Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Anyone ever get a test pattern after a reset and not be able to get past it? At the Sprint store now. Tried every conceivable type of reset, but doesn't seem like the device is recognizing the inputs. Anyone have ideas? It struck once before, but removing the battery fixed. Each time it's been caused when phone resets while connected either to power cable or full hot synch cable.
    Last edited by mal5z; 06/04/2006 at 08:39 PM.
    try clicking all the keys.. make sure a key's not stuck in a down position
    i find it has a long delay and then it goes through the process

Fred
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Any idea how long a delay? I've let it go as long as about 45 mins? Tried clicking all the keys, too. Nothing. The Sprint store gave up. Told me to mail it back.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Here's the solution: pull the battery out for minutes, not seconds. I guess any residual charge needs to drain. Discovered this at the Sprint store, when after hours looking for a solutionm they pulled the battery out and left it out while calling customer care to see if they were allowed to process an exchange. I'm still doing a mail exchange. Obviously something wrong with this phone (since the problem reappeared since the Sprint store), but at least now I know the temporary solution.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Last post on this issue, since I can see that nobody else is having the same issue. But, for posterity (i.e., when someone does have the issue), I've pretty well concluded that it is a hardware problem, not a software problem. Now that my Treo works intermittently between episodes of seeing the test pattern of death, I took the opportunity to do a hard reset. Even on a completely empty Treo, I cannot so a soft reset with the test pattern appearing and freezing the machine, necessitating taking the battery out for about 1 minute.

Signing off now. Hope this helps someone in the future.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mal5z
    Last post on this issue, since I can see that nobody else is having the same issue. But, for posterity (i.e., when someone does have the issue), I've pretty well concluded that it is a hardware problem, not a software problem. Now that my Treo works intermittently between episodes of seeing the test pattern of death, I took the opportunity to do a hard reset. Even on a completely empty Treo, I cannot so a soft reset with the test pattern appearing and freezing the machine, necessitating taking the battery out for about 1 minute.

Signing off now. Hope this helps someone in the future.
    I DID see the test pattern of death, ONCE. It was actually the first time I had to reset it. I was worried because I couldn't get out of it for a while. I kept taking out the battery and putting it back but it would still be there. Eventually, I got the screen to go away. It's now been a week and I haven't seen it at all. I hope your problem goes away. This may be firmware related as there are many problems with this device as you may be aware of. My complaints have to do with how freaking SLOW this phone is. Let us know if the situation improves.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    After a lot of research, I have discovered that the rainbow boot screen is intended to pop up when you press reset while simultaneously holding down the hotsync button on the cable. Since I have independently been getting a lot of randomly generated hot syncs (even when the cable isn't plugged in), I am guessing that there is a short that is permanently connecting the two pins that generate a hot sync. (Pressing the hot sync button apprently just connects two pins to start the hot synch process.) Because of that short, every time I reset it's like holding down the hot sync button and telling the Treo to go to the rainbow boot screen. Because the short is permanent, a reset doesn't fix the problem, because it's just telling the Treo to go back to the rainbow screen. So I'm screwed. Back to the 650 for a couple days until the next 700 arrives.
    After a lot of research, I have discovered that the rainbow boot screen is intended to pop up when you press reset while simultaneously holding down the hotsync button on the cable. Since I have independently been getting a lot of randomly generated hot syncs (even when the cable isn't plugged in), I am guessing that there is a short that is permanently connecting the two pins that generate a hot sync. (Pressing the hot sync button apprently just connects two pins to start the hot synch process.) Because of that short, every time I reset it's like holding down the hot sync button and telling the Treo to go to the rainbow boot screen. Because the short is permanent, a reset doesn't fix the problem, because it's just telling the Treo to go back to the rainbow screen. So I'm screwed. Back to the 650 for a couple days until the next 700 arrives.
    Yes! Just reset with nothing plugged in and your are set.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Doesn't work. Even with nothing plugged in, the short in the 700 convinces it that I'm holding down the hotsync button.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Anyone ever get a test pattern after a reset and not be able to get past it?
    Yep, a friend had this happen to her 650 just this week. Sounds like the exact same things you report but with even more evidence pointing to a short between HotSync pins.

We were able to get past the bootloader screen twice when the battery was left out for hours at a time. However, both times after only a few minutes of use the HotSync app would launch by itself and would be completely unexitable. Screen taps within the HotSync app were recognized but no button presses would exit the app. A subsequent reset would then bring up the bootloader screen. No type of reset (standard, safe, hard) after that would clear the bootloader screen. Eventually we gave up and she took it to a Sprint store where they replaced it (out of warranty, no insurance) for $55.

ERic
    This screen you guys speak of, it wouldn't by chance be one with four quadrants, each quadrant one color, is it? I think the colors were blue, red, green, and white.

That's what shows up when you try to get into the bootloader or try to do a Treo 650 type zero out reset.

The only way to get out of that screen is to remove the battery.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    This screen you guys speak of, it wouldn't by chance be one with four quadrants, each quadrant one color, is it? I think the colors were blue, red, green, and white.

That's what shows up when you try to get into the bootloader or try to do a Treo 650 type zero out reset.

The only way to get out of that screen is to remove the battery.
    Yes, it was the bootloader screen. Same one I had when doing my FAT32 custom ROM on my old 650. The "remove the battery" solution does not reliably work if you apparently have a shorted HotSync connection.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Eventually, even removing the battery for hours doesn't fix the problem. In any event, it's definitely a hardware problem. Just replace the phone when it starts happening. I sent mine back and have never seen it on the new one.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    As I just noted in my recent post, I got this screen on my 700p while trying to perform a hard reset. First I got an "update ROM? yes/no" screen; I selected "no" and got the color bar screen.

Is it possible that this isn't a hardware problem in my case, but that I simply pushed the wrong combination of keys?

Much thanks,

reubkov