Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So let me get this staight, Docs2Go 8.0 is in the ROM. But as soon as the new update came out (8.03) it installed itself in the RAM. So I have a wasted xK in ROM now? Why was Docs2Go put in ROM when there is a chance that it need updating??? Should I not be updating the Docs2Go??
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Hello BabelFish.

Palm has had a long time relationship with DataViz so that Documents To Go can be bundled with a new Palm handheld.

The ROM image for the Treo 700p was built months ago, and when the ROM image was declaired "final" DataViz still continued to develop and enhance their software. As a result, we have a situation where the Treo 700p is released with Documents To Go 8.001 Professional and the latest version available is Documents To Go 8.003 Professional/Premium. The only major difference between 8.001 and 8.003 is the ability to read Adobe Acrobat files that use security.

The software in ROM is not taking up any of the space in RAM. If you don't need to access PDF files that are password protected, there is no reason to upgrade to 8.003.

Alan G
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    So let me get this staight, Docs2Go 8.0 is in the ROM. But as soon as the new update came out (8.03) it installed itself in the RAM. So I have a wasted xK in ROM now? Why was Docs2Go put in ROM when there is a chance that it need updating??? Should I not be updating the Docs2Go??
    Or...you could go into the app's options and select to move the applications to your SD card if you have one. It works very well and saved me about 7mb of ram.
    That doesn't solve the problem of the older version being in ROM. 8.003 has some bugfixes along with the capability of reading secure pdf files.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Good point. I did that with my Treo 600 when space was much more limited than on the Treo 700p.

Alan G
    All programs run from the RAM... even the ROM version is first copied
    to the RAM first. When you upgrade, the newer version replaces the
    original version giving you all the benefits (sometimes even freeing-up
    space). The upgraded version is stored in the Flash Memory so that
    you don't loose it during soft/ hard (edit: read warm instead of hard)
    resets.

So actually, you are using-up Flash memory space...
    Last edited by GreenHex; 06/04/2006 at 09:42 PM.
    That's not right. I installed 8.003 on my 700P and did a hard reset. It went back to 8.001. The only way to permanently get the updated version in ROM is to update it in ROM through a ROM upgrade from Palm or through a Rom Tool like those available for the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    That's not right.
    Sorry, not awake yet... that should be Soft or Warm Reset (NOT Hard Reset)

Hard reset replaces everything with the contents from the ROM, In case of other
    two kinds of resets, the Flash memory version is used.
    Last edited by GreenHex; 06/04/2006 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Mistake, changed RAM to ROM
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    IsLNdbOi is correct! Applications that are installed by you, the customer, are stored in the Storage Heap area of a Palm that has NVFS or in RAM on older devices. The bottom line is that if you hard reset a Palm, the contents of RAM or the Storage Heap are lost during a hard reset. Nothing happens to the data stored in NVFS or RAM during a soft reset.

Alan G
  10.    #10  
    Side Question: is it better to install software to the SD card or to just install them to the RAM (until it runs out of space).

So I am just stuck with two versions of Docs2Go. one in RAM and one in ROM. Am I understanding this correctly? If I ever removed the RAM version of the software, would to revert back to the version contained in the ROM?
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG
    The bottom line is that if you hard reset a Palm, the contents of RAM or the Storage Heap are lost during a hard reset. Nothing happens to the data stored in NVFS or RAM during a soft reset.
    Irrespective of what it's called (or Palm chooses to call them) there are
    three types of memory in the Treo: ROM, Flash and RAM.

ROM is pre-written with all the stuff that came new with the Treo.

Flash stores all the stuff that you put into the Treo: contacts, programs...

RAM is the execution and temporary storage area for programs. You
    cannot access the RAM directly, just like you cannot access it on your
    computer...

Anything that needs to be STORED, is stored in the Flash.

It is the ROM that gets written if you run the updater from Palm.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    The rule of thumb that I use is this:

Install software that needs to run when you HotSync into RAM or Storage Heap on NVFS devices. If it is software that I don't plan on using everyday, then I'll install it to the card so it won't take up memory on the Treo or Palm. All Palm OS applications (.prc files) must be run from main memory. Applications stored on a SD card can not synchronize data.

So I am just stuck with two versions of Docs2Go. one in RAM and one in ROM. Am I understanding this correctly? If I ever removed the RAM version of the software, would to revert back to the version contained in the ROM?
    Essentially, yes, if you upgrade to a newer version of Documents To Go, there will be two versions of it installed on your handheld. The version in RAM takes precidence over the version in ROM. If you delete the version in RAM, the version in ROM will continue to work. Again, the version in ROM does not tak up RAM.

Alan G
    Can I delete the DataVizTech tool carried over from my 600?
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin
    Can I delete the DataVizTech tool carried over from my 600?
    I suppose one can, but it does give you some additional functionality not available with DtoG.
    On a side note, I feel that palmPDF is superior to Docs2go's pdf viewer...and is also FREE!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    So let's say we need to read password protected file - when do you think we'll see an update from them? By putting more apps (especially by 3rd party developers) into ROM, they are "asking for it" when it comes to updates. Pocket tunes, Kinoma, everything is going to require updates... Putting things in ram to supplemental stuff in ROM is - well it's unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    I suppose one can, but it does give you some additional functionality not available with DtoG.
    What additional funcitonality? If DTG is in ROM, what beenfit from the tool?
    Laissez Faire
    In any case, the fully functional and latest versions cost $$ if embedded or not. Ya got 60MB of FLASH memory available for your apps & stuff and RAM appears not to be affected by dual installations. Fill that puppy up!
    Sorry... I was thinking of the non-ROM version, I guess.
    Would it at least store DTG documents on the card?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast