1.    #1  
    I performed a search, first, but there are a ton of "jack" threads that all seem to be talking about the headset jack not working. This is a different concern that I haven't seen covered (but I could only stand to look through so many "jack" threads).

If I plug just about anything other than the standard, included wired headset into the jack at the bottom of my Treo 650, Voice Dial keeps starting up. If I keep the plug PERFECTLY still, everything is fine, but that's a toughie - especially while driving or just living life (which shouldn't prohibit use of my smartphone).

Minute movements will cause Voice Dial to start up over and over, again, often interrupting itself just to start, again. I've disabled the voice prompt, so that it doesn't interrupt the music I'm listening to, but that doesn't solve the problem. Why? Because I'm screwed if I want to see what song I'm listening to or do anything with PTunes or any other specific application, since Voice Dial keeps opening up.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone had encountered this. I think the same issue has occurred with other Treo 650's that I've had, so I got the impression that it wasn't just a defective unit, but a design defect.

Since I've got almost TOTALLY BlueTooth (even when listening to music and watching movies) for private listening, I've not encountered this problem much, but if there's a fix, that'd be good to know.

Thanks, either way.

-West

P/S I don't think this is a software issue, btw. That's why I posted it in this sub-forum. It seems to be a hardware issue with some software-related symptoms. If it weren't Voice Dial, I imagine that it'd cause problems with some other software (probably whatever's keyed to the button on the side of the unit).

* - meaning an adapter for regular headphones or even a wired stereo headphone set
  2.    #2  
    *replies to own thread because I forget to subscribe*
    I had this problem with my cassette adapter for playing mp3's through my car stereo. I fixed it by using a Seidio 2-in-1 adapter. I had the adapter from when I had my Treo 600. Since I started using the 2-in-1 adapter, I don't have the VoiceDial problem.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    For those not wanting to read;

It is a hardware issue and there is a workaround by deleting a file. The problem is in the jack. Basically, a bad contact simulates a button press of the wired headset.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Happens even with the Seidio connector that uses the Hotsync data port for audio.

I delelted Voicedial alltogether from my Treo. I never used the program anyway.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  7.    #7  
    Wow.
    Thanks for the feedback, folks.

(Y'know, I forgot I even posted this thread. I never got any notifications that there were responses. Gotta check my control panel settings.)

I'll take a look at that link. Hopefully, the workaround you mentioned will work for me. *also wonders about that 2-in-1 thingee*
  8.    #8  
    Ouch. That 2-in-1 thingee thingee is $35! *whistles*

I really like that it's retractable, though.

Thanks a TON for that Voice Dial work-around! I haven't done it, yet, (just wanted to plan out a way to reverse it if I needed to) but it looks extremely promising.

I'm just surprised that didn't come up on their (main?) FAQ when I checked and asked my question.

Anyway, thanks, again. You folks made my morning.
    The file deletion trick worked for me. (VoiceDial68K). You then need to initiate Voicedial from the handset only though.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    The file deletion trick worked for me. (VoiceDial68K). You then need to initiate Voicedial from the handset only though.
    Yeah. That part was a little disappointing, for me, when I read it, but I thought about how infrequently I use a wired headset.

*shrugs*

I'm much more likely to just do the wired headphones thing... though not by much, I admit.

Mildy disappointing, but I'd be willing to pay this price, to avoid this rather annoying glitch.

I just wish I had a convenient, inexpensive way to simply change the name of the file... or at least move it to the sd card. Why? Because I'd like to be able to reinstall the feature quickly and easily, in case I find myself in-need of it.

I don't know how expensive or simple those file-management applications are, but I may have to find out one of these days.
    How about real cheap, as in FREE?
    Look for FileZ. Resco Explorer is not free but includes a real nice Backup feature.

There are other free file managers out there (discussed in a separate thread), but FileZ is simple, and very popular.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    How about real cheap, as in FREE?
    Look for FileZ. Resco Explorer is not free but includes a real nice Backup feature.

There are other free file managers out there (discussed in a separate thread), but FileZ is simple, and very popular.
    Wow. I'll have to check that out!

Thanks to you, too!
    i have fixed a couple of jacks of this problem... Basically I disable the 2in1 feature in the jack and bypass all mechanical switches.

You end up with a good mono w/ mic headset or stereo headset functionality and you can use the button for the mono headset.... just no 2in1. Internal mic also works with stereo headset on calls
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.