Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Is anyone else's 700p attempting to hot sync at random in the middle of the night? It's not plugged into my computer, so the trigger has to be internal, but I'm not sure how to figure out what is causing it.
    See my post elsewhere about HotSync button on the USB cable not working.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=116355

After coming to work I noticed another instance of a HotSync attempt. Strange.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    If yours is doing random hot syncs, be careful. It appears to have been a short between the pins that, when connected (as they are intentionally when the hot sync button is pressed), generate a hot sync. The result was that when my 700 reset, it always sensed that the hot sync button was being held down (as a result of the short), which happens to be the sequence (reset with hot sync button depressed) to bring up a test-pattern-like ROM boot screen. Eventually, I couldn't get past the screen at all. I have to exchange the device. There's a post I wrote on this if you search for the terms rainbow, boot, and screen.
    Mal5z, thanks. I do have some hope left. The random HotSyncing stopped after a soft reset. I mentioned this to a Sprint Treo help guy - the fourth person after going from one rep to another over an hour period. He mentioned that I needed a hard reset too. So far no random syncs. We shell see whether it took the care of the cable button problem. I will sync at home.

I asked the guy what if the problem does not go away and reappears after the first successful sync:

"...then you have a bad device."

I am still puzzled by Done button not responding to the center key in the 5-way navigator. It responds to a tap on the screen though. I have noticed that in HotSync -> Log -> Done.

I did hard reset my Treo700p. After gong to HotSync and tapping Log I get screen with msg: Never synchronized. Clicking the navigator's center key on Done produces no action. Tapping Done on screen closes the window and gets me back to HotSync.

I tried this sequence on my GSM Treo 600, and it does respond to the center key on Done. Anyone noticed that?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Wish I had a 700p that I could test for you. I'm hoping my replacement comes tomorrow.

If I were you, I'd get the process going for a replacement, particularly since you're still within the 14-day return period. As I've learned, it's not as easy as walking to the store and swapping, since no stores have the phone. But Sprint will mail you a new phone and a kit for returning the old one. If you get that going before your phone blows up, you won't be phoneless like me. The fact that you had random hot syncs like me is cause for some concern. I haven't heard anyone else echoing the problem, and mine too was intermittent until it suddenly became fatal. Since mine was pretty clearly a hardware problem, I'd find it difficult to believe that yours is truly just a software problem (as the Treo guy seemed to think was possible). If it were, you'd be the only guy reporting that software problem. I can understand me being the only guy to report a particular type of hardware problem, since hardware problems are caused by real-world problems (moisture, shaking/dropping, bad assembly) and can be totally random. But I'd be pretty surprised if you had a software problem that nobody else has reported.
    Mal5z:

Thank you for posting back. It always helps when one has a shared experience. Bad news though, hard reset did not clear the problem. I only get one HotSync with the button and then it does not work anymore. Soft reset seems to prevent random Hot Syncs from occuring (as did the hard reset).

How did you start your replacement process? Was it with Palm or Sprint? I have another issue still not solved, when I dial Sprint VM from my Treo, I get a message that the number I am dialing (my own) is out of service. Other than that I receive and make calls. (For about 1/2 day during the switch from T-Mobile to Sprint pressing Sprint VM button on Treo would send me to T-Mobile VM.)
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    The VM problem is probably a network issue that Sprint can clear up for you.

As for where to return the phone, who did you buy it from? I bought mine from Sprint telesales, so I called them and they are sending me both a return kit and a new phone. But if you bought directly from Palm, you probably have to deal with Palm. Good luck.
    I got my Treo 700p via web order from Palm. I called Palm at 813-313-4913 and talked to the support. I got an SR# and was told to call sales center at 800-881-7256. After selcting option 1 for Treo, selected option 4 for returns.

I am going to get a new unit and a return box for the old one. I am to wait for an email with the details. I should receive it within 24 to 72 hours. So far, so good.

I can start working now on fixing the VM issue.