1.    #1  
    I did a search on this and found a couple of previous posts, but there didn't appear to be anyone who has either tried or purchased the Vivonic Fitness software.

The way the story goes, back before I purchased Visors for myself and my husband, I purchased the Vivonic Fitness Planner unit. When I got it and looked at it I realized how ridiculous it was to spend $250 on something that could only ever be a fitness pda. I sent it back, talked to a few friends, and decided to purchase Visors (one of the best decisions I have ever made).

Anyway, I found out just last week that Vivonic also makes their fitness planner software for Palm OS, so I downloaded the 5-day trial version. I used it for the 5-day period and really liked the program. I just have a problem with the $50 price tag.

Has anyone purchased the fitness planner software, or has anyone tried it and/or found something else similar or better? Before I plunk down $100 (only one person can use the software, so I'll need to get two) I'd like to get as much information as possible.
    I have this software and like it alot. There is a review of it on the gadgeteer's site from someone who's tried a bunch of similar packages, and the review is pretty positive. I have not seen a better fitness/nutrition tracking program, myself.

One thing, though, check and make sure that multiple users can use the same machine to sync their vivonic stuff to. When I got my version, multiple users was not supported (regardless of license issues). This may have changed.
    i tried the demo, which was severely limited, far as i can remember. they don't let you demo the desktop software, which is where a lot of the stuff is set up. i thought that was pretty silly.

i think it depends what you want it for. if you actually will use the nutrition aspect of it, it's probably worth the $50. if not, i would recommend something like "workout tracker" instead, which is either $20 or $30, i forget. it's excellent, except for no nutrition aspect.

mc
    Do you have a link to the vivonic site? I've been using dietlog/weightlog/exerlog since october and really like it. This is the longest period of time I've kept up with eating healthy and exercising for about 10 years! I like the dietlog software, but am always looking at what else is out there!
  5.    #5  
    I agree that the demo version of the Vivonic software is limited. I would like to see what else is available with the full registered version, but that is not possible. If Vivonic was smart, they would let you have the full version for about two weeks, enough to get you hooked on it and feel as though you are unable to live without it. After the 5-day trial version of the limited software I wondered what else was out there and asked myself if I wanted to spend this kind of money on something that I have not seen the full version of. I didn't feel like I couldn't go on without their software.

So, last night I downloaded ExerLog and DietLog and will try the full unregistered versions out for the 15-day trial period. I played around with it a little last night, but it doesn't seem as user-friendly as the Vivonic software; it definitely seems to have more and better functions, though.

Thanks for the tip, Iscline, I will definitely check into the multiple user issue with Vivonic. If we can't sync to the same machine, that will be a huge drawback. I am also going to check out gadgeteer's site and look at those reviews. Thanks, again.
  6.    #6  
    Marcy, Here's the link: Vivonic

I emailed Vivonic with a few questions that I couldn't find answers to on their website. If I find out anything interesting, I will pass it on.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    The vivonic planner is an outstanding product. The strength of this one is the ease of use on both the desktop and the handheld. There are great wizards to walk you through your health goals on the desktop and the data transfers great between the two.

Highly recommended.
    Here is the Gadgeteer review of the Vivonic:

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/vivonic-review.html

DietLog:

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/dietlog-review.html

and the SportBrain:

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/sportbrain-review.html

When I asked Judie to comment on Vivonic vs. DietLog she replied:

LanMan,
    Before I answer your question, I need to state that I used DietLog exclusively and for a l-o-n-g time, before Vivonic came out. It is a very good program, and had I not tried Vivonic, I would still be using it today.

I was interested in Vivonic because here was a company that was making a handheld device, but had the forethought to realize that some people already had a PDA they were carrying around, and that they might not want an additional device. I was impressed that they made their program avaiable for people with Palms. I also liked the fact that they said they would offer different programs for different peoples needs.

Some of the first things that I noticed were that diet & excercise were joined together very strongly. That there was massive desktop support, including the internet site, to make the program all the more custom.

I like the "back" button, instead of having to restart from scratch. I also like that their food database is humongus, and includes many of the fast foods and TV dinners that I actually eat.

Their customer service is quick to respond, even if they aren't telling you what you want to hear; like when I keep bugging them about when they will have a Pocket PC version!

As with everything, it is a matter of personal preference; I just happen to prefer Vivonic.

Judie :0)
    Last edited by LanMan; 06/01/2001 at 01:06 PM.
    <><
    the thing i didn't like about vivonic (and the reason i didn't buy it) is because it only supports 3 meals a day. i eat 5 - 6 and so do many people on a fitness program.

mc.
    Judie Clark (The Gadgeteer) suggested simply adding the additional meals to the nearest standard meal. i.e. breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I'm not an "avid" fitness guru (and it shows ), but I thought that should work okay. What about it, mensachicken?

BTW: I think that the 5-6 meals a day IS my problem.
    <><
  11.    #11  
    I have the Vivonic Fitness software and I also eat 5-6 meals a day - I do what LanMan suggested and I tack it on to the closest meal. I think that the program is awesome.
    Originally posted by LanMan
    Judie Clark (The Gadgeteer) suggested simply adding the additional meals to the nearest standard meal. i.e. breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I'm not an "avid" fitness guru (and it shows ), but I thought that should work okay. What about it, mensachicken?
    well to be honest, i just assumed that the company not having the forethought to allow you to select the number of meals you were eating was a clear indication that they weren't too intune with fitness programs in general. as a result, i decided to pass.

i am presently trying the BLF palm program ($10), which allows as many meals as you want and is pre-set for the program i follow. vivonic had told me about 6 months ago that they were planning to get the BLF program as a "plugin" or whatever they call them. however, it hasn't materialized.

mc.
    I ahve been looking for months for the perfect solution to keep track of my nutrition and workouts. I have yet to see that solution. All the fitness stuff they have now are half-baked. Workout Tracker is fairly good for workouts though.
    mensachicken, would you give us a mini-review of the Body for Life program? I have the beta version, and am thinking about the release version. However, I have never read the BLF book, so I don't know if this program would be for me. I am just breaking into the gym, and am primarily looking for wieght loss and cardio fitness. I am not really trying to look like Arnold the Terminator. I think that Vivonic would be a good fit for my purpose, but maybe you could convince me that BLF is just as good or better.

I'm am not really wanting to part with $50 if a cheaper program would work.

Thanks
    <><
    LanMan,

unless you're using the blf software with the book, it serves no purpose. the reason is that the software is configured to only run the blf program (a specific number of reps in a specific order). it is not customizable in this respect at all.

if you've never really worked out before, i highly recommend you check out the blf book, or at least some book on working out. one of the great things about getting a program--and that is drilled into you as you read the blf book--is that a big part of working out is knowing exactly what you're gonna do before you go to the gym. if you don't know, what you'll invariably end up doing is wandering from machine to maching going "okay... now i'm gonna try this one and see what happens!" well, nothing is gonna happen. you need to prepare your workouts before hand--this makes all the difference in the world.

if someone is running the blf routine then, in my opinion, they should use the blf software as it's the only software i've found that's specific for it.

the only other half-decent software i've found is Workout Tracker. if you're not using the blf routine, then workout tracker is probably better for you as it's customizable.

as for the difference betweent the "sample" version of the blf software and the release version, i don't believe there is any difference. pretty sure the author says this in the manual.

as for the software itself... well it's half decent. the guy who made it is not a programmer by trade and in parts the software is clumsy (the manual is poo), but if you're halfways intelligent you should be able to figure it out (you won't without the blf book, that's for sure). i think the software should be half the price (it's $10). but at least the thing that's cool is that the author donates the entire $10 to charity. ($5 to make a wish foundation, the author of the body for life's favorite charity, and the other half to the kidney foundation). part of the spirit of the blf program is how good sharing with other people is. the author has made his software in this spirit, which is great.

also, i'm guessing that if you're not on a program, then the reason you're keeping track of what you eat is to count calories. this is pretty much a vicous circle or dead end, and, outside of which software to use, is not a good way to lose weight.

if you're a determined person and able to stick to your goals, i highly recommnend the blf book. be the best $40 you ever spent.

hope this helps,

L.