Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any one had any luck Zeroing Out the 700P? I am sending back a Verizon 700P today and want to be sure that none of my data lingers. I followed the procedure for the 650, but instead of a blank screen, I get red-green-blue-white checkered screen that has been non-responsive for about 7-8 minutes(and still going). I am guessing it is working. Any way to know for sure?

FYI -

Zero Out Reset
    Tungsten T5; Treo 650 only

A zero out reset will regress a device that has non-volatile memory to its factory-fresh state. When done correctly, it completely rewrites your device's internal memory with zeros and ones, ensuring that any data is expunged. It should be used only if you want all information completely obliterated (example: you're selling your handheld, or you're sending it in for repair, and want to protect your privacy).

Method Two (Tungsten T5; Treo 650)

Read through these instructions before attempting the reset. We made this method of zero out reset extremely awkward to perform, so that it would not happen by accident. You may need the help of a dextrous friend if you find it too difficult to do by yourself.
    Connect your device to its HotSync cable or cradle. The HotSync cable does not need to be connected to your PC, and it does not need to be connected to power.
    Press and hold the Power button and UP on the 5-way navigator.
    While continuing to hold Power and UP, press and hold the HotSync button on the HotSync cable or cradle. As you press HotSync, make sure your other finger doesn't slide to LEFT or RIGHT on the 5-way navigator; it needs to be exactly on UP during the entire process. Although you are pressing the HotSync button, a HotSync operation should not begin.
    While continuing to hold Power, UP and HotSync, press and release the RESET button on the back panel of your device (where's the reset hole?). This is very difficult to do with only one person; you may wish to hold the stylus in your mouth and use your hands to press Power, UP and HotSync.
    Release Power, UP and HotSync.
    If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device will go blank, and you will not be able to turn it on. The charging LED will not light up, even if it's connected to power. It will appear to be "dead." (any other activity — such as the Palm OS logo or a rainbow-colored Boot Log screen appearing — means the reset was performed incorrectly; try again)
    Your device will appear "dead" for several minutes (up to 10 minutes). During this time, your device's internal memory is being reformatted. If your device doesn't appear "dead" for several minutes with the screen completely blank, the zero out reset was performed incorrectly; try again.
    After several minutes, your device will "wake up" and the Palm and Palm Powered logos will appear as if you had performed a hard reset. Eventually, you'll be taken to a series of screens to calibrate the touchscreen and set date & time.
    Its called a hard reset. It sounds like your unti hung up on the test screen. Remove the battery for half an hour and it will be reset (zeroed out)
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3.    #3  
    Are you sure? I am very familiar with a hard reset (as I've owned plenty of Palm devices). My understanding is that a hard reset does NOT get rid of your data just like a simple reformat of computer hard drive does not "wipe" the drive. I use Secure Clean on my old hard drives before I get rid of them. The program re-writes every bit of memory removing any possibility of data recovery. If the "zero out" is a specific procedure for the Treo 650, I would imagine that there has to be a similiar procedure for the 700. I will contact Palm to find out.
    Last edited by duckhunter; 06/05/2006 at 12:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46
    Its called a hard reset. It sounds like your unti hung up on the test screen. Remove the battery for half an hour and it will be reset (zeroed out)
    I have to disagree. There is a difference between a hard reset and zero out reset.
    Moreover, removing the battery will merely act as a soft reset. The whole idea of the NVFS file structure is to preserve memory even if there is power loss.

You can do a search for “zero” under the support tab of your My Treo app to read all about the various types of resets, what they do, and how to do them.

Unfortunately it doesn’t mention specifically how to do a Zero out for the 700p.
    Hopefully the original poster will let us know if the method for the 650 worked.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    A zero out reset, overwrites your internal memory with 1's and 0's. Find out more about the different types of resets at the link below:

http://mytreo.net/treofaq/Treo650Resetting
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  6.    #6  
    No luck. The Palm tech said procedure should work though he could not get it to work himself. I have made countless efforts without success. I swear I am getting the buttons right too. Oh well. Maybe there will be some documented procedures sometime soon. Though I can't imagine that the zero out reset is high on the list for priority fixes.
    why are you returning the 700P?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter
    The Palm tech said procedure should work though he could not get it to work himself.
    HA thats kinda funny. I bet this has something to do with them messing with the button layout and the 5-way. I wish they would have left that alone. Then perhaps there wouldn't be so many issues with 3rd party software.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  9.    #9  
    Actually, I'm keeping a Sprint 700P and returning a Verizon 700P. I set up a corporate account (5 lines) at both Sprint and Verizon and wanted to do a comparison. Sprint had slightly better reception and I like their pricing plans better. Closing down the Verizon account today (14 day trial).

Overall, I am very happy with the 700P.
    I've been trying to do this on my 700P as well. Doing a zero-out reset on the 700P must be different than on the 650. I was able to do zero-outs on my 650 very easily following those directions exactly. Doing the same thing on my 700P and it gets stuck at the screen with multiple colors and I have to take my battery out to get it back to normal.

I think that screen may be the boot loader because when I had my SD card in the 700P while it was in that multi-colored screen, I saw a message that said something like "press up to update ROM".
    If anyone finds out how to do this on a 700P, please let us know.
  12.    #12  
    You could try your luck calling Palm tech. I started with Verizon customer support and they ended up forwarding me to Palm tech. If you do have success with the Zero Out, please post. Thanks.
  13.    #13  
    I just tried Palm tech again. This time the tech admitted they still need to develop procedures to Zero Out the phone. Until they do develop these procedures, he said you can go to your local Sprint or Verizon store and they can perform an equivalent to the Zero Out.
    I am serious too, will post details in 10 minutes after I confirm.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Go into the phone app, then type ##786# hit the menu key and select reset, you will be asked for your MSL code, enter it and you got yourself a Zero out reset. What say you? or
    Treoing & Loving it
  16.    #16  
    Do not have MSL. Can I get from Verizon?
    Do not have MSL. Can I get from Verizon?
    you sure can, CDMA providers are more willing to give you the MSL code because you cannot jump ship with it. Did you activate the phone by calling VZN, if yes they must have asked you to type ##5digit number# that 5 digit number is your unique MSL code.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    Go into the phone app, then type ##786# hit the menu key and select reset, you will be asked for your MSL code, enter it and you got yourself a Zero out reset. What say you? or
    It worked. The timers are not reset but everything else is back to factory specs. The MDN and MSID are back to what they were from the factory.
    Actually, I'm keeping a Sprint 700P and returning a Verizon 700P. I set up a corporate account (5 lines) at both Sprint and Verizon and wanted to do a comparison. Sprint had slightly better reception and I like their pricing plans better. Closing down the Verizon account today (14 day trial).

Overall, I am very happy with the 700P.
    I am amazed at the gall and stupidity of using 5 phones to do a test of reception. You sir only drive the prices up for others. Frankly I hope Verizon catches on to you and doesn't allow you to return the phones and holds you to the plan costs. I am a little tired of people thinking they are entitled to waste others money doing stupid things.

How would you feel to be used like that by one of your customers? I bet you would be angry.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I am amazed at the gall and stupidity of using 5 phones to do a test of reception. You sir only drive the prices up for others. Frankly I hope Verizon catches on to you and doesn't allow you to return the phones and holds you to the plan costs. I am a little tired of people thinking they are entitled to waste others money doing stupid things.

How would you feel to be used like that by one of your customers? I bet you would be angry.
    So you would recommend Verizon refuse to honor their stated return policy?

I moved a family plan from Cingular to Tmobile. All four lines. Found out the reception wasn't even remotely tolerable in my area, and switched from there to Sprint. Did I do something wrong, too? Should I have just tried it myself, and left my grandma to deal with not having reception at her house, because it worked OK for me? Or have to split up the family plan because all four people on the plan didn't try it out at the same time, and now the trial period has passed on some lines but not others? I guess I shouldn't have tried Tmobile's service for all four of my family members, either... sheesh.

There is a reason they have the 14-day return policy, and taking the opportunity to test the service on all applicable lines (I doubt he was carrying five phones in his own pocket at all times) is not unreasonable and is, indeed, the whole point of having the policy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast