Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I bought a new Seidio extended battery and charged it for 12 hours, then I completely drain it. I Charge it overnight and left the phone in my car for 8 hours, I may have used it once. The battery level was about 97%. When I got back to the car after 8 hours the battery level was at 35%. I'm thinking it an app maybe running in the back ground that was draining the battery. The day that I first drain the battery it seem very strong. Do you think it might be an app in the back ground or a battery issue? I just a hard reset to clean out some the crap that I have loaded. We'll see if that fixes it.
    --Don
    id guess your mail is checking itself very often or something is running in the background - my stock battery lasts all day even with minimal/normal use down to 30%. talk time on the stock battery alone is 4.5 hours and the extended is 33% more power so Id guess around 5=5.5 hours so no reason it should die in 8 hours that much not using it at all
    If you think it's software running in the background, list all of the 3rd party software you have installed since you got your 700P or after you hard resetted it so we can see if it is one of your apps. causing this trouble.

Are you using VersaMail?
    I've noticed mine is a battery eater compared to the 650. I'm using one of the old 650 spare batteries and the new one that came with the 700P. They both run down quickly. The new one has gone thru several charge cycles now as well. Oh well, I guess it's still a good trade off. I'll be buying an extended life battery I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    I've noticed mine is a battery eater compared to the 650. I'm using one of the old 650 spare batteries and the new one that came with the 700P. They both run down quickly. The new one has gone thru several charge cycles now as well. Oh well, I guess it's still a good trade off. I'll be buying an extended life battery I guess.
    Not having any major problem - battery life not much different from my 600 so far.

I just bought a Seidio extended battery and will report if any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23
    id guess your mail is checking itself very often or something is running in the background - my stock battery lasts all day even with minimal/normal use down to 30%. talk time on the stock battery alone is 4.5 hours and the extended is 33% more power so Id guess around 5=5.5 hours so no reason it should die in 8 hours that much not using it at all
    This is definitely the case for me... I'm now using NotifyLink push email, and having it push every 1 minute via EvDO... that's the biggest drain for me. I suppose I could live without seeing new mail every minute, but why?
    I run Chatter for realtime push via IMAP and it doesn't drain my battery any faster than my 650 from what I can tell.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Did the 650 have a much shorter battery life than the 600? This 700p drinks from it's battery like a senior on a bender - it can't get enough, and if I turn on bluetooth, I can pratically watch the blue drain out of that sad battery icon.... My 600 never treated me this way. ;-(
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    It Drains, It Drains
    Quote Originally Posted by donnyb
    I bought a new Seidio extended battery and charged it for 12 hours, then I completely drain it.

Just FWIW - I don't think you are supposed to completely drain Lithium Ion batteries. I think that is only NiCad.
    I must have a bad unit - my sprint 700 drains battery juice like a ******* - I set Chatter OFFLINE all day but still the level goes down quickly! No other apps installed that would drain battery either - looks like I need to call Sprint!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I upgraded from a 600. Use push email full time via BC and get in the range of 200 emails a day. Use about 1 hour of talk time per day. Phone comes off the charger at 3:45am and usually get placed back on the charger at 10pm on my way to bed.

The 600 would usually end the day at 50 to 60% charge on a 'normal' day. It was over 2 years old.

The new 700 gets the same usage for the last few days and ends the day at 90% so the net capacity is much better. I think the battery in the 700 is bigger.

Just on the discussions here at TC I ordered the Seido 2400mAh battery but have not recieved it yet. Likely will not need it for normal days but the reserve capacity is nice to have as the 600 found its way to a standby car charger in my truck on several occaisions.
    Due to problems with the reseller I bought my 700p from, I had to cancel the line and am waiting for the return kit (while my new 700p is currently en route to me.)

Being that I still have the phone here, I've noticed the battery life really does seem to be poor--it won't go 24 hrs without buring itself out. Now the phone is deactivated, so it is not checking emails, or picking up calls, or sending voicemail notices... just sitting on the desk, and occasionally I turn it on to check the battery life. I never installed any 3rd party apps or anything... I'm quite puzzled by this. Palm's specs indicate a standby time of up to 300 hrs, I fail to see how anything remotely close to 12.5 days could materialize.

Is it possible, even with the phone and EVDO turned off on the Treo, it's burning itself out trying to get on the network? Could it be a faulty unit? I hope this isn't typical, but after seeing this thread, I wonder....

edited to update: I removed the 700p from the charger at 3:03pm, it's now 7:38pm, it's been turned off and sitting idle. Battery indicator is already down to 68%.... that's 32% burned in just 4.5 hrs of complete and total standby. Methinks I must've gotten a bad unit?
    Last edited by 77d7; 06/06/2006 at 06:40 PM.
    This seems to be the issue with everyone. My battery is gettin killed and I have the 2400mah.
    10 hours on idle, down around 4 percent from a full charge. Mine is working fine.
    I just received my 700p last night. It was fully charged when I went to bed, however, it is now down to about 3/4 battery life without any usage and with no third party apps installed. This is with the standard battery and no phone usage during that period...ugh...
    My battery life has been really good, much better than my 650. I took my phone out with me last night, haven't had it on the charger in at least 12 hours, and it's only down to 88%, despite doing some texting and miscellaneous little tasks on it while I was out last night. If you're having turbodrain, you might want to try a hard reset and see if it still happens -- if it does, I'd think about taking it back and getting one that doesn't have that problem.
    I agree. Sprint 700p battery life is horrendous. Already down to 80% after 4 hours with stock battery!!! Help! I switched from GSM Treo which would last at least a couple of days...
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    I must have a bad unit - my sprint 700 drains battery juice like a ******* - I set Chatter OFFLINE all day but still the level goes down quickly! No other apps installed that would drain battery either - looks like I need to call Sprint!
    I've had good luck with my battery, despite having played with the Treo constantly last night. So far it seems to be better than my 650, but that could just be my imagination, since I didn't make any calls on it last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_madness
    I agree. Sprint 700p battery life is horrendous. Already down to 80% after 4 hours with stock battery!!! Help! I switched from GSM Treo which would last at least a couple of days...
    Same here. A two hour phone call on my 650 resulted in my having 60% battery life left. The same thing on my 700p ran down a lot more. I tested the exact same battery in each device following a full charge.