Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    In responding to the orginal thread subject, I find the 700p to be about the same as the 650 in terms of speed. Maybe side-by-side I'd notice, and I admit it has been about 9 months since I returned my last 650 (in disgust), but I feel like the 700p is just as fast or slow as the 650 ever was. Just my $.02 on this topic.

About the prosects of Apple making a smart phone. We can only wish. They know how to design the best interfaces and as has been said, their stuff usually works very, very well. Apple would never, EVER introduce a product like the 650, which was essentially the Treo 700p beta.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    For what it is worth, I'm not seeing any real world slow down when comparing the performance of the Treo 700p (Sprint) with any of my other PDAs like the Tungsten T5, LifeDrive, or Treo 600.

I am also keeking the number of third-party software packages to the minium required.

Alan G
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG
    For what it is worth, I'm not seeing any real world slow down when comparing the performance of the Treo 700p (Sprint) with any of my other PDAs like the Tungsten T5, LifeDrive, or Treo 600.

I am also keeking the number of third-party software packages to the minium required.

Alan G
    That's what's helping you out. When I got rid of Butler, Uninstall manager, and Pref Doctor, my 700p was usable again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj
    It's not a matter of blind loyalty on my part, or me attempting to flame or pile on anyone in particular - it's just been covered time and time again....
    And it needs to be repeated often, it needs to be the squeeky wheel, the noise needs to attract attention, users should not be shy about posting their complaints about the 700p's performance...if everyone stops talking about it, Palm will delay fixing it. This issue should be talked up as often as possible.
    I am also keeping the number of third-party software packages to the minium required.

Alan G
    Why? To mask or minimize a performance problem with the 700p? Why do you suppose Palm added memory?
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdoran
    And it needs to be repeated often, it needs to be the squeeky wheel, the noise needs to attract attention, users should not be shy about posting their complaints about the 700p's performance...if everyone stops talking about it, Palm will delay fixing it. This issue should be talked up as often as possible.
    A M E N.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Why? To mask or minimize a performance problem with the 700p? Why do you suppose Palm added memory?
    I keep the third-party memory to a minimum because hacks and other applications that alter the under pinnings of the Palm OS only serve to destablize the the Treo or Palm handhelds.

I know that many of the Palm enthusiests are always pushing the limits of their Palm, but the average customer never loads third-part software. It is against the "out of the box" software that Palm and the carriers do their testing. They can not be held responsible for issues that arise from the installation of third-party software.

No Palm handheld is ever perfect, and I'm not saying that they are.

Alan G
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    That's what's helping you out. When I got rid of Butler, Uninstall manager, and Pref Doctor, my 700p was usable again.
    So basically if you don't use the 700p for anything, don't load any software onto it and don't use the software that came loaded into ROM (ptunes), it works moderately well? Sweet.

AlanG, please try using ptunes after syncing over a few hundred contacts. No third party software or anything. The 700p is slow as dirt.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Actually, I find the Treo 700p very functional just as it is. I do have several hundred contacts, 352 to be exact. I do plan on testing out the PocketTunes 3.1.5 with two CDs worth of 128-bit encoded .mp3 files.

I'm sorry I don't share you opinion of the Treo 700p. To each his own.

Alan G
    Actually, I find the Treo 700p very functional just as it is. I do have several hundred contacts, 352 to be exact. I do plan on testing out the PocketTunes 3.1.5 with two CDs worth of 128-bit encoded .mp3 files.

I'm sorry I don't share you opinion of the Treo 700p. To each his own.

Alan G
    Also be sure to run pbench and post your results.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Has pbench been updated for the Treo 700p? And if so, where can I get it?

Alan G
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Didn't bother with the 650 given the lack of EVDO and the memory problems. But the 700p is much faster than the 600p. I'm extremely satisfied so far. Now only if it was a tad smaller.
    Has pbench been updated for the Treo 700p? And if so, where can I get it?

Alan G
    pbench works on the 700p. You can find the link in these forums. I don't think that anyone has cracked 800 yet on the 700p.
    I find this thread kinda scary. I will be receiving my 700p tomorrow (verizon). Once I activate it, I will not be able to go back to my 650 (it was "verizonfied" from Sprint and vz will no longer allow non-vz ESN's to be activated, or re-activated).

Slowness is a big issue for me. I particularly remember how pathetic the favorites and speed dial were on the 650 prior to the firmware update. Can anyone comment on how these features work on the 700? Is it as bad as the initial release of the 650?

I have over 2000 contacts in my database. Am I about to get killed with this device?

Also, has anyone experienced this problem on the Verizon version of the 700p (just in case this is a carrier specific issue)?
    Palm V --> Clie 610 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 ("verizonfied") --> Treo 650 ("verizonfied") --> Vz Treo 700p -->AT&T Tilt
    Just don't activate your 700p. Play with it for a few days and load all of your normal software onto it. Download pbench and check the speed. Play with ptunes and see just how badly it skips for you in the background.

Outside of the horribly slow processor/memory/OS, the 700p is a good device. The web is much better than the 650 and the earpiece is clearer and louder as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    I find this thread kinda scary. I will be receiving my 700p tomorrow (verizon). Once I activate it, I will not be able to go back to my 650 (it was "verizonfied" from Sprint and vz will no longer allow non-vz ESN's to be activated, or re-activated).

Slowness is a big issue for me. I particularly remember how pathetic the favorites and speed dial were on the 650 prior to the firmware update. Can anyone comment on how these features work on the 700? Is it as bad as the initial release of the 650?

I have over 2000 contacts in my database. Am I about to get killed with this device?

Also, has anyone experienced this problem on the Verizon version of the 700p (just in case this is a carrier specific issue)?
    The slowness, to the extent there it is there, is in app switching.

The problem you describe from the early days of the 650 are not present in the 700p. I found those problems much more aggravating. I can generally wait a second while moving from app to app. I cannot when I need to place a call. Of course, no lag at all would be best.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I have performed Palm Bench v1.0 tests on all of my current devices on hand. The only device that I don't have is a Treo 650. My results are what they are, take 'em or leave 'em. I'm more interested in real world performance, which I'm happy with.

Alan G
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I have performed Palm Bench v1.0 tests on all of my current devices on hand. The only device that I don't have is a Treo 650. My results are what they are, take 'em or leave 'em. I'm more interested in real world performance, which I'm happy with.

Alan G
    Wow! Anyone want to buy my barely-used T5 with tons of accessories? And no wonder I'm not complaining going from my Sprint 600 to my Verizon 700p!

Alan G
    Ouch! Those are some of the worst scores yet. Data access is the one that counts and yours is about 500. My 650 gets nearly 1400!

Real world performance backs up the pbench numbers too. Things like playing ptunes in the background while loading other apps.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I have to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. With the issues being reported here as well as discussions in another thread about a strange "hue" on some screens, I xceld my order for my 700P yesterday. I do plan on upgrading at some point (read-firmware update), but for now, my 650 will do fine.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast