Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Execuse for starting a new thread on this. I just felt so strong to warn people of this serious issue. The Treo is painfully slow. Having to encounter 2-3 secs of while screen lags to switch apps is JUST NOT ACCEPATABLE. The more apps you put on it, the slower it gets.

Sorry,
    forget to mention is there is fix for it. Hard reset the unit and refrain from installing further apps or using email!!!

Had I known better, I would've gotten the 650 or stayed with my 600. I mean that.
    Feel free to leave the PalmOS or the Treo700p all together...

Advising others of the speed of the device has been covered at nausea in these threads... no further outbursts in new threads are necessary...

Best of luck to you - and I wish you no regret when a ROM update is released to address the issue.... new devices often require consumer feedback for a few months before they are where we "the power users" want them to be

G'day...
    -jscott
    Thank you for being so thoughtful… ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj
    Feel free to leave the PalmOS or the Treo700p all together...

Advising others of the speed of the device has been covered at nausea in these threads... no further outbursts in new threads are necessary...

Best of luck to you - and I wish you no regret when a ROM update is released to address the issue.... new devices often require consumer feedback for a few months before they are where we "the power users" want them to be

G'day...
    jscottc, he has a legitimate complaint. For months people have been told that this device fixed the earlier speed problems and the reality is he spent $$$ and got less then he had before. If you can't handle that is an issue you are the one who needs a bit of schooling in outbursts. To buy a new product which is an update (generation 3) of an existing product and they still do not have it right is an issue. For you to assume there is a ROM update in the works that will remedy this is out of line unless you have inside information you wish to share with us. Do you? If not lay off the guy he has a legitimate gripe.
    It's certainly a legitimate gripe. All of the fanboys will try to say things like it's just as fast as the 650 but fail to provide any pbench scores. My 650 clocks nearly 1400 in the pbench and no one with a 700p has gotten past about half of that.

ROM update? Yeah, in about six months.
    please move on to another device...you are wasting message board space...
    it is slower sometimes. overall mine is faster but does experience slow downs.

there is something going on.

this board is for dealing with treo issues.

the 700 is a worthwhile upgrade in my view but there is something up and palm needs to know about it.

I think the post above mine is a big waste.
    I just ran pbench on my Treo 650 and Treo 700p. Relative to my 650, the 700p was slower on all counts, but not by a ton...

Arithmetics: -3% (475% to 461%)
    Heap Management: -0.3% (356% to 355%)
    Data access: -37% (931% to 585%)
    Graphics: -14% (1116% to 963%)

Maybe my Treo 650 was slow too?

While my 700p isn't a speed daemon, it's very useable. I'm happy to put up with it until they upgrade the firmware or I can buy a 750p.

Should I copy this reponse to the other "my 700p is too slow" threads too? Just kiddin'.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    I just don't understand the loyalty some of these customers show to manufacturers such as Palm, Apple, Sony etc. I mean these are companies which only care for one thing, profits. It's not like they are giving away their products for dirt cheap, quite the contrary, we have to shell out big bucks and usually still get a half-assed product. I never, ever owned any electronic equipment which I could honestly believe to be flawless. These overpaid executives are laughing all the way to the bank because we choose to accept these terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    I just ran pbench on my Treo 650 and Treo 700p. Relative to my 650, the 700p was slower on all counts, but not by a ton...

Arithmetics: -3% (475% to 461%)
    Heap Management: -0.3% (356% to 355%)
    Data access: -37% (931% to 585%)
    Graphics: -14% (1116% to 963%)

Maybe my Treo 650 was slow too?

While my 700p isn't a speed daemon, it's very useable. I'm happy to put up with it until they upgrade the firmware or I can buy a 750p.

Should I copy this reponse to the other "my 700p is too slow" threads too? Just kiddin'.
    Data access is the only one that matters and your 650 was almost twice as fast as your 700p. That's a big difference. For comparison, my 650 scores almost 1400% on data access!
    It's not a matter of blind loyalty on my part, or me attempting to flame or pile on anyone in particular - it's just been covered time and time again...

Mine isn't as fast as I want it to be or as fast as I think it could and "should" be for that matter... however, as Dutch noted, it's worthy upgrade (at least in my opinion) for the the vastly increased memory and EVDO capability alone... any Treo650 user, that utilized the web and/or need 1gb + SD, i think would agree...

so, though legit (which i never debated or denied), still unnecessary for a new post in my opinion...

if i offended the original poster... most sincere apologies...

G'day...
    -jscott
    I don't really understand how Palm is at fault completely when I'm certain that a lot of older apps are what are causing the slowdowns. My Treo is plenty fast, but I noticed when re-installing older apps that I would get lag and even a crash or two. Don''t you guys think that when we get some updated apps that are designed to work with the new version of frankengarnet we'll solve some of these issues?

Patience is a virtue. I, for one, welcome our new 700p overlords.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Data access is the only one that matters and your 650 was almost twice as fast as your 700p. That's a big difference. For comparison, my 650 scores almost 1400% on data access!
    But it doesn't feel twice as slow. Searching hundreds of memos, searching my calendar, moving around ... it feels about the same. A little bit of latency, but by no means sluggish. I did a bunch of stuff (switching around apps and searching for stuff) on both my 650 and 700p side-by-side; they respond almost identically.
    nice post jscott!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    nice post jscott!
    Thanks Dutch...

Tryin' to learn, contribute & be honorable to the community all at the same time... damn, this is hard work - http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif
    -jscott
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    But it doesn't feel twice as slow. Searching hundreds of memos, searching my calendar, moving around ... it feels about the same. A little bit of latency, but by no means sluggish. I did a bunch of stuff (switching around apps and searching for stuff) on both my 650 and 700p side-by-side; they respond almost identically.
    I'd have to see it to believe it. Please play some music with ptunes in the background, switch around a bunch of apps and then get back to me. My 650 doesn't skip. The 700p skips even with no other software loaded. Add some programs to the 700p and it gets much, much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    I'd have to see it to believe it. Please play some music with ptunes in the background, switch around a bunch of apps and then get back to me. My 650 doesn't skip. The 700p skips even with no other software loaded. Add some programs to the 700p and it gets much, much worse.
    Yeah. I've got several programs on both. Playing a song on both, I can get a skip if I move around apps. It's much easier to get the 700p to skip.

I guess I just don't use my phone as an MP3 player. At this point, if you're looking for strong multimedia support, 700w or another PPC smartphone might be a better option (I dunno, no experience with any of 'em).

With the slight reddish tint on my 700p screen, the fact that -- for a fraction of second -- on startup the screen is a little pixelated and the reduced speed are all a little disappointing. But in my day-to-day use, the EVDO connection makes it worth the trade-off. I can see how it might not be worth it for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnewtonne
    Execuse for starting a new thread on this. I just felt so strong to warn people of this serious issue. The Treo is painfully slow. Having to encounter 2-3 secs of while screen lags to switch apps is JUST NOT ACCEPATABLE. The more apps you put on it, the slower it gets.

Sorry,
    forget to mention is there is fix for it. Hard reset the unit and refrain from installing further apps or using email!!!

Had I known better, I would've gotten the 650 or stayed with my 600. I mean that.
    This is a big reason I am waiting for an 800S (Symbian), 800L (Linux), or dream of all dreams, 800M (Mac). I refuse to further support Palm OS and I will be damned if I am moving to Windows Mobile.

Maybe the Linuxification of Palm OS will be a good thing, but the Palm OS was a dinosaur YEARS ago, and not acceptable for me in 2006.
    800M? LOL. We might see that in the future in 2X the life of FrankenGarnet.

Bring on Linux, can't wait. Windows? Hell no.
    I can't remember exactly, but was the Treo 650 perfect when it was first released or did it take multiple firmware updates to get it to the point its at today? http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/rolleyes.gif
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast