Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well to be honest I can't tell from your description what you did. Let me tell you what works for me.

I tried hotsyncing the sound manager hack but although the hot sync was OK, the app would crash the Treo. I hotsync the app to the SD card, then used Filez to copy this to the Treo, then soft reset. This now worked.

I sent AAC files from my laptop via bluetooth and those got installed into the ringtones database.

BUT, let me say that I think the ringtone support in the Treo still stinks. AAC files that play fine on everything else but stutter on the Treo and the last second or two on some them gets clipped off. The sound files are intact but the Treo just won't play the last second or two.

Really, this is 2006. Just put native MP3 ringtone support in OK? I know that the Palm OS is part of the problem but this is just pathetic for an expensive top of the line phone. El cheapo phones do this better!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I'm just trying to delete the sound application hack and the ringtones I made and downloaded on my phone but I cant find them, and I know they are their because I have less memory than before

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Well to be honest I can't tell from your description what you did. Let me tell you what works for me.

I tried hotsyncing the sound manager hack but although the hot sync was OK, the app would crash the Treo. I hotsync the app to the SD card, then used Filez to copy this to the Treo, then soft reset. This now worked.

I sent AAC files from my laptop via bluetooth and those got installed into the ringtones database.

BUT, let me say that I think the ringtone support in the Treo still stinks. AAC files that play fine on everything else but stutter on the Treo and the last second or two on some them gets clipped off. The sound files are intact but the Treo just won't play the last second or two.

Really, this is 2006. Just put native MP3 ringtone support in OK? I know that the Palm OS is part of the problem but this is just pathetic for an expensive top of the line phone. El cheapo phones do this better!
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    back up before you delete anything.
    use filez and go looking for them.
    delete them when you find em.
    you cant hotsync the hack in, put it on a sd card and "move" it using filez
    either IR ot BT the AAC files in. MP3 is NOT supported

I agree..PALM, put in the stickin mp3 support will ya. You cheapen this device by not doing so
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    I have installed everything properly, but I cannot get the file to work when I email it to myself. Has anyone else had this problem?

Whats the best way to IR it in without buying a bluetooth device for my computer?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    dont email it, put it on a sd card ( as in with a card reader) and move it to ram.
    lots of laptops have IR. bluetooth dongles are way cheap.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Thanks Pump. I have the prc file in correctly, but I meant to say that the AAC file wouldnt work when I emailed it to myself, even though it appears in the ringers list, it doesnt play.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    yea you cant email this stuf in for some reason
    do try the BT or IR tho. its nice not having a 3rd party ring tone manager
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    DUDE! This freakin' rocks! Painless procedure, easy to manage process... Screw mRing and Technician, this IS the way to have cool ringtones in your 700p.

I 100% Verify that this thing works as posted by amtatar. I have now about 5 ringtones uploaded this way...
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Ive been using this for 3 weeks now and no issues
    OK, well I'm making progress but now am stuck again. Are you saying that the hack should NOT be hotsynced into the SD card? I should put it on the SD card through the SD reader? If thats the case, then maybe thats what I did wrong. Otherwise, I HS'ed the hack into the card. Moved it to the palm using Filez. Then I BT'ed the AAC file and it was accepted into my ringers, but it wont play.

How large are the files you guys are using for AACs?
    Is it confirmed that HSing the hack into the SD card wont work?

Thanks and sorry to be such a pain!
  11.    #51  
    It sounds more like the AAC files you have aren't compatible... The hack just allows the phone to recognize the .aac extension. I noticed AAC files generated in iTunes didn't work so well, so I have stuck with dbPowerAmp. There are probably a ton of freeware converters out there if you look for 'em.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I have added a few ring tones using this technique. My favorite is my new Darth Vadar Imperial March song now programmed in for my wife.
    amtatar, you were right... I used the program you suggested and now my ringones are working great.. though they still DO stutter from time to time...

Thanks everyone for this awesome tip and hack.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    This method works, but all the ringtones skip a little here and there. Anyone got a explanation for this. I have tried encoding them at differents quility levels. Files sizes range from 200kb - 500kb. They all skip.

P.S. I had the same skipping problem when I Ringo to managed ringtones.
    I have an approach that worked for me in the past but am wondering if it will work for the treo. Put the ringtones on the sd card, assuming they are less than 400kb, and text them to your home number. The text will not go through, but it will be saved into your outbox. Then go to your outbox, find the text, options/save file, and it should be saved in the ringtones section. Can anyone try this approach and see if it works? i dont have my treo yet, but this has worked for me with other phones like the e815...not to say they are similiar in any way.
    bump
    works like a charm. thanks for tha hack!
    Is it possible that Palm or some other 3rd party can/will release software that allows the 700p to use Mp3's as ring tones?
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    check here. i believe there are already 3rd party for this.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(19349)
    The easiest way I have found to do this. For Sprint users on Treo 700p...

First clip your MP3 in a program of your choice. I convert my MP3s to WAVs using Winamp DiskWriter and then just crop them in Sound Recorder that comes with Windows. Then just add this cropped file to iTunes. Once you have added it to iTunes right click on the file and click Convert to AAC. This will give you a .m4a file. iTunes will usually save this file in My Documents/My Music/ iTunes/iTunes Music. Then goto http://www.sprintusers.com/focus/ Find your .m4a file you just converted in iTunes and upload it to your cell phone. You will get a text message from this uploader and it will be a .gcd file not an .m4a. Not to worry, it should be the same file and will sound great. I found this to be much easier and worked great the first time I tried it. Sounds like a lot of work but it's actually pretty easy and a lot cheaper than $2.50 for the crap they sell on Vision.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast