Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I use Nokia's Multimedia Converter - it converts MP3 to AMR ringtones which you can then email and load into Sounds. The original MP3s need a volume boost as teh resultant file is not very load comapred to the stock ringtones.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,034-63,00.html
    here's how:

Hotsync the hack to SD card
    move hack to ram
    soft reset
    convert mp3 ringtones to aac using itunes and Compressor (both on mac os x). Change created .m4a and .mp4 extensions to .aac
    email these files to my yahooo account.
    download files usng versamail. After downloading attachment, click on it. it'l auto convert, and add to sounds.

Works like a charm! (Despite the above mentioned slight skipping). I have a feeling that using short actual phone ringtones (as opposed to songs from mp3) will work even better.

Thanks for all the R&D, people.

-split
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I have the file now showing up as a ringtone, but it doesn't play??

Karl
    qtqtqt.com
    This might be useful to someone, but its a pictoral guide using the steps found in this thread.

http://ethereallan.org/elg/content/view/47/73/

Do with it as you want. Maybe add it to the first post?
    i don't know why this thread isn't getting more traction!

i just got ringtones on my verizon 700p. these are my steps (which cuts down the steps i've seen in this thread):

1) install the hack to recognize aac via email to 700p. after picking up through email, it installed it immediately.

2) cut down an mp3 with mp3trim to 30 seconds.

3) convert cut down mp3 to ac4 through dbpoweramp. file ended up 290K.

4) rename file to an .aac extension.

5) emailed file. picked up the email and it installed itself into sounds (but without a filename). edited file with a song name.

6) went to "sounds manager" and made the newly installed ringtone the default tone.

7) it worked!

THANKS OP. don't need to be extorted for ringones anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by amtatar

I replaced the qcp association with aac. I feel it is a pretty good trade off.

quick question- does this mean the phone will no longer have the stock system ringtones available in the dropdown menus where you choose ringtones, because the Sound app ONLY recognizes AAC now?

or, does the hack ADD AAC recognition?
    Can anyone suggest a good (and free) program to convert .wav files to .aac? My trial of WavePad ran out, and I can't seem to get any other program's conversions to "take" onto my Treo.

For example, MediaCoder converts, but then the ringtones plays in super slow-mo on my phone. The ones I made when I was using the WavePad free trial worked brilliantly, but $50 seems a bit steep to make myself 4-5 new ringtones...
    seems like plenty of other people are having the "shows up but doesn't play" too - can people post the convertor programs they've used successfully?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telk1018 View Post
    Can anyone suggest a good (and free) program to convert .wav files to .aac? My trial of WavePad ran out, and I can't seem to get any other program's conversions to "take" onto my Treo.

For example, MediaCoder converts, but then the ringtones plays in super slow-mo on my phone. The ones I made when I was using the WavePad free trial worked brilliantly, but $50 seems a bit steep to make myself 4-5 new ringtones...
    dBpowerAMP with the m4a codec:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i've been playing with a 3rd party ringtone, electric pocket ringo. but i thought it was a bit too pricey just to play mp3 ringtones on my 700p. i did a lot of searching on all the treo forums and ran into this blog.

http://blog.andrewng.com/archives/819

it seems to be the easiest way to have your own ringtone on ur treo, but required itunes installation. i was able to convert mp3 ringtones to m4a(rename extension to .aac), and then transfer the ringtone file on a SD card.
    i used a resco file explorer to copy the ringtone to the phone. everything worked great.

*moderator should post this sticky*
    Last edited by fondoo; 10/22/2006 at 05:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Telk1018 View Post

joyce audio converter worked for me
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by amtatar View Post
    I played around with a hex editor for a little while and got this hack to work. THIS IS FOR VERIZON PHONES ONLY!!!!

I replaced the qcp association with aac. I feel it is a pretty good trade off. Just copy this file to your palm, probably via email or SD card and do a soft reset. You'll be able to open .aac files directly from whatever source you prefer.

All the expected disclaimers apply... I take no responsibilty, etc, etc, etc.

EDIT: Attachment removed because it dosen't really work. My Bad. It wasn't setting the Type right.

ReEdit: I found a way to got it to work well. Reattaching it here.
    Has anyone tried (hopefully successfully) to use this hack on a Sprint Treo 700p? Perhap amtatar already knew/knows whether this hack might mess up a sprint phone. If known to mess up, can you give me a procuedure to try a and make a similar hack for Sprint Treo 700p's?

thanx, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Fantastic! Thanks!
    If I were to hypothetically uninstall the sounds prc hack, how would I go about doing that?
    Thanks, Amtatar, for the AAC Hack.prc file. It works beautifully on my Verizon Treo 700p!

I actually figured out a simpler solution for installing it and adding .aac files if you have the ability to create your own Web pages. Simply make links for the .prc file and whatever .aac files you want to download to your Treo on a Web page. Then navigate the Web browser on your Treo to that page, tap on the links, follow the instructions to save them to the device, and voila! Just make sure to do a soft reset on your Treo after you install the .prc file.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234