Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When my screen is on, i can hear a faint high pitched hissing, much like those old school CRT television sets. Anybody else notice this? I don't hear it when using the earbuds, just on the phone itself.
    just out of curiosity, how old are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by hatch151990
    LOL. Way to help...

I haven't heard hissing at all. You may want to take that one back for sure. Doesn't sound safe...
  4.    #4  
    wasn't expecting that response. I'm 27. Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?
    im serious, when your born you can hear an extremely wide spectrum, but as you get older that spectrum gets samaller, for example most people completley lose the ability to hear high frequency noise after about 40. Most electronics produce some kind of high frequncey noise, a good example of this is if you have a tv with a large power supply (crt, rear projection or even old tube tv's), if you put the tv on mute and listen closley and havent lost your ability to hear high frequency nosie, you can hear a a very high pitched constant tone (it drives me crazy). in an extremely quite room i can hear a high pitched tone inside the treo to, but im a teenager.
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs112
    wasn't expecting that response. I'm 27. Just out of curiosity, why do you ask?
    so its enitrly possible u just have better hearing than most people.
    he's probably a youngin thats like "WHAT?! CRT Televisions?! That's unheard of!" haha
    Well I'm 28 and I don't hear it, am I retarded?
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    Well I'm 28 and I don't hear it, am I retarded?
    Like i said, not everybody can hear it and those who can usually lose the abilty after a while.

Edit: is it just me or is your avatar a little kreepy?
  10.    #10  
    so its enitrly possible u just have better hearing than most people.
    I can hear that hissing from an old CRT television if i'm in the same house, drives me nuts too. That hissing from the treo, when the screen is on, is coming directly from the phone's ear piece. I've RMA'ed a Creative MP3 player because it did the same thing (only when the display was on) and the replacement came back perfect.

That's why I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed this. Granted it's purpose isn't high quality sound like the mp3 player, but if my treo is the only one doing this... I might be inclined to go through the trouble of getting it replaced
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs112
    That hissing from the treo, when the screen is on, is coming directly from the phone's ear piece.
    I've seen that happen a couple of times, not with treo's speciflcly but i have a crappy mother board and the onboard sound card picks up the nosie form the hard drive and cd drives spinning up and amplifies it through the speakers. it usually result's from circuits running to close toghter and having EM interferance bleed over from one circuit to the other, poor grounding and/or shielding. if thats the case then you should definitly try sending it back as it could be a manufactoring defect.
    Some of the clie ux-50's had that problem, a lot of people heard it, mine was very faint. I think someone actually made a program that stopped it, you might want to search for clie screen whine, that might help. In the end I'd take it back though, if it drives you nuts.
    I hear it too, what tint does your screen have (check the screen tint post)
    Treoing & Loving it
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    I hear it too, what tint does your screen have (check the screen tint post)
    Interesting that you mention that. It does have that reddish/brown tint to it at times. It's not as noticeable to me indoors as it is in my car outside.
    I believe the two issues are related. in the phone app dial ##786 and share with us your warranty date please (i have a theory)
    Treoing & Loving it
    also share with the your observations regarding the camera in low light conditions.
    Treoing & Loving it
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    I believe the two issues are related. in the phone app dial ##786 and share with us your warranty date please (i have a theory)
    Warranty Date: 5-10-2006
    Software Rev: Treo700p-1.08-SPNT
    Hardware Rev: A
    Reconditioned Status: No

So let's hear your theory
    I believe, and this based on no facts just gut feeling, that some of these Treos (Warr Date 10 and 11) have some type of grounding problem. PArticularly if the screen has a tint to it, they seem to hiss and take crappy pictures in low light conditions.
    Treoing & Loving it
    I hear the noise too - and my warranty date is 12. Only happens when I hold the phone at certain angles.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by treomatt
    I hear the noise too - and my warranty date is 12. Only happens when I hold the phone at certain angles.
    Wow.... that hissing is really bothering me. How long is the warranty on these phones? I'm not sure i want to get it replaced right now and end up with the same batch and same problem... maybe wait a few months?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast