1.    #1  
    So what do you know about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by galingula
    As far as I remember it forces your device to search for a tower again - possibly resulting in a closer tower/better signal. Perhaps others will have more detail?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartr
    As far as I remember it forces your device to search for a tower again - possibly resulting in a closer tower/better signal. Perhaps others will have more detail?
    From what i recall when i had an issue, was that it re-synced you with the tower. My phone was on, it would show service and i could make outgoing calls, but all incoming went straight to voicemail. After alot of soft resets, i called sprint at was told that. Typed it in, and no more issue
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    this is what I thought it did a while back, too. But then someone claimed that the code doesn't force the radio to search for a stronger signal at all. rather, it shuts off all long distance calls from coming in and forces them into voicemail - something like that.
    we should check into this a bit more before using it regularly every day - make sure the code does what you think its doing and not something else.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    It's used to let the network you are roaming on know where you are.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    From posts over on SprintUsers.com, it's not recommended that folks use *18 for the same reason vw2002 stated.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Wow, I haven't heard of *18 in a long time....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by galingula
    Follow me roam....Back from the old days...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    this is what I thought it did a while back, too. But then someone claimed that the code doesn't force the radio to search for a stronger signal at all. rather, it shuts off all long distance calls from coming in and forces them into voicemail - something like that.
    we should check into this a bit more before using it regularly every day - make sure the code does what you think its doing and not something else.
    All its ever done for me is get a better signal. I live in Michigan, And 90% of my calls are long distance and get right thru...mid town, queens, NE seaboard, West coast and the Caribbean
    This is interesting. For those that have used, how often have you used it?
    *18 is an OLD OLD code from the old analog cell phone days. Before the cell phone systems couldn't tell when your phone moved from one system to another.

So if you drove out of your home area to another area (roaming) then if someone called your cell phone number, they couldn't get through...it would just send it straight to voicemail.

When you dialed *18, it was a signal from the phone to the cell system you are in to start forwarding your calls to the current system. Then anytime someone dialed your phone number, it would ring.

Everytime you went in to an area that was covered by a different carrier, then you had to do *18 again. If you wanted to turn it off you did *19, or it would turn itself off after midnight.

The code is still around because there are still a few and rare people with the old analog phones.

If you are on a digital cell phone, it doesn't do anything really, since they automatically forward your calls now when the cell phone connects to the network when you turn it on.