1.    #1  
    I've seen numerous posts about bluetooth working or not working or running slower than it should, etc., etc. My question is this: If everything is working as it should, how do HotSync speeds compare between a bluetooth connection and a wired USB connection?

I am still waiting for my 700p to arrive (upgrading from a 600), and I have never used bluetooth for HotSync. I am particularly interested in the initial HotSync time requirements when I set up the 700p and need to tranfer a lot of data.

If it makes any difference, I am using an iMac G5 with built-in bluetooth. If bluetooth is much slower, I will probably buy/use a USB cradle as I did for my 600, since I think the cradle is much more convenient than the plug-in cables.

Thanks. (And yes, I tried a search first and was inundated with bluetooth threads, but I couldn't find the one discussing bluetooth vs. USB.)
    Just comparing available bandwidth...

Bluetooth: versions 1.1 and 1.2 reach speeds of 723.1 kbit/s

USB: Low Speed rate of 1.5 Mbit/s (183 KiB/s) and Full speed 12 Mbit/s (1.4 MiB/s) (assuming Treos are running at USB 1.1)

So, USB can easily run at more than twice the speed of bluetooth. That's Bluetooth at its best and USB at its worst. In practice, USB is a much faster protocol. But that's no surprise; bluetooth was designed for convenience and low battery draw -- not to compete with USB speeds.

Whether for synching or surfing, a USB connection will outperform the bluetooth connection. The bluetooth connection is handy when you don't have your USB cable, don't feel like pulling it out, or just want to send a single file without messing with cables.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! That was my guess (though I didn't have any idea of the degree of USB advantage). I posted the question because I have found that I am far too fallible when making such guesses.