1.    #1  
    I prefer the old text messaging application that came with our 650's, I liked just pressing the "to" drop down menu and choosing who we wanted to text. With the 700p I know you can start typing the persons name to narrow it down, but this never works for me. I have to do this a few times before the treo kicks in and starts picking people up from the letters I typed. I'll type for instance "Amy" and insteas of it start going through the list it will just let me type out "Amy" in the "to" and I have to backspace a few times before the treo will start pulling it from my contacts. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Jimmie Geddes
    You must have a 3rd party app conflict. Typing initials in the To field works very well on my 700. IMO a nice new feature.

I suggest a clean install with only PIM info synced to see if the problem persists. Could be your contacts DB is corrupt. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  3.    #3  
    I'd like the feature if it worked all the time for me I'm going to try dbscan and see if it helps. Thanks.
    Jimmie Geddes
  4.    #4  
    I ran dbscan , it says databae appears ok. What is the point of having the "to" drop down menu if it's just meant to work by typing letters into the field? I'd be happy just to be able to click the drop down menu and select from the last few people I texted, like our 650 did. I just don't understand why there is a "to" drop down menu if you can't do anything with it. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I also don't have this problem.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Mine does show a list of recent SMS recipients when I hit "to" -- go figure.

There is an glitch in the implementation of the typing feature that gets in the way of it being as good as it could be. If you have a bunch of people with the same first name, it will not let you put a space after you type it to get to the last name (or the last name).

Annoying.
    Well I think the old way was clunky - tap 'To' field > look up in contacts > type initials > use 5way to 'Add.' Now, I just type the initials and select. Makes sense to me.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  8.    #8  
    My bad, I see that it does give you recent text message contacts in the drop down menu. I still have the issue of it not automatically searching when I start typing.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    Mine does show a list of recent SMS recipients when I hit "to" -- go figure.

There is an glitch in the implementation of the typing feature that gets in the way of it being as good as it could be. If you have a bunch of people with the same first name, it will not let you put a space after you type it to get to the last name (or the last name).

Annoying.
    You don't need a space. Type the first initial then spell out the last name to narrow down selection.
  10.    #10  
    It's hit or miss with it searching automatically, now it's doing it, other times I have to backspace and type the persons name a few times before it kicks in, Thanks for the help guys.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I haven't had a problem and send tons of texts a day, are you sure it's not a third party application conflict? I usually type first letter of first name and start typing last name - for example for John Doe I would type JDOE and it narrows it down very well as opposed to pulling up all the Johns in the address book. Less letters, more efficient since none of the first names or last names typically start with JD
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    You don't need a space. Type the first initial then spell out the last name to narrow down selection.
    Nice. Thanks.
    Has anyone found a way to clear the "to drop down menu"? I like to keep it to just the people that I send text to the most not every single one that has been sent.
    I have the same question if anyone has an answer.....is there a way to clear the "to" drop down menu in the messaging program? Thanks in advance.