Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All,
    I made the mistake of installing the Palm Files program that comes included on the 700P installation CD. Did not realize how redundant it was c ZLauncher. Went to uninstall now and started having probs! I have Northglide's Uninstall bundle which usually works on everything. Said it was copy protected and I needed to disable it and/reset. Of course once Unistall takes a stab at something, it doesn't work right again. I could not reopen it, said files were missing and I needed to reinstall. I reinstalled and tried to delete it immediately w/o running the Nutshell installer--no dice, same messages as above. So had to reinstall again. This time I ran the Nutshell installer and opened Files and looked to see if it had any way to disable or uninstall it. No luck. Went to Uninstall again and attempted to remove it, again same copy protected messages. Also note that each time I attempted to reinstall itself the Treo reset itself as soon as I hit the hotsyn button. So at this point I have attempted Uninstall w/o success and have an unworkable version in the Trash Can of Zlauncher--it refuses to empty it. Any thoughts? Not sure if it was causing problems anyways, but was trying to get rid of anything that may be causing the slowdown many of us are experiencing. thanks in advance for anyone's help on this one!
    Doug
    Hard reset?
  3.    #3  
    Hatch,
    Yeah, thought about it. But am really trying hard not to have to do it. It has taken several days to get everything on here, one program at a time, but am getting more tempted just hard reset to see if it fixes the white screen of doom slowdown issue. Really trying to find a less drastic way though...
    thanks,
    d
    I wonder if your "white screen of doom slowdown" issue is the same one I'm having sometimes. I've done a few hard resets, and thought the problem was gone. I was careful with the apps I installed. Sometimes when I open blazer I get a lag, white screen and the page opens (I know it's only a matter of seconds before my treo resets). It doesn't happen every time I open blazer, but it happens. I'm getting annoyed with it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Anyone else experience the "white screen of doom slowdown"?
    Jimmie Geddes
  6.    #6  
    Jimmie,
    I suspect we are all experiencing the same problem. I am beginning to think it has something to do w/ the intergration of blazer and the 700P in addition to the noted correlation of more memory consumed/apps added/increased sluggishness/white screening. I most commonly get the white screen of doom either going into or out of blazer. I have been pushing one icon button to the next in every imaginable sequence trying to get it to slowdown or reset. This is what I typically find:
    1. Powering on (red button), no probs. Powering on c home button (zlauncher via Ludus), no probs.
    2. Going from home to calendar, no probs. In fact no slowdowns c Calendar button at all unless going to/from blazer. Overall calendar button is most instantaneous.
    3. Some slowdown, though usually no "white screen.." w/ going to/from phone button (green send thanks to Ludus). Seems to take a few extra seconds to load all the sprint icons on the phone screen and "hangs up" slowly after a call.
    4. Most (say 50%) of presses of the Phone button (now Blazer via Ludus) results in a slowdown while blazer loads--upwards of 10 sec +. Sometimes c a need to do a soft reset.
    5. Nearly 100% slowdown/white screen when exiting blazer and tapping any other major icon key. Also multiple soft resets required or spont when coming out of blazer--typically when going from blazer to email button (Chatter). Hit/miss so chatter probably is NOT the problem--though I did reinstall it twice to see--still have problem either way.
    6. The email button (chatter) is pretty responsive. Going from home (zlauncher) and calendar buttons is quick. However, slowdown (slight) c send (phone), while pretty significant c phone (web) button.
    7. One more thing , are any of you have a "dark screen of death" after a soft/spont reset? If I perform a soft reset or it happens spont, the access screen appears first, then the palm screen (for what seems like an eternity), then the sprint phone screen turns on for about 2 secs, then the screen turns off, red LED light comes on and about 1 minute latter the sprint phone screen comes on c the lock out/key push footer. I push it and it goes to find the network and all is well. But overall, the reset process lasts nearly twice as long as on the 650. Is this something you all are experiencing too?

Is this want many of you are experiencing? Do any of you have the Palm Files program installed? I would love to get rid of it, but again my slowdown started BEFORE I installed it. Has gotten worse c the more apps I have added and improved (somewhat) by offloading programs to card via Zlauncher. Currently am at 31 MB available on main memory and 3.6 GBs on card. Any other thoughts on the slowdown?? If I don't have many more spont resets or hangups on blazer that force me to do a soft reset, I can live c the delays until one of you figure out a fix or palm gives us an update, but it sure is annoying!!
    I don't have the Palm Files app, and it only happened once to me today. I thought it was chatter as well, but like you I removed it and still happened. This only happens to me with blazer. Like I said, it only happens occasionally.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I have the Palm Files application loaded and I did get the white screen slow down while I was exiting the MobiTV application. I don't think I will be using the 700p for watching streaming TV, so I will be uninstalling MobiTV.

Alan G
    ArmyDoc,

This may be something you've already considered, but have you tried any backup apps? I used Right Backup on my 650, and I'd do a backup right before installing any new apps. It's a small pain, but it certainly comes in handy if you start getting weird functionality after installing something new and it makes hard resets a lot less painful. Just a suggestion...
    Brickjr, I did what you suggested. I made a backup before installing new apps, and still have the problem even going back to a restore. This is frustrating. It hasn't happened once today so far, the last tine was yesterday around 12:30 pm. It's so weird.
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 06/05/2006 at 09:08 AM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Brickjr, I did what you suggested. I made a backup before installing new apps, and still have the problem even going back to a restore. This is frustrating. It hasn't happened once today so far, the last tine was yesterday around 12:30 pm. It's so weird.
    Actually, the best option is this... do a hard reset, then install your backup software and one or two apps at most. Run for a couple days to make sure you're stable. If so, create a backup point. Then install another program or two and follow the same steps. You should be able to figure out which programs are giving you problems without having to go back to scratch when you find them.

Again, it's a pain in the ****, but that's what worked for my 650...
    Ok I do not want to start a thread on this and I have done research on this matter.I just need some step by step info.My on demand keeps giving me and error when I try to update.The error says can not find app please reinstall.
    1. I do not know how to deinstall a App.
    2. How do I install once I deinstall.
    3. If it's(On demand) sync to my desktop once I sync to computer it will change the new app back to the old app.How do I keep this from happening.

PLEASE HELP.THANKS IN ADVANCED.

JOEY
    sounds like a hard reset might be your best option to get on demand back since I don't know where you're going to find the app.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Anyone else experience the "white screen of doom slowdown"?
    It's a 700p thing. The memory management is messed up. You'll have to give Palm a few months to fix it.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Brickjr's backup strategy isn't meant as a fix, but rather a safety mechanism to make troubleshooting easier.
    I think 2000man is correct with it being a 700p thing and the memory management issue.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I did a hard rest but when I went to sync my phone to the computer it put the old on demand back on the phone.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDoc
    Jimmie,
    I suspect we are all experiencing the same problem. I am beginning to think it has something to do w/ the intergration of blazer and the 700P in addition to the noted correlation of more memory consumed/apps added/increased sluggishness/white screening. I most commonly get the white screen of doom either going into or out of blazer. I have been pushing one icon button to the next in every imaginable sequence trying to get it to slowdown or reset. This is what I typically find:
    1. Powering on (red button), no probs. Powering on c home button (zlauncher via Ludus), no probs.
    2. Going from home to calendar, no probs. In fact no slowdowns c Calendar button at all unless going to/from blazer. Overall calendar button is most instantaneous.
    3. Some slowdown, though usually no "white screen.." w/ going to/from phone button (green send thanks to Ludus). Seems to take a few extra seconds to load all the sprint icons on the phone screen and "hangs up" slowly after a call.
    4. Most (say 50%) of presses of the Phone button (now Blazer via Ludus) results in a slowdown while blazer loads--upwards of 10 sec +. Sometimes c a need to do a soft reset.
    5. Nearly 100% slowdown/white screen when exiting blazer and tapping any other major icon key. Also multiple soft resets required or spont when coming out of blazer--typically when going from blazer to email button (Chatter). Hit/miss so chatter probably is NOT the problem--though I did reinstall it twice to see--still have problem either way.
    6. The email button (chatter) is pretty responsive. Going from home (zlauncher) and calendar buttons is quick. However, slowdown (slight) c send (phone), while pretty significant c phone (web) button.
    7. One more thing , are any of you have a "dark screen of death" after a soft/spont reset? If I perform a soft reset or it happens spont, the access screen appears first, then the palm screen (for what seems like an eternity), then the sprint phone screen turns on for about 2 secs, then the screen turns off, red LED light comes on and about 1 minute latter the sprint phone screen comes on c the lock out/key push footer. I push it and it goes to find the network and all is well. But overall, the reset process lasts nearly twice as long as on the 650. Is this something you all are experiencing too?

Is this want many of you are experiencing? Do any of you have the Palm Files program installed? I would love to get rid of it, but again my slowdown started BEFORE I installed it. Has gotten worse c the more apps I have added and improved (somewhat) by offloading programs to card via Zlauncher. Currently am at 31 MB available on main memory and 3.6 GBs on card. Any other thoughts on the slowdown?? If I don't have many more spont resets or hangups on blazer that force me to do a soft reset, I can live c the delays until one of you figure out a fix or palm gives us an update, but it sure is annoying!!

ArmyDoc, the "c" key on your keyboard must be broken, there are a bunch of errant c's in your post.

Might want to look into that, makes reading your post a bit difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    ArmyDoc, the "c" key on your keyboard must be broken, there are a bunch of errant c's in your post.

Might want to look into that, makes reading your post a bit difficult.
    I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but "c" is often used as shorthand for "with". Reread the post with that in mind and it makes complete sense. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ons/icon10.gif
    c = with
    s = without
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast