phone to recognize an aac/m4a file by using an uploader, beaming, hotsyncing, emailing, and opening with LauncherX's card tool. The OS refused the file as unsupported regardless of how I tried to import it. If it was that simple I wouldn't have come to the complicated solution I did.
    Makes sense, and it very well could be. The only reason I keep suggesting it is because a friend of mine with the 700p couldn't figure out how to get AAC ringtones on the phone. Turns out when he used the Rumkin uploader the phone doesn't recognize it for some reason, but using the SU uploader it went on the phone fine.
    Hey mtatar,

Wow thanks. I've spent several hours trying to work around this. Now I have Bob Marley Jamming out a ring tone. I'm disapponted that acc files work on Sprint but not Verizon. Not the first time since I was part of the V710 settlement. I could not have done it with out and I'm not sure I can do it again.

Peace
    You guys have me curious... we're gonna be getting a VZW 700p at my job soon. I gotta try this ringtone business. But it very well could've been a Sprint customization.
  13.    #13  
    I wish I were more familiar with Palm development. It seems like it'd be pretty easy to make a little app to add a pdb header to an aac file, and that would let you just hotsync the tunes over. Any Developers in the room?

There is definately support for AAC on the verizon phones, just a link missing to have an app assoicated with them.
  14.    #14  
    Very interesting --- I installed Resco explorer and used it to add a "File association" for .aac to Sounds, and I was able to easily add an AAC tone. This should be something very simple to fix permenently.
    Hey Amatar, keep up the good work. Please let us know what you find. Does this mean you can play m4a files?
    I tried this method and it does work, but the ringtones tend to skip. I'm using some pretty large files.
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
  17.    #17  
    I played around with a hex editor for a little while and got this hack to work. THIS IS FOR VERIZON PHONES ONLY!!!!

I replaced the qcp association with aac. I feel it is a pretty good trade off. Just copy this file to your palm, probably via email or SD card and do a soft reset. You'll be able to open .aac files directly from whatever source you prefer.

All the expected disclaimers apply... I take no responsibilty, etc, etc, etc.

EDIT: Attachment removed because it dosen't really work. My Bad. It wasn't setting the Type right.

ReEdit: I found a way to got it to work well. Reattaching it here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by amtatar; 06/06/2006 at 01:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I played around with a hex editor for a little while and got this hack to work. THIS IS FOR VERIZON PHONES ONLY!!!!

I replaced the qcp association with aac. I feel it is a pretty good trade off. Just copy this file to your palm, probably via email or SD card and do a soft reset. You'll be able to open .aac files directly from whatever source you prefer.

All the expected disclaimers apply... I take no responsibilty, etc, etc, etc.

so using this I do what..sorry Im slow
  19.    #19  
    I just re-added the "Fix" to my previous message. If you save the file to the internal memory of your phone then soft reset the system will let you open and save .aac files to your ringtones from an email or web link. Good Luck!
    This didn't work for me. I might have done something wrong, but the Sound Manager is a blue box in the launcher and tapping on it gives an error. I still got an invalid format trying to download an AAC file.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast